Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 Retractable Spoiler/Deck Lid Alignment fix???

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 08:30 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackOptic
So... someone just pinged me on this.

I didn’t move the spoiler, but I did open up the engine lid and twisted the small black rubber bumpers that control alignment of the engine lid. These bumpers move in and out to and allow you to adjust the height just enough to fix it.
Thanks for sharing. I just aligned my engine lid by twisting the rubber grommets. Looks much better.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:42 AM
SH2
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 51 Posts

Some pics of the grommets being adjusted would be helpful
Old 02-13-2019, 07:21 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Adjusting Engine Lid

Originally Posted by CCDD
Some pics of the grommets being adjusted would be helpful
To raise the engine lid upward turn each (x2) rubber grommet counterclockwise. To lower the lid turn each grommet clockwise. Start your adjustments at 1/4 to 1/2 turn at each grommet and close the lid to verify the height in respect with your rear spoiler edge closes to the grommets local.

Counterclockwise turn on rubber grommet raises lid.

Clockwise turn on rubber grommet lowers lid.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:16 AM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts
Default You made me look at mine :)

Old 03-19-2019, 04:46 PM
SLC Tortfeasor
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey guys, I just received photos from the shop that did a PPI for me in Portland on a car I want to buy with a duck tail on a 991.1 C4S. I live in Salt Lake City so I can't really go check this out in person.

The duck tail is OEM parts, but was not added at the factory. It's got an alignment problem that looks like it might possibly be fixable using the method described in this thread. However, it's complicated by the fact that it's a fixed duck tail, so it would take some time to remove the duck tail and fiddle around to see if it can be fixed.

What do you guys think? Is this likely to be a quick and simple fix? Is it likely to be significantly more complicated than fixing the alignment problem on a movable spoiler? Should I just walk away from this car or should I ask the seller to reduce the price to compensate for this? If so, how much?

I could really use your advice on what to make of this PPI result!

Old 03-19-2019, 08:35 PM
BlackOptic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 222 Posts

In that case, the ducktail looks to be a little proud of the rest of the car. The fix is not the same as my suggestions above. I am not familiar with the duck tail adjustment, so can't help there.

In our cases, we didn't move the spoiler. We only adjusted the angle of the engine lid by using the twisting rubber feet. That might help a little in your situation, but not as much as I'd suspect.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:41 PM
VII7
Racer

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

It all depends on how it was installed, you'd be surprised at what passes for acceptable work at some shops.
There does seem to be adjustment with the oem mounting.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:37 PM
SLC Tortfeasor
Instructor

In that case, the ducktail looks to be a little proud of the rest of the car. The fix is not the same as my suggestions above. I am not familiar with the duck tail adjustment, so can't help there.

In our cases, we didn't move the spoiler. We only adjusted the angle of the engine lid by using the twisting rubber feet. That might help a little in your situation, but not as much as I'd suspect.
Yes, I agree it seems the spoiler sticks up a little bit. But a few minutes ago the seller twisted the rubber feet and he said the problem is fixed. I haven't yet seen photographic proof, but I'm cautiously optimistic!

Thanks so much for your response.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:01 PM
BlackOptic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 222 Posts

I can imagine twisting the feet on the engine lid, and raising it up to meet the duck tail. But, check the photos to make sure that both the engine lid and duck tail are now both too tall, and sit higher than the rest of the rear fender/bumpers.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:37 PM
SLC Tortfeasor
Instructor

I can imagine twisting the feet on the engine lid, and raising it up to meet the duck tail. But, check the photos to make sure that both the engine lid and duck tail are now both too tall, and sit higher than the rest of the rear fender/bumpers.
Yep, I was concerned about that too, but I've now seen nice, good quality video that shows everything is flush and at the same level. So I think the problem is truly fixed.
Old 10-19-2020, 12:08 AM
519Kris
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Hey all- closest thread I could find while trying to troubleshoot my T’s spoiler being out of alignment when closed. For me there was a long piece of trim going from driver to passenger side that someone failed to seat correctly after some maintenance. One tab was above another piece of trim when it should have been below. Hope this helps someone else in the future. Make sure all that plastic trim is how it should be!

Quick Reply: 991 Retractable Spoiler/Deck Lid Alignment fix???