Sponsored by:

Porsche Connect Plus and Porsche Car Connect Overview for Used 991.2 Buyers

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 12:34 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary JR
That sounds like a pretty heavy insurance premium for not having access to your smartphone for an airbag opening in a remote location.
I guess we are all shaped by our life experiences and value we place on things.

In my case, I try to get out for my fun drives extremely early in the morning and head out deep in the back roads of the Texas Hill Country, If something happens, it is unlikely there will be anyone else along for a while. My wife or son often join me... I'd want to get them help as soon as possible too.

Having been knocked unconscious in a crash before, then fighting just to breathe for a while after coming to; trying to find where my smartphone ended up and making a call on it after a crash isn't something I'd want to have to try to do. There's the time my wife and I were the only ones that saw another car ahead lose control on a corner and roll several times down an embankment where no one else would have found the woman for a long time, and she wasn't going to be calling anyone for a while. There are even worse stories but I don't want to go there. But I think you get the idea that my personal experiences seem to give my extra measure of precaution here reasonably well founded.

The bottom line is that for me it's not a heavy premium and I'm generally pretty cheap. Paying 0.1% of my car's price a year when I can easily afford it to enable a potentially lifesaving technology is worth it to me. It could also benefit others involved if it wasn't a solo crash and we all needed help.

But yeah, hopefully it will be money completely wasted. Maybe I could have splurged and bought a few more of my favorite deluxe hamburgers instead. It sounds like your life experiences have been much better than mine and I truly hope that continues!
Old 03-16-2018, 01:46 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune

In my case, I try to get out for my fun drives extremely early in the morning and head out deep in the back roads of the Texas Hill Country, If something happens, it is unlikely there will be anyone else along for a while. My wife or son often join me... I'd want to get them help as soon as possible too.

Having been knocked unconscious in a crash before, then fighting just to breathe for a while after coming to; trying to find where my smartphone ended up and making a call on it after a crash isn't something I'd want to have to try to do. There's the time my wife and I were the only ones that saw another car ahead lose control on a corner and roll several times down an embankment where no one else would have found the woman for a long time, and she wasn't going to be calling anyone for a while. There are even worse stories but I don't want to go there. But I think you get the idea that my personal experiences seem to give my extra measure of precaution here reasonably well founded.

The bottom line is that for me it's not a heavy premium and I'm generally pretty cheap. Paying 0.1% of my car's price a year when I can easily afford it to enable a potentially lifesaving technology is worth it to me. It could also benefit others involved if it wasn't a solo crash and we all needed help.

But yeah, hopefully it will be money completely wasted. Maybe I could have splurged and bought a few more of my favorite deluxe hamburgers instead. It sounds like your life experiences have been much better than mine and I truly hope that continues!
Your words not mine but yeah I bank on having access to my smartphone over anything Porsche is going to do for me.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:19 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune

I agree. I have one of these in the door pocket beside me. It’ll cut you (or someone else) out of a seatbelt. It’ll also break out a windshield. Probably never need it - but it’s one of those things that you’re really going to wish you had, if you do.

Old 05-17-2018, 01:59 PM
TimboCarrera
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by 4pipes
Just tried it....still works. My hotspot on my iPhone (via Verizon) is used as data connection for google earth and traffic.
I just tried what you are doing. My free year is up and prior to trying your method the online traffic and google earth had been terminated. I can indeed connect to my phone however pressing the layers button and attempting to start either of these services results in the following message. “Your Porsche Connect plan for Google Earth or Real time traffic has expired.”.

You must still have some time remaining on your Porsche connect plan. Any Thoughts?
Old 05-17-2018, 05:34 PM
4pipes
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

You’re correct, I was wrong. Now, no service. Screw it, I just use Apple play and the Apple maps.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:25 PM
TimboCarrera
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Thank you 4pipes for this clarification.
This is what I just learned however my car was purchased new. The car came with one year of Porsche connect, renewal is 155. This allows you to receive Google earth, online search, traffic and other stuff. Car connect allows to see the cars gas level flash your lights, mileage and so on. This is a separate 119 charge, and you need the at&t sim card. Total for all three is 514 a year. My car is a 2017.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:51 PM
Dark2638
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New 2017 911 S owner here.

This thread has really been helpful for me to set up my PCM and avoiding wasting money on something that is free.

If you have a 2017 you can use your phone's hotspot and get the google earth, search, traffic etc. stuff without paying Porsche. That is the way I have it set up on my 2017. I did have to call the Porsche Connect support for them to turn something on but once they did it worked great.

Originally Posted by TimboCarrera
Thank you 4pipes for this clarification.
This is what I just learned however my car was purchased new. The car came with one year of Porsche connect, renewal is 155. This allows you to receive Google earth, online search, traffic and other stuff. Car connect allows to see the cars gas level flash your lights, mileage and so on. This is a separate 119 charge, and you need the at&t sim card. Total for all three is 514 a year. My car is a 2017.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:17 PM
4pipes
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

You have one year free to connect your phone to all those goodies. Then you need to pay the $115 to continue access even with using your own hotspot!
Old 07-09-2018, 07:35 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,460 Likes on 801 Posts

The most egregious part of this is the "remote services" subscription that you need to renew in order to keep using the "car connect" app. It's $299 to renew that bit of functionality for another year.

My US$80k BMWs do this ('17 5er and X5) and most other manufs that have remote app control do this for free for as long as you own the car.

My ~150K porsche needs $299/yr for a pathetically outdated app in order to keep Remote Services. Very disappointed in Porsche for this.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:30 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by dhirm5
The most egregious part of this is the "remote services" subscription that you need to renew in order to keep using the "car connect" app. It's $299 to renew that bit of functionality for another year.

My US$80k BMWs do this ('17 5er and X5) and most other manufs that have remote app control do this for free for as long as you own the car.

My ~150K porsche needs $299/yr for a pathetically outdated app in order to keep Remote Services. Very disappointed in Porsche for this.
The technology is ridiculously bad. I can’t imagine anyone actually pays to continue using this crap?

I really hope Porsche reads these comments. If it’s one thing I’m more passionate about than Porsche’s, it’s technology and holy smokes does Porsche do it wrong.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:28 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,460 Likes on 801 Posts

Originally Posted by k997
The technology is ridiculously bad. I can’t imagine anyone actually pays to continue using this crap?

I really hope Porsche reads these comments. If it’s one thing I’m more passionate about than Porsche’s, it’s technology and holy smokes does Porsche do it wrong.
Pretty sure they don't GIAF. Too busy dealing w the fallout from dieselgate, etc.

One doesn't buy a Porsche for the telematics. But pretty pathetic that they can't get that right .. just outsource it. I think we're getting closer to that, with Apple Carplay (and Android Carspy or whatever they call it).
Old 07-10-2018, 08:54 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 698 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by dhirm5
Pretty sure they don't GIAF. Too busy dealing w the fallout from dieselgate, etc.

One doesn't buy a Porsche for the telematics. But pretty pathetic that they can't get that right .. just outsource it. I think we're getting closer to that, with Apple Carplay (and Android Carspy or whatever they call it).
Having decent telematics doesn't hurt, though. I love the driving feel, acceleration, handling, etc., just as much as the next person (and it's a blast to drive at autocross!) but at the same time, having the Burmester, heated/ventilated seats, nice telematics, etc., makes for a great overall experience.

People complained about rubbermaid Corvette interiors for years - now they actually make a decent interior. No excuse for a major manufacturer to not get telematics right.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:18 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane
Having decent telematics doesn't hurt, though. I love the driving feel, acceleration, handling, etc., just as much as the next person (and it's a blast to drive at autocross!) but at the same time, having the Burmester, heated/ventilated seats, nice telematics, etc., makes for a great overall experience.

People complained about rubbermaid Corvette interiors for years - now they actually make a decent interior. No excuse for a major manufacturer to not get telematics right.
It's not just the interior cabin tech ... it's things like the parking sensors. Mine go off when the wind blows too hard on my T! My BMW - super accurate! What gives??
Old 07-10-2018, 06:25 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 698 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by k997
It's not just the interior cabin tech ... it's things like the parking sensors. Mine go off when the wind blows too hard on my T! My BMW - super accurate! What gives??
I have had mine go off during autocross....
Old 07-10-2018, 07:32 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane

I have had mine go off during autocross....

Stop hitting those road cones, and it will stop.

Quick Reply: Porsche Connect Plus and Porsche Car Connect Overview for Used 991.2 Buyers