Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Vehicle Service Protection Platinum Extended Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 02:46 PM
zareth
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Porsche Vehicle Service Protection Platinum Extended Warranty?

Hi All,

Is anyone familiar with the terms of a Porsche VSP Platinum program? How close is this extended warranty to the original factory warranty? A dealer offered me a 9year total (5 year extension from the date of original manufacturer's warranty expiration) for $6,600 on a 2015 991.1 S w/ SPASM. There is a $250.00 deductible for each repair.

I have another year left on the manufacturers warranty and I'm shopping around to see what extended warranty options are available. The brochure from Porsche is pretty slim on the actual terms of the warranty so I wanted to see if anyone out there knows how it works and how it compares to aftermarket "exclusionary" warranties such as Fidelity?

Also any opinions on whether extended warranty coverage on 991.1 cars is worth it or not would be great. In general though, if anything disastrous happens I can still pay for whatever repairs may come my way even without the warranty. But of course, I'd rather avoid that if possible. I'm not familiar with the reliability of the 991.1, and the expected cost of repairs over the next 5 years. I don't drive it a whole lot as it is my weekend car only (it currently has 11,500 miles) if that is a factor on whether it is worth it or not.

Thanks!
Old 03-19-2018, 02:55 PM
LandCruiser
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also interested in this warranty.
Old 03-19-2018, 03:37 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 220 Posts

Porsche is offering an extended factory warranty in the USA now?!?!?

Oh I think we all wanted this..
seriously

its not just dealership correct?
Old 03-19-2018, 03:41 PM
zareth
Track Day

Correct, as far as i understood it this is an extended warranty sold by and backed by Porsche, and not the dealer.

I think you can see some of the details on the Porsche website. Visit here:

https://www.porsche.com/usa/accessor...rotectionplan/

Then click the heading named "Vehicle Service Protection." Once again the details seem very slim, so I wish someone has the actual contract available to read.

Thanks!
James
Old 03-19-2018, 03:51 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 187 Posts

If you click on the PDF brochure link at the link in the post above, there is a little bit more info....and at the very end of the brochure, in the fine print, it appears the plan is administered by Safe-Guard Product International, LLC under license and agreement with Porsche Financial Services.
Old 03-19-2018, 03:53 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Interesting. Not cheap, but I’m intrigued if this is backed by Porsche.

Is this new?
Old 03-19-2018, 03:55 PM
Boulder Mike
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

subscribed. I just purchased a .1 CPO.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:03 PM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 116 Posts

While its offered by Porsche, the price is set by the dealer?
Old 03-19-2018, 04:05 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 220 Posts

NOTE: Available on new, pre-owned, and Certified Pre-Owned Porsche vehicles at the time of vehicle purchase or lease. Also available in the service lane for vehicles still covered under the manufacturer’s warranty.

so this means because my CPO wasn't purchase time this program was around I don't get it?1/1/1 ugh BS
Old 03-19-2018, 04:16 PM
zareth
Track Day

Originally Posted by snake eyes
NOTE: Available on new, pre-owned, and Certified Pre-Owned Porsche vehicles at the time of vehicle purchase or lease. Also available in the service lane for vehicles still covered under the manufacturer’s warranty.

so this means because my CPO wasn't purchase time this program was around I don't get it?1/1/1 ugh BS

I purchased my vehicle a year ago as well. The dealer still offered to sell me this warranty. They said the only stipulation was that it is that the plan must be purchased while the car is still under warranty. Of course I am on my original warranty and not the CPO warranty, but I don't know if that makes a difference. I would say you should call and check with a porsche finance manager and see if it they can offer you one.

In terms of pricing, the finance advisor punched in my VIN and Mileage, and the list of prices showed up on the screen. I *think* the prices are set by Porsche, but I bet the dealer might be able to discount those prices a little bit, or work some deals. I haven't tried yet though.

There are options for 10, 9, 8, 7, and 6 year coverage. There's a huge jump from 9->10. The difference between 6, 7, 8, and 9 year coverage are only a few hundred bucks a year. So the best value seems to be the 9 year one. That works out to be around $1,300 per year of coverage.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:20 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by snake eyes

And to further confuse things, this wording is used in the brochure....
Available on new, pre-owned, and Certified Pre-Owned Porsche vehicles at the time of purchase or lease. Also available after vehicle purchase or lease if the vehicle is still covered under the manufacturer's new-vehicle limited warranty.

That brochure wording is even slightly more restrictive in that it says still covered under new-vehicle warranty... not just manufacturers warranty (which could be CPO).
Old 03-19-2018, 07:22 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

For some reason I have never quite been able to comprehend, but which probably had at least something to do with way too much time spent ingesting way too much alcohol and way too much cannabis, I decided my minor should be in risk management and insurance. Utter and complete waste of tuition, except for the times like this when thanks to all those boring lectures I at least now understand how insurance and warranties, extended or otherwise, work. First a highly mathematically specialized team of accountants determines probablilities and costs. Then they go back and forth with marketing, figuring out how to maximize inflated customer expectations of an ingeniously deflated product. Once they settle on the cost of that then they double it, so they can make money, and then double it again, so whoever sells it can make money. I'm talking in general. Sometimes they triple or quadruple instead. Minor variations like that. All based on the assumption the customer is seriously mathlexic. It would seem this scam is so obviously cockeyed and crooked it wouldn't last 5 minutes. Yet not only have these schemes been around since like forever, they continue to proliferate. So maybe there is a lot more truth to that one assumption than we would ever care to admit.

On second thought, considering all the tens of thousands of dollars I've saved buying the least insurance possible when I wasn't avoiding it entirely (and usually only when required by law) maybe those classes weren't such a waste after all.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:23 PM
verstraete
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

If I decide to keep my 2017 post original warranty, I will definitely purchase the 9 year extended warranty. It is transferable and should bring some cost recovery if the car is resold before it expires.

My last post-warranty Porsche cost me over 5k (in 1994 dollars) in repairs just before I was about to traded it in after 7 years of ownership. At that point, I canceled the new order and did not begin driving Porsches again until 2013, and then with the full intention of no post-warranty ownership.

Statistically, extended warranties may not make sense, but emotionally they do, to me. I will not risk a repeat of my previous experience.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:32 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

This is a Porsche branded third party backed warranty. Think Fidelity.

Not Porsche backed like a CPO.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:35 PM
salayc
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I purchased the extended warranty on a non CPO car. The retail price is set by Porsche AFAIK, but the finance manager can negotiate. I refused the warranty until they discounted enough, that it seemed a good buy (not because I think it makes financial sense, but just buying piece of mind long term.)
The coverage is very limited. Basically the warranty covers drivetrain and most electrical, with just about everything else excluded - suspension, interior, consumables, etc.
The warranty is transferable and cancelable, so there's not too much to lose in buying it.

Quick Reply: Porsche Vehicle Service Protection Platinum Extended Warranty?