Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why does the window go down/up slightly when opening the door?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018 | 03:11 AM
threeputtbogey
6th Gear

+1 to this.
It's for the seals.
Old 03-16-2018 | 04:36 AM
ChicagoWhale
Racer

Tougher question: if the window is all the way down -- completely hidden from view -- why does the window jump up an inch when you open the door? When you close the door, it slides back down, totally hidden from view.

Why?

The question posed earlier has to do with a window that is all the way up.

My question has to do with the window all the way down.

Anyone want to venture a guess?
Old 03-16-2018 | 04:48 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ChicagoWhale
Tougher question: if the window is all the way down -- completely hidden from view -- why does the window jump up an inch when you open the door? When you close the door, it slides back down, totally hidden from view.

Why?

The question posed earlier has to do with a window that is all the way up.

My question has to do with the window all the way down.

Anyone want to venture a guess?
I am assuming the mechanism is the mechanism, it automatically moves the window up and down as soon as the door is opened or closed. It doesn't know whether the window is in the up position or down position.
Old 03-16-2018 | 05:26 AM
ChicagoWhale
Racer

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
I am assuming the mechanism is the mechanism, it automatically moves the window up and down as soon as the door is opened or closed. It doesn't know whether the window is in the up position or down position.
That's a good guess, but incorrect.

In the scenario described originally (A), the window goes UP when the door is shut.

In the scenario I described (B), the window falls back down into the door when the door is shut.

The window is moving in opposite directions in scenarios A versus B.
Old 03-16-2018 | 09:25 AM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by 911-TOUR
Side note: I did not appreciate before buying this car that the window is frameless. I didn't realize until now that in my 993 I always closed the door using the window frame. I now have to break the habit and not close the door by the window.

cheers!
I can tell a LOT about a person depending on how they open and close a car door. Especially car mechanics and service advisors.

Originally Posted by Pep!RRRR
The door handles are designed to be used to close the doors properly and effectively. Thank you for Your attention to this matter.
Yup!

Originally Posted by dsh
I had to break my kids in on not using the window to close the door when they exit. They complied, but gave my the rolling eyes look. LOL.
I can tell a LOT about a person's parenting skills when you observe the children. Your kids are always welcomed at my home and around my car.
Old 03-16-2018 | 08:14 PM
stick6
7th Gear

Just a note related to the window indexing. When unlocking the car, 2014 c4, both driver and passenger windows go down, "index." When opening and entering on the driver's side, the driver's window indexes back up into the sealed position. If no one gets in the passenger door, the passenger window indexes back up once the engine is started.

But sometimes my passenger window would not go back up. And in the lower index position, as the car moved onto the road, the air pressure build up in the cabin forced air through the window at the top and squealed. yes, not a burping sound but a terrible squeal. So loud at highway speeds you could not hear the radio. The solution was simple, however, just use the window switch to raise the passenger window back up the very small distance into the seals. Not more noise.

Despite having a convenient solution when the problem occurred, I took the problem to the dealer for correction. Although the technician thought at first the passenger side window motor might need to be replaced, they could find nothing wrong with it. Further examination and some discussion with Porsche convinced them that the real cause was insufficient battery voltage after starting the engine due to a weak battery. They replaced the battery, under warranty. It's been about a week and a half and that has stopped the problem so far.

The window problem only ever occurred when the temperature was below about 40 degrees, which is consistent with weaker battery output in cold weather.
Old 03-17-2018 | 02:53 PM
ChicagoWhale
Racer

I'm probably just talking to myself here, but for those still interested...

When the window is fully down -- totally hidden from view -- and you begin to open the door, the window will jump up an inch. After you've closed the door, the window will return to where it was before... totally hidden from view.

The reason is: when the window jumps up, it enables the rubber seals to "grab" it. By grabbing it, those rubber seals prevent the glass from rattling, shaking or vibrating when you close the door, particularly if you close the door harder than necessary. Most people never notice it, and that's the point. It helps create a solid, no rattle, no clunking, no glass shaking sound when the door is closed.

As Paul Harvey would say, now you know the rest of the story.
The following users liked this post:
minh (03-29-2020)
Old 03-17-2018 | 04:21 PM
RYE
Racer

Originally Posted by ChicagoWhale
I'm probably just talking to myself here, but for those still interested...

When the window is fully down -- totally hidden from view -- and you begin to open the door, the window will jump up an inch. After you've closed the door, the window will return to where it was before... totally hidden from view.

The reason is: when the window jumps up, it enables the rubber seals to "grab" it. By grabbing it, those rubber seals prevent the glass from rattling, shaking or vibrating when you close the door, particularly if you close the door harder than necessary. Most people never notice it, and that's the point. It helps create a solid, no rattle, no clunking, no glass shaking sound when the door is closed.

As Paul Harvey would say, now you know the rest of the story.
Thank you!
Old 03-17-2018 | 04:42 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

A big thanks to both stick6 and ChicagoWhale for some more good information! Love it.
Old 03-17-2018 | 04:52 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

to remind you that you paid 100k for the car
Old 03-17-2018 | 05:24 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
to remind you that you paid 100k for the car
wurd!!
Old 03-17-2018 | 09:57 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Thank you, everyone, for the observations/comments. I really appreciate it.

cheers!

Quick Reply: Why does the window go down/up slightly when opening the door?