Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CTEK Porsche Battery Charger ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2019, 07:59 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 450 Likes on 237 Posts

I use this in my 991.1. I also bought the cigarette lighter adapter. Works great. Had the Porsche one for several years until I lowered my lift on it accidentally and broke it a little.

Plug it in and then lock the car. I have the smoker's package so that's where it gets plugged in.

Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon
Old 11-23-2019, 12:54 PM
AbrahamF
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought the Genius 1100 with the cigarette lighter adapter that they sell. I put the settings to cold and AGM. The red flashing for the 25% flashed and immediately became sold red while the 50% red was flashing still after 15 minutes or so. I am hoping that this time it works. The cigarette lighter adapter I bought on Amazon for the Battery Tender Junior did not completely fit the connection and there was a slight bit of space and the rubber cover did not fit it completely so I was not comfortable using it.
Old 11-23-2019, 02:44 PM
AbrahamF
Track Day

Update. Now the green light is flashing and the red and the orange lights are solid. When it is maintaining the green light is supposed to be solid and all other lights to be off. I will keep it in the garage and see how it goes.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:51 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 715 Likes on 479 Posts

I have a CTEK Multi US 3300 that up till now I have not used a whole lot. I am not driving my 991.2 much, at all, these days due to the situation ref COVID-19.

I would like to ask a few questions?

What's the longest (days) I should go before putting the car on the charger?

I placed it on charge today. I've only been up to get fuel once in the past 10 days. A picture of the charger is below. I assume after reading the manual this is more or less normal? I have it plugged into the center stack DC 12V smokers package via the 12V outlet adapter.

TIA.

Rich

Old 03-24-2020, 05:58 PM
AbrahamF
Track Day

I have connected it and keep it for a long time. I think the longest I have kept it and not driven it was for 3 weeks in January this month. Please bear in mind I am in Canada and it's very cold in winter.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:28 PM
goldduster
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I also have a CTEK 3300 which I use on my 991.2. I connect directly to the battery with the capped end coming out near the passenger wiper. I find it much easier to plug in that way. I use the car indicator light on it and have never had a problem.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:36 PM
AbrahamF
Track Day

I don't know about any other model but on the Cayenne the lighter connection is the only option.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:51 AM
Gonzalo38
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Why not connect just directly to the battery and pass the cable near the passenger wiper were there a space in the rubber for this effect ? Really easy and you don't have to worry about the other connectors not working.

Old 03-25-2020, 11:02 AM
AbrahamF
Track Day

Originally Posted by Gonzalo38
Why not connect just directly to the battery and pass the cable near the passenger wiper were there a space in the rubber for this effect ? Really easy and you don't have to worry about the other connectors not working.

Because the battery is under the drivers seat. It's not possible. The Cayenne is geared to use the cigarette lighter socket for battery maintenance.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:23 PM
Gonzalo38
Instructor

Originally Posted by AbrahamF
Because the battery is under the drivers seat. It's not possible. The Cayenne is geared to use the cigarette lighter socket for battery maintenance.
In my wife's Cayenne, I can still charge the battery by using some alligator clips and connecting them in the connectors that are located in the left/back side of the engine compartment.

The following users liked this post:
Wrtflyr (04-17-2021)
Old 03-25-2020, 03:10 PM
AbrahamF
Track Day

Originally Posted by Gonzalo38
In my wife's Cayenne, I can still charge the battery by using some alligator clips and connecting them in the connectors that are located in the left/back side of the engine compartment.

​​​

Thank you very much. I tried that and it didn't work for me. So I asked Porsche and they told me that only the cigarette lighter socket will work. Mine is an older model. But this works now for me.
I can use that under the hood for boosting and to start up but not for the maintenance when it's parked for a long time.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:01 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,090 Likes on 591 Posts

I have a few chargers and one of them is an Optimate with the de-sulphating feature. Any opinions on whether or not I can use that feature IF I am using the cigarette lighter adapter?

Also, I'd like to chime in on how often to use a battery tender. If it's going to not be driven for two weeks I hook it up. That's my gig.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:29 PM
Gonzalo38
Instructor

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
I have a few chargers and one of them is an Optimate with the de-sulphating feature. Any opinions on whether or not I can use that feature IF I am using the cigarette lighter adapter?

Also, I'd like to chime in on how often to use a battery tender. If it's going to not be driven for two weeks I hook it up. That's my gig.
Upscale. I currently have 4 Optimate chargers... al of them withe the de-sulphating feature. They work great..... all of their futures are available independently of how you connect them, unless your cigarette lighter adapter stops working and that's why I always connect them directly to the batteries.

I have 2 of them at home and 2 that are always connected to some Karts that we have with my son (picture attached). Karts can't charge the battery and that's the reason for having them connected 24/7. Batteries have really lasted if compared with other guys that just charged their batteries when they decide to go racing. In my 2 karts I haven't changed batteries in almost 4 years when the normal time is 2 or 3 years at the most.

I do travel a lot because of work so my routine is to connect my car every time I'm away from home for more than 3 days. Since I have permanent connections, it just take 1 minute to connect the charger and I'm a firm believer that my battery will last longer by doing it.

Old 04-20-2020, 06:19 PM
Craiger
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AbrahamF
Thank you very much. I tried that and it didn't work for me. So I asked Porsche and they told me that only the cigarette lighter socket will work. Mine is an older model. But this works now for me.
I can use that under the hood for boosting and to start up but not for the maintenance when it's parked for a long time.
Abraham, I have a 2014 Cayenne GTS. AGM battery is under drivers seat and the terminals are totally inaccessible. I've been using a float charger on the boost connectors under the driver side of the hood. COVID-19 or not, I don't drive it around town much at all, it's used for long trips. Float charger is installed for a couple days a month. This has been working for me for quite some time now. When I'm done, battery voltage is 12.65 volts which is approx. full charge. I don't understand why the underhood boost connectors wouldn't work for your CTEK. An electrical connection is an electrical connection. If the connection can handle the high amperage of a jump start, why wouldn't it handle the low amps of a battery maintainer? Hard to believe Porsche is correct when they told you that you can only use the CTEK through the cigarette lighter outlet. The boost connectors won't time out as some of the cigarette lighter outlets will so I'd give up on the lighter outlets.
Old 04-20-2020, 06:22 PM
AbrahamF
Track Day

Thank you very much Craig. I am going to try it again. Do you keep the hood open or gently shut it with the cables in between?

Quick Reply: CTEK Porsche Battery Charger ?