991.2 SIM Card ID

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 12:09 AM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts
Default 991.2 SIM Card ID

All,

Finally back in town this weekend and I'm trying to figure out how to link the embedded ATT SIM card in my new Carrera T to my existing family ATT account. It looks like in order to do that I need to setup an ATT myVehicle account, and that requires knowing the SIM card ID. Where do I find the SIM card ID?

cheers!
Old 03-10-2018, 10:39 AM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Received 361 Likes on 121 Posts

The Sim ID is the number on the back of the SIM. It is around 16 digits or so. VERY small numbers, so unless you have 20/20 vision, you will need reading glasses.

If for any reason the SIM provided with the vehicle is not allowed to be added to your account, any ATT store can give you a free sim and add it to your personal account on a data-only plan for $10 per month.

That's what I did on my 2017 Macan.
Old 03-10-2018, 10:59 AM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alex_c
The Sim ID is the number on the back of the SIM. It is around 16 digits or so. VERY small numbers, so unless you have 20/20 vision, you will need reading glasses.

If for any reason the SIM provided with the vehicle is not allowed to be added to your account, any ATT store can give you a free sim and add it to your personal account on a data-only plan for $10 per month.

That's what I did on my 2017 Macan.
Hi Alex,

Thanks for the reply. For 2018 - there is no longer a removable SIM card (e.g. no card in the PCM slot). It's only embedded. So...trying to figure out where the ID is given for that card. All my data services are currently active, but I can't find anywhere that has that ID.

cheers!
Old 03-10-2018, 11:02 AM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Are you sure the little Porsche door on the PCM does not open to put in the SIM?

There are TWO sims, one for regular PCM/Online services and another for Remote services.
Old 03-10-2018, 11:07 AM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Are you sure the little Porsche door on the PCM does not open to put in the SIM?

There are TWO sims, one for regular PCM/Online services and another for Remote services.
Yeah, it does open - but there is no SIM card in there - and John (SA) told me that for 2018, the external SIM is no longer necessary, it's all on the embedded SIM.

Maybe data services are now bundled with the annual Porsche Connect package?

So confusing...
Old 03-10-2018, 11:12 AM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

I would say that most SA's have no idea about these data services. In both my Macans (2017 with the new PCM) I had to show them how to do it, while they kept saying that was not the way to do it. In 2 minutes I was up and running.

I would bet you a beer that you need the PCM's SIM card to enable traffic, google maps, weather, in-vehicle hot-spot, etc.

Then again, you can setup your iPhone as a hotspot and connect the PCM to it for those services without a SIM.
Old 03-10-2018, 11:33 AM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

I would say that most SA's have no idea about these data services. In both my Macans (2017 with the new PCM) I had to show them how to do it, while they kept saying that was not the way to do it. In 2 minutes I was up and running.

I would bet you a beer that you need the PCM's SIM card to enable traffic, google maps, weather, in-vehicle hot-spot, etc.

Then again, you can setup your iPhone as a hotspot and connect the PCM to it for those services without a SIM.
Yeah - I usually have to DIY as well. But here - I've got traffic, google maps, weather, etc - even with no other device connected - so I'm confident the embedded SIM is providing data services. What I don't know is how long this lasts. The My Porsche portal says 3 months & 3GB of data are included - but then again, the intro for services was 1 year. Based on my reading it looks like the services are provided for 1 year, but you have to buy the data package...so I was just going to add it to my family data plan...that's where I ran into the myVehicle signup on ATT which requires a SIM ID.
Old 03-10-2018, 11:44 AM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Then I'm confused now (and may owe a beer on top of that!). Try tapping on the signal bars on the bottom left corner of the PCM. That should tell you what kind of connection it is using.

It should say either SIM card inserted or External connection (where it may be sharing the other SIM's data plan), or your phone's data plan.

You are not using your iPhone as a hotspot, are you?
Old 03-10-2018, 01:08 PM
iphilips
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

991-TOUR, very interested to find out the answer as well. I have a 2018 991.2 GTS and trying to get clarity on Porsche Connect, Porsche Car Connect and the embedded SIM is some form of black art.

I'm off to the dealer today to get my Porsche Car Connect activation code setup. I'll ask them while there if they know how/where to find the built in SIM #1 from the ATT service.

BTW - I have installed a Google FI SIM into the open slot (in the dash) and that gives me internet - but without Car Connect activation I can't see much else that is going on.

Seems as though Porsche had three different interns working on the different setup and then hired a few more to build the mobile Apps.
Old 03-10-2018, 02:05 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Then I'm confused now (and may owe a beer on top of that!). Try tapping on the signal bars on the bottom left corner of the PCM. That should tell you what kind of connection it is using.

It should say either SIM card inserted or External connection (where it may be sharing the other SIM's data plan), or your phone's data plan.

You are not using your iPhone as a hotspot, are you?
Nope, no iPhone as a hot spot. When I hit the bars - data connection says: "Embedded SIM card".

I just noticed that in the My Porsche web-portal, the navigation and infotainment package I have says "Services incl. Internet Connection" see below:

I wonder if for 2018 we no longer have to have a separate ATT data connection ?
Old 03-10-2018, 02:40 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

That is really strange. Perhaps they figured out that they could make more money by having a proprietary connection. The strange thing is that you can still connect to your iPhone hot-spot, right?
Old 03-10-2018, 02:52 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911-TOUR
Nope, no iPhone as a hot spot. When I hit the bars - data connection says: "Embedded SIM card".

I just noticed that in the My Porsche web-portal, the navigation and infotainment package I have says "Services incl. Internet Connection" see below:

I wonder if for 2018 we no longer have to have a separate ATT data connection ?
Sean, since we are talking about sims, phones etc, let me ask you a question: Does your T have the wireless charging thing inside the armrest? I don't know if that is standard in all '18 911's in the US.

I'm talking about the tray that has the induction charger.

Thanks!
Old 03-10-2018, 05:47 PM
goldduster
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Angry

I have been trying to follow the various threads on this, have googled it all, and read the manual and am totally mystified. I purchased my 991.2 in 1/18 and would like to have the full NAV and traffic info. I believe I have Car Connect and not Car Connect Plus (I think) and have a Verizon Iphone/Iwatch. I had the dealer set up my Car connect when I received the code but sort of feel having the vehicle info on my Iphone is useless. At this point I just figured that when one or the other of these expired, someone would contact me to sell me something and maybe tell me why I want it. Any advice you could give would be appreciated; otherwise I guess I'll stay stupid and unhappy with this whole thing. Funniest part of this is I have all of this on my Toyota Highlander and it just works
Old 03-10-2018, 07:06 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Alright folks - straight from the horses mouth (PCNA):

John suggested I call 1-800-PORSCHE, Option 3, Option 2 and talk to them with my VIN as they have the most current information. So I did, here's what I learned.

(1) Starting in 2018 Porsche Connect Services do not require a separate data connection, unless you want a mobile hotspot. All data required for PCM functions (Google Earth, Nav, Traffic, News, etc) is INCLUDED with the package. 1st year is free, then you pay.

(2) If you want a mobile hotspot, you can link your phone, or you can purchase and use an external SIM card.

This is a completely different setup than 2016/2017 cars according to the gentleman I spoke with, and they are in the process of updating all documentation on My Porsche to reflect this change.

Hope that helps!
Old 03-10-2018, 07:08 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Sean, since we are talking about sims, phones etc, let me ask you a question: Does your T have the wireless charging thing inside the armrest? I don't know if that is standard in all '18 911's in the US.

I'm talking about the tray that has the induction charger.

Thanks!
Yes, I have a phone tray, but I have an old iPhone 6 (with a new battery thanks to Apple!) - so I don't know if it does induction charging. I still have to plug it into the USB to charge/use CarPlay.

Quick Reply: 991.2 SIM Card ID