Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carrera T Rennlister Review

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 06:58 PM
vtrich
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I believe there is a rev matching feature, so it’s reasonable to think it could accommodate that type of driving.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:00 PM
paxton
Rennlist Member

Received 455 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by .moo.
I could be wrong but the video seems to reference to as a new function. I know on any manual you technically could but not good for the clutch but it sounds like this "thing" doesn't? Need some expert here to comment on this. Would be fantastic if it doesn't burn the clutch and still have this function.
Interested to learn about this as well!
Old 03-16-2018, 11:22 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
Its cell phone glass, but its supposed to be strong. Figure if it breaks you can always replace it with the standard wind screen.
Because Im planning on daily-ing the car my current build has the lightweight glass delete, but Im having serious second thoughts. There must be a vents that blow hot air or AC on the rear wind screen back there. It appears there is still a rear defrost button on the console for this purpose. Maybe 911 TOUR can confirm.
I also heard the lightweight glass adds 20 hp, and is installed on the T using a lightweight adhesive containing particles derived from Hercules' chest hair.
Sorry for the delayed response folks...been road-trippin' through Texas :-)

So I also just noticed the defroster button yesterday. Pushed it. Couldn't see that anything was happing in the rear - I think the mirrors got warm though (it was 60 degrees outside, so no frost!) We certainly didn't hear any air blowing on the rear window. I'll investigate more thoroughly when I get back.

Continuing the review:

4 way seats: Wife and I spent 7+ hours driving the last two days. I'm happy to report that the seats are wonderful. I've sold two cars over the years because my wife couldn't stand the seats - so this was a big trial :-) Even though they don't have lumbar adjustment these seats seem to enable one to recline the seat back just right so that everything is perfectly supported. I had absolutely no pinch points and wasn't fatigued at all. I'll give them a 9.5/10 and I'm only subtracting the 0.5 because I'd like the seat base to be just a hair longer to give my surgically repaired knee a little more support. But it's really nitpicking.

Off-roading capability: What you say? This is a 911...and a lowered one at that. Well folks, when you get off-the-beaten-path in the hill country - you might find anything, including a stretch of road under construction simultaneously in both directions. No where to run, no where to hide. That's never stopped me before, though (my 993 saw a few ranch roads over the years). I'm happy to say that the car handled it just find without FAL and on those crazy PZeros - and made it another 280miles onward (so far!). The construction workers were pretty amused. Needless to say, the car is a bit dirty now :-)

It's actually interesting how capable this car is...I've been ripping some *very* backroads that are poorly maintained. Have only scraped the front lip once and that was an unavoidable ravine dip that I took at 45 degrees. But other than that, It hasn't even been close.

I can also report that cruising at 75 mph in 7th - it's easy to listen NCAA basketball on Sat Radio -- the PZeros seem to be quieting up a bit after the first few hundred miles (thankfully)

Thanks for listening!
Old 03-16-2018, 11:25 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by paxton
Interested to learn about this as well!
I'm still breaking the engine in - but the manual in the T doesn't have the same language as the GT3 in this regard. I do not think the powershift is supported.

cheers!
Old 03-17-2018, 12:13 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,580 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
I saw this video too... looks bad as$. I dont think powershift is a function though. I think its just a really good way to burn up the clutch. It should work on the T, just as it does on muscle cars etc...
Originally Posted by .moo.
I could be wrong but the video seems to reference to as a new function. I know on any manual you technically could but not good for the clutch but it sounds like this "thing" doesn't? Need some expert here to comment on this. Would be fantastic if it doesn't burn the clutch and still have this function.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcKY03bFcYw&t=141s
Its not an old school powershift. It actually is a function similar to you lifting off the throttle. The car detects the clutch dipping and cuts the throttle while you shift, then re-applies the throttle when the clutch is re-engaged. No idea if the T has this, but the GT3 does.

Pretty sure the Camaro does this as well.

Old 03-17-2018, 04:55 AM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,220 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackOptic
Fixed it!!! :-)

Very good, if that's a picture of a mirror!

Old 03-17-2018, 05:21 AM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Originally Posted by BlackOptic
Sorry, yes... I saw the mirror idea. That doesn't happen in the door controls?.

...It was more of a question whether anything happens at the rear end of the car.

According to the Porsche Good to Know app (991.2) that button controls both the heated rear screen, and the heated mirrors. So I guess that where there is no heated rear screen (lightweight glass in T) that button still controls the heated mirrors...
Old 03-17-2018, 05:33 AM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Thanks for sharing another review update, Sean.

The more I read your reviews, the happier I get! Great to hear about the comfort of the 'standard' seats, because I've specced them too. Also pleased to hear about the versatility of the T, as mine will be a high mileage sole car and daily driver.

Please keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Simon

P.S. When I first saw your photo, I initially thought that it was just a nice view of countryside, until I realised that was the 'road'
Old 03-17-2018, 05:50 PM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 109 Posts

Is anyone getting a sunroof
Old 03-17-2018, 06:06 PM
Jordan Pryce
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by white6speed
God no. And you shouldn't be ordering a PDK either unless you're missing your left leg.
Old 03-17-2018, 06:10 PM
BlackOptic
Burning Brakes

Received 545 Likes on 222 Posts

nevahhh
Old 03-17-2018, 06:25 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jordan Pryce
God no. And you shouldn't be ordering a PDK either unless you're missing your left leg.

Quite right. Most believe that the sunroof and PDK go against the 'ethos' of the T. Although I've seen a few specced by Porsche Centres here in the UK that have one or the other, or in some cases both...
Old 03-17-2018, 07:09 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 124 Posts

I am. Two things I really like about the glass sunroof on a 911 is the amount of light it gets in. A small interior, finished mostly in black feels a lot smaller. And there are a lot of beautiful details that you don't get to appreciate without enough light. I love the bright airy feeling it brings to the interior.

The second thing is the beautiful combination of a black roof with GT Silver metallic. It is stunning. I just sat on a GT Silver Carrera T that had the glass sunroof in Miami and it was spectacular. I am extremely pleased I went for it.

Granted, it may be adding weight in the wrong place, and it may not be as stiff as one without it, but in reality, I don't think I am going to be driving it in such a way that I will be able to really notice that much of a difference. What I will notice is how much nicer and open the interior will look and feel.

During that same day I drove a 2018 911 GTS with the glass sunroof and love it! Even when doing some, er... "spirited driving" on curves and such did I notice anything that detracted from the feeling or handling. Perhaps a much better driver and/or in a track situation things may be different, but for me, it is one of the things I like the most about my build!

Having said that, if I was indeed going to track my car, I may have chosen a completely different set of options, like going for the LWB seats, no sunroof, no LED's, basic interior (not full leather), basic radio and PCCB's. But for a fun, enjoyable and delightful daily driver, I think that my options (full leather red T-Interior, 4-way seats (with rear seats), Glass Sunroof, LED's, Bose, Front Axle Lift, etc, are right in line with what I wanted the car to be.

Cheers!
Old 03-17-2018, 07:22 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 758 Likes on 448 Posts

hellz to the no
Old 03-17-2018, 07:49 PM
sphynxdude
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not even a thought in my mind....There is something wrong (in my opinion) how the black paint matches (or I should say doesn't match) with the A pillar. The weird notches throw off the aesthetics for me to the point that even in a non-T 911, I wouldn't consider it.

That said, build date locked as of 3/10, alleged May build and July delivery - how do I make time go by quicker?!?

Quick Reply: Carrera T Rennlister Review