Sponsored by:

Porsche Connect Plus and Porsche Car Connect Overview for Used 991.2 Buyers

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 08:12 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 708 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway
Stop hitting those road cones, and it will stop.
I didn't hit any cones - it worked, the parking sensors warned me in time!

(Actually it kept going off in the start box - kind of annoying!)
Old 09-07-2018, 09:44 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Excellent post, thanks
Old 09-08-2018, 10:04 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 314 Posts

Here's my dumb question: With the new Carplay, can i run an App on my phone, like Waze, and have it display on my Porsche's PCM screen and talking thru my car speakers, with my phone screen turned off and no subscription for my Porsche unit??
This is what i would be looking for...
Old 09-09-2018, 09:58 AM
Monetthecat
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Not dumb... Its an obvious question. Short answer is "no". However, Apple announced that CarPlay will soon support Third Party Apps like Waze in the near future. Below is a link with more info. I don't know the release date for this, but I'm assuming it will coincide with the Fall iOS 12 release

https://techcrunch.com/2018/06/04/ap...-mapping-apps/
Old 09-09-2018, 02:05 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 272 Posts

Yes to Waze thru CarPlay. September 18th availability. See related thread on this forum.

DaveGee
Old 09-11-2018, 05:46 PM
dribar
Racer

Received 202 Likes on 81 Posts

The phrase "technology for technology sake" comes to mind. I love tech but only when it adds value [for me] regardless of if it's in the house, office or car. In my 911, Carplay + Waze will be a game changer.

ps -- great post too. Lot's of info.
Old 09-15-2018, 11:55 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,535 Posts

Originally Posted by 09RedGTS
Here's my dumb question: With the new Carplay, can i run an App on my phone, like Waze, and have it display on my Porsche's PCM screen and talking thru my car speakers, with my phone screen turned off and no subscription for my Porsche unit??
This is what i would be looking for...
Originally Posted by Monetthecat
Not dumb... Its an obvious question. Short answer is "no". However, Apple announced that CarPlay will soon support Third Party Apps like Waze in the near future.
Actually, I'd think it's more accurate to say Short answer is YES, but only for apps that Apple has approved. And Waze (and every other navigation app other than Apple's own Maps) have previously not been approved..... Most of the "approved" apps up to now are either Apple apps or music/podcast types of apps.

But for an 'approved' app, your in-dash head unit will be the display, your car audio system the speakers, your phone screen can be off (or on), and no additional subscriptions are required other than any required for the app itself.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:49 AM
dribar
Racer

...and tomorrow is the day we get the iOS update that enables it all. Very exciting.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:52 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Whats recommended both Car coonect and porsche connect plus or just one?

are the features/functions available redundant in each or totally separate?
Old 10-09-2018, 03:25 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 556 Likes on 336 Posts

I've read this thread and other source materials several times as I'm waiting on delivery for my 911 (first of the year) and wanted a head start on familiarization.

I'm not the sharpest tool in the box but I've done w/o service tech help for my techno gadgets for many years. However, the pattern I'm discerning here w/ Porsche connectivity is that there are too many layers involved, not much integration or regard for ease of use in registration, updates or fees. I'll have to wait till I have the car in hand to sort this out.

My 2013 Merc didn't require anything other than signing up to Mercedes Me, no visits to dealers, no external SIM cards, just pay the yearly fee and that's it. It has had some hiccups, but works for me.

The other thing that bothers me are the awful reviews of the apps at the app store, which are the majority that post.

It remains to be seen if the connect services are any different for my car as a 2019 model. To be continued...
Old 10-09-2018, 08:02 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyberbug
Whats recommended both Car coonect and porsche connect plus or just one?

are the features/functions available redundant in each or totally separate?

They are totally separate systems. The Porsche Car Connect system sort of mimics the GM OnStar system, but far more expensive at every level of service. It is provided through Vodaphone. Connect plus services are bought through Porsche for one annual price, and deal with navigation & infotainment, and all the myriad stuff designed to get you killed while you spend time pounding the touchscreen when you should be watching the road.

I'm in a trial period with all this stuff, and quite frankly I haven't used the Car Connect service for anything I can remember, although I might have used the remote services to check to see if the car was still in my garage a time or two. The only thing I've used from the Connect plus side are the google maps for navigation, which I think are pretty cool. YMMV.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:26 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 114 Posts

If Nav and switching audio channels drew much attention from the road they would be locked out while moving. Best is using Voice commands when available anyway.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:15 PM
DriveInHouston
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

New owner of a 2018 Cayman S CPO here. I am still going through the morass of connectivity, while still having a month and a half remainder in the PCM Internet services.

My main requirements are Voice Controlled Navigation, real time traffic routing and emergency calling (airbag deployed).

The situation can be charitably described as a disgrace!

To wit:

Porsche Navigation.

I have no idea if they ever update the maps. 4 years ago, the street right outside my house (one way) was terminated at the boundary of the Houston Community College and became a pedestrian street for 2 blocks. Porsche Navigation insists that I plough through it! Do I want to trust this system to guide me through unfamiliar one way streets in an unfamiliar city? On top of that, it provides real time traffic information, but insists that you go into a freeway turned into a parking lot by construction detours. The only plus I found, is that it is current on speed limits on Texas highways.

No voice control! If I use my Android connected through the Bluetooth, I can use Porsche Car Connect and the phone's voice recognition to get an address, which I have to manually (by touch) save to the app's Favourites, so that it can pass it on to the PCM's App POI's, so I can select it (by touch) and select the POI (by touch). You don't need a co-pilot, you need a bloody Navigator.

Voice Control

PCM does not accept Voice Control. With Android, I can ask the Google assistant to read SMSs and it will go through Bluetooth audio.

SMS, e-mail etc.

PCM... Never mind.

For the following (in red) I have a story, I want to know if anyone can confirm it.

Navigation Updates

The salesperson maintained that as long as I have some way to connect to the internet (external SIMM card, external hotspot), the Navigation maps will be updated without needing the Porsche Connect/internal SIMM card. Can anyone confirm this?

Emergency call (airbag deployed)

Said salesperson maintained that if an airbag is deployed, the internal SIMM card will call 911 regardless whether you have any form of connectivity. Can anyone confirm this?

External SIMM card

I used a T-Mobile data card. It works and is a lot faster than the Porsche internal SIMM card. Cost is $120/yr vs $189/yr for the Porsche connectivity via internal SIMM card. I will probably loose Googlearth and Gas station information once the initial Porsche Connectivity expires (Dec 2018).

This is the only way to have an in-car hotspot to connect your phone to the Porsche WLAN. The internal SIMM does not offer hotspot services.

External Hotspot function

It worked with my Android.

However, if you don't have your phone with you, you have nothing...

Google Maps

Only through Apple Carplay

Android Auto

By now, you may have figured out that I am an Android user. There is an app similar to Carplay called Android Auto. Its implementation may even be better, as it kicks up automatically the moment it connects to the car Bluetooth. The car brand compatibility list includes most major brands and the list is identical to Carplay's compatibility list...

...with the notable exception of Porsche! The said salesperson said that he'd heard that an Android Auto implementation is coming in the next update (of the PCM?). Can anyone confirm this?

Apple Carplay

I believe that Voice Control is an important safety feature in today's vehicles, so it's time to start dating Sirri (it could be worse, as a dedicated Linux user, I could be forced to date Cortana...)

So off I went to T-Mobile and got myself an iPhone 8 (apparently I missed the much cheaper iPhone 7 by one day, they sold the last one the day before (or so I was told). Updated it immediately to iOS 12. It took some power up/down of the iPhone and the car, but eventually they found each other. Now Carplay comes on sometime after I start the engine. Most of the time.

Initially I was planning to use the iPhone as a dedicated car phone, leaving it permanently plugged in. After it spent the first night in the car, it was practically discharged (from 100% charged) and frighteningly hot.
Does anyone have any advice?

Although GoogleMaps runs through Carplay, Sirri doesn't accept the bastard child in the family. You can touch the mike symbol on the screen to dictate an address, but the choice has to be selected and confirmed by touch. Still beats typing on the screen for Porsche Navigation.

As expected, AppleMaps work smoothly. However, I think that GoogleMaps will reroute faster and take the traffic the up to the minute traffic information.

Anyway, this has been my experience so far, I hope I may have helped future system users to understand the system faster, and I would appreciate if anyone has answers to my questions
Old 10-17-2018, 11:12 AM
dribar
Racer

I'm sure you're going to get a lot of responses to this. I went thru a lot of this 2 months ago when I got my 2017 Carrera. Here's where I ended up:

- start the car
- plug in my phone (don't need to unlock)
- car play starts up automatically
- I push the WAZE button

That's it.
All my music is there (I switch between XM and Google Music).
Maps are always up to date.
Siri works perfectly by pushing the button on the left stalk (not sure if this is the same on the Cayman). "Tell my wife I'm on the way home" every single day

It's been really perfect. Best part is no jumping thru all the hoops at PCNA to try and get their stuff working, and no fees or monthly charges. I mean it really has been perfect for my environment.

Good luck.

ps - love the Cayman. Had two of them. Congrats!
Old 10-17-2018, 11:53 AM
Gonzalo38
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

DriveInHouston:

In you iPhone, make sure you have activated USB Accessories option under in Touch ID in Settings. In the latest IOS version, Apple changed the way they handle USB accessories and now you have to make sure this option is selected if you don't want to unlock the phone in order to make it connect to Carplay. I was having similar issues and this fixed the problem for me. Now it connects all the time.

I'm not from the US so I don't have access to Porsche Connect Plus.... but if I would, I don't know if I would be willing to pay for it either.

Waze is my Maps/Traffic option and works great in my country. Maps are always updated, traffic reports are great and it even tells me were are the cops and traffic cameras. In terms of voice command, it takes a while to get use to the one included in the car, but once you start using it, it feels more natural. No need to pay for anything else.....

Quick Reply: Porsche Connect Plus and Porsche Car Connect Overview for Used 991.2 Buyers