Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Vehicle Service Protection Platinum Extended Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 09:06 PM
zareth
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by salayc
I purchased the extended warranty on a non CPO car. The retail price is set by Porsche AFAIK, but the finance manager can negotiate. I refused the warranty until they discounted enough, that it seemed a good buy (not because I think it makes financial sense, but just buying piece of mind long term.)
The coverage is very limited. Basically the warranty covers drivetrain and most electrical, with just about everything else excluded - suspension, interior, consumables, etc.
The warranty is transferable and cancelable, so there's not too much to lose in buying it.
Note there are 2 tiers of warranty. The first tier covers power train mainly. The "Platinum" tier covers suspension, electronics, nav, climate control, audio, etc. As others have mentioned in this thread, it looks like the warranty is branded Porsche but supplied by a third party. The main question I have is if this platinum warranty is exclusionary or inclusionary. For example my engine mounts are dynamic, and they didn't specifically call out the engine mounts in the brochure (unless this qualifies as "suspension or powertrain"). Getting a fidelity policy that is exclusionary would likely include these parts (unless specifically excluded in the contract). So the question I'm trying to figure out is if there is any advantage to buying the "Porsche Branded", versus getting an exclusionary fidelity policy. I would suspect the porsche-branded product to be more expensive, so it had better have advantages over using a third party warranty company.

Perhaps it would be easier to get claims processed at a Porsche dealer, if you have a Porsche branded warranty?
Old 03-19-2018, 10:47 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts

For my high-end cars, I've always just set aside $10K in an investment account for M&S at purchase...haven't lost money yet v. extended warranty...

Let's look at the real-world risks...and make a list...

Things that commonly go wrong on Porsches out of warranty (In my experience - which is mainly air-cooled + water-cooled friends):
+ Shocks wear out (~$4-8K)
+ Belts wear out (~$1-2K)
+ Turbos bearings wear out (~$???)
+ A-Arm & sway bar bushings wear out (~$2K)
+ Water pumps fail (~$1.5K)
+ Spark plug wires wear out (~$1K)
+ Vacuum lines wear out (~$2K)
+ Clutches wear out ($3K)
+ Brakes wear out ($3K)

Things that occasionally go wrong:
+ Hydraulic lines fail (~$2-$5K)
+ High-pressure fuel injector rails fail ($3K)
+ Various plastic parts crack ($ various)
+ Various interior parts crack or deform ($ various)

Things that very rarely go wrong (but are very $$$)
+ Internal engine component fails (IMS, rod bearing, lifter) ($20K and up)
+ Internal transmission component fails (sheared gear, syncro) ($10K and up)
+ Electrical / Main wiring harness components fails (5K and up)

What else?
Old 03-19-2018, 10:49 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

^^ smart man. self insure pays off 99.9% of time.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:11 AM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I think a CPO warranty is a pretty good cost benefit bet, and it's backed by Porsche. For the rest, I think the self-insurance approach makes a ton of sense. And if you set aside a particular mount in your mind up front, it takes a lot of the emotion of a needed repair out of the equation. Seems like a very sensible approach.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:46 AM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 220 Posts

One PDK replacement you self insured people will be lol taking it in the shorts...
just saying

oh and they do fail... look at those out of luck in the 997.2 forum
Old 03-20-2018, 12:59 AM
Nm2far
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Porsche branded, underwritten as described. Was offered 10yr, 75K, $250 ded. for $4900. GTS MT, glass SR, Bose, lift, RWS, SPASM, Center-lock, pwr folding mirrors, etc.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:59 PM
salayc
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by zareth
Note there are 2 tiers of warranty. The first tier covers power train mainly. The "Platinum" tier covers suspension, electronics, nav, climate control, audio, etc. As others have mentioned in this thread, it looks like the warranty is branded Porsche but supplied by a third party. The main question I have is if this platinum warranty is exclusionary or inclusionary. For example my engine mounts are dynamic, and they didn't specifically call out the engine mounts in the brochure (unless this qualifies as "suspension or powertrain"). Getting a fidelity policy that is exclusionary would likely include these parts (unless specifically excluded in the contract). So the question I'm trying to figure out is if there is any advantage to buying the "Porsche Branded", versus getting an exclusionary fidelity policy. I would suspect the porsche-branded product to be more expensive, so it had better have advantages over using a third party warranty company.

Perhaps it would be easier to get claims processed at a Porsche dealer, if you have a Porsche branded warranty?
I was offered only one tier, it is branded Porsche, and we contacted the Porsche rep to confirm that that was the only coverage available. It's underwritten by Safe Guard Products Intl.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:30 PM
zareth
Track Day

Originally Posted by Nm2far
Porsche branded, underwritten as described. Was offered 10yr, 75K, $250 ded. for $4900. GTS MT, glass SR, Bose, lift, RWS, SPASM, Center-lock, pwr folding mirrors, etc.
Wow that's a lot lower than the offer I got, and you have a GTS while I have an "S". Sounds like there is definitely some play here in the prices! I would probably go for it if i can get a 10 year for $4,900.

911-Tour, I think most of the "wear out" items on your list we would have to pay for anyway regardless of having an extended warranty available or not. I don't consider paying for any of those out of pocket a problem. I guess the only major concerns I have are the PDK or any potential engine issues, as those would be the >$10,000 expenses. I suppose if I add up all the times I didn't pay for an extended warranty on my other cars over the years probably would end up enough to cover a PDK replacement . This is really the first car I considered getting a warranty for due to the high cost of repair on some of the components / unfamiliarity with owning the brand and its reliability.

It seems like the 991.1 Engine has been pretty reliable, so the only iffy part is the PDK? Perhaps the dynamic engine mounts are prone to failure as well and i heard they are pretty pricey?

I guess no one here knows so far whether this is an exclusionary or inclusive policy? From the brochure it might be more like an inclusive policy and could technically be "worse" coverage than a fidelity policy.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:38 PM
seffeed
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone know if there is a powertrain coverage only option available? I figure it may be most cost effective to have a warranty on the expensive stuff and pay for the rest if something comes up. Thoughts?
Old 03-20-2018, 06:41 PM
zareth
Track Day

Originally Posted by seffeed
Does anyone know if there is a powertrain coverage only option available? I figure it may be most cost effective to have a warranty on the expensive stuff and pay for the rest if something comes up. Thoughts?
According to the Brochure, there is a powertrain coverage only, though I don't know how much that costs.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:56 PM
verstraete
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

Download the pdf brochure from the Porsche site given by the URL. It clearly says that there are two levels of protection available.
https://www.porsche.com/usa/accessor...rotectionplan/
Old 03-20-2018, 08:10 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 187 Posts

Perhaps a stupid question, but a question nonetheless. Is the policy term from in service date, your vehicle ownership date, or from the date you purchase the policy... and then forward? Seems like many of these extended warranties dealers try to sell you at vehicle purchase (say a 10 year policy) are from that point forward, thus is really only a 6 year policy if the manufacturers warranty is already 4 years. Just curious when the start date on this type of policy would be.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:23 PM
zareth
Track Day

Originally Posted by Al.Fresco
Perhaps a stupid question, but a question nonetheless. Is the policy term from in service date, your vehicle ownership date, or from the date you purchase the policy... and then forward? Seems like many of these extended warranties dealers try to sell you at vehicle purchase (say a 10 year policy) are from that point forward, thus is really only a 6 year policy if the manufacturers warranty is already 4 years. Just curious when the start date on this type of policy would be.

In this case, it runs simultaneously (on top of) your new car warranty, starting at the new car warranty start date of your car. So the "10 year policy" runs for the 10 years from the warranty start date of your car. The first 4 years is covered under the Porsche New Car warranty, and the next 6 years is covered under the Platinum extended warranty for a total 10 years of warranty coverage.

As I understand it, if you buy it late, say during the last year of "New car warranty" coverage in your car, the end date of the extended warranty will be the same as if you had bought it right from the start.

Note that during the first 4 years, you get some additional "Bonus coverage" / Perks (Rental car expense, towing expense, etc) by having the "10 year" extended warranty kind of doubling-up on top of the manufacturers warranty.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:29 AM
Rezus
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

The platinum plan is an exclusionary coverage. Friend of mine just got this coverage for his 14 C2S, 100K miles and 10 years for $5500. His car had 12 K miles at the time of purchase
Old 03-21-2018, 06:10 AM
Rebel yel
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Wait.. It sounds like I shouldn't get it. Or I should.. haha..

Originally Posted by chuck911
For some reason I have never quite been able to comprehend, but which probably had at least something to do with way too much time spent ingesting way too much alcohol and way too much cannabis, I decided my minor should be in risk management and insurance. Utter and complete waste of tuition, except for the times like this when thanks to all those boring lectures I at least now understand how insurance and warranties, extended or otherwise, work. First a highly mathematically specialized team of accountants determines probablilities and costs. Then they go back and forth with marketing, figuring out how to maximize inflated customer expectations of an ingeniously deflated product. Once they settle on the cost of that then they double it, so they can make money, and then double it again, so whoever sells it can make money. I'm talking in general. Sometimes they triple or quadruple instead. Minor variations like that. All based on the assumption the customer is seriously mathlexic. It would seem this scam is so obviously cockeyed and crooked it wouldn't last 5 minutes. Yet not only have these schemes been around since like forever, they continue to proliferate. So maybe there is a lot more truth to that one assumption than we would ever care to admit.

On second thought, considering all the tens of thousands of dollars I've saved buying the least insurance possible when I wasn't avoiding it entirely (and usually only when required by law) maybe those classes weren't such a waste after all.
Very Articulate. I for one was the guy who went to all my classes through out my semester. I used all my own notes. Always the last one to complete a midterm and final. Would always find funny that 50 students out of 100 would only attend class 3 times in a semester. First day to gather the syllabus, the midterm and the final. I suspect that I should get the insurance before my Cayman GTS warranty ends, and maybe try to haggle the price. I will do more research, but good you gave me the synopsis of 4 month long college course. haha...

Quick Reply: Porsche Vehicle Service Protection Platinum Extended Warranty?