Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Automobile All-Stars: The Winners (Porsche 911 GTS)

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2018 | 03:51 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Default 2018 Automobile All-Stars: The Winners (Porsche 911 GTS)

The Porsche 911 GTS was selected as one of this years winners. Video at link!

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/20...stars-winners/

“This car cannot be faulted and may in fact be the best-value, all-around street-oriented 911 sports car option,” Pilgrim declared. “Sick brakes, too.” OK, no one ever rolls up to another car at a stoplight, looks over, and challenges, “I bet I can outbrake you,” but his point was well taken: The GTS does everything well. Some felt the active anti-roll bars were overkill, perhaps diluting some of the chassis feel, but more members of our team could not have cared less. “This is some of the best steering on the planet, a chassis that’s hardwired to your backside, brakes that never say ‘uncle,’ and speed you literally have to see on the speedo to believe,” editor-at-large Arthur St. Antoine said. “And the thing just reeks of quality. Probably the best all-around 911 ever.”

Amazingly for our group of wags, those sentiments were almost unanimous, making the GTS a clear All-Star. Everything about this Carrera whispers balance, the kind that makes it a joy to drive even moderately fast. “Porsche’s decades of refinements come through perhaps most clearly in this model, which provides just enough edge without abusing or overstaying its welcome,” contributor Basem Wasef concluded. “Short jaunt or long road trip, the GTS is equally adept at either.” No one was compelled to argue with him.
Porsche 911 GTS page here, including a longer, 911 GTS-specific video:
http://www.automobilemag.com/news/20...ars-contender/
Old 03-15-2018 | 12:26 AM
bwiele
Pro

I couldn't agree more fully with the reviewers! I love mine. And I just love the Targa format. I know, I know, the weight of the glass, blah blah blah, but who cares. I'm not using it to set any records on the 'Ring. I just love the way it looks and drives and provides that open air feeling. It's truly one of the joys of life.

[End of gushing]
Old 03-15-2018 | 09:08 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by bwiele
I couldn't agree more fully with the reviewers! I love mine. And I just love the Targa format. I know, I know, the weight of the glass, blah blah blah, but who cares. I'm not using it to set any records on the 'Ring. I just love the way it looks and drives and provides that open air feeling. It's truly one of the joys of life.

[End of gushing]
I thought it was a nice write-up on the GTS - places it among some really nice cars, too.

The Targa is gorgeous!
Old 03-15-2018 | 09:50 AM
hsmith
Rennlist Member

While I don't have a 991.2 GTS i couldn't agree more with their take on the GTS. Its so versatile as a street and track car. IMO its the best 911 as it does so many things so well.
Old 03-15-2018 | 01:05 PM
crbiker
Advanced

I sold my 2011 997.2 GT3 RS after owning from new for 4 years and driving it over 6,000 miles. It was an awesome car and I will never regret my time with it, but I was ready to let it go when I did. I was kinda tired of the big cf wing and all of the attention it drew.

I purchased a 2018 991.2 GTS three months ago and love it. I am a big NA guy and I cannot believe the responsiveness of the 3.0 liter turbo motor. It is mated perfectly with the pdk. I can literally drive my 2013 LRP M3 with the NA V8 and 6 speed trans and then hop in the GTS and not miss the responsiveness of the na motor at all. It's that close. Almost imperceptible. To me it is that good.
Old 03-15-2018 | 02:56 PM
Ira Blumberg
Instructor

I also agree with the review except for one point. If they really wanted the best jack of all trades GTS, it should have been the C4. Now guess what I own ;-).

Quick Reply: 2018 Automobile All-Stars: The Winners (Porsche 911 GTS)