Sponsored by:

Battery Charging

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 07:54 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Battery Charging

Does it make any difference if you use the 12v receptacle in the passenger footwell or the one with the smoking package?
Also I thought I read something here about if you leave the window down and run the cord through it it reacts differently than if the window is up but I cant find that now. Is there something to that?

Thanks
Old 02-28-2018, 08:54 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 66 Posts

No
Old 02-28-2018, 08:58 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Yes, for a 991.1. The smoking package one is guaranteed not to turn off at any time. The passenger footwell one can be testy since the car can choose to disconnect it in certain situations. You will hear a lot of disagreements with this, but I have had the footwell one disconnect on me before causing the charging to flash an error code. Maybe it changed at some point over the years of production.

The cigarette lighter one is the one recommended by Porsche on their TEquipment page
Old 02-28-2018, 09:00 PM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
Yes. The smoking package one is guaranteed not to turn off at any time. The passenger footwell one can be testy since the car can choose to disconnect it in certain situations.
been using my trickle charger via the footwell non stop for the last 2 weeks non stop without incident.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:05 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by gellie
been using my trickle charger via the footwell non stop for the last 2 weeks non stop without incident.
I should point out that the cigarette lighter recommendation disappeared from the Porsche-listed info in the 991.2, so maybe they finally resolved it in later years. In my prior 2014 the footwell was problematic.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:11 PM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 116 Posts

Yea makes sense.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:27 PM
GregD
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Better yet install CTEK pigtail connector on the battery itself, and route it outside the car via the top of the frunk, exiting under the wipers ?

The CTEK connector has a plug to weatherproof it. You can then charge without leaving *anything* open, risk pinching wires, wondering which port to connect to, and as a bonus you can test the car's voltage without waking it up (which gives false readings)...
Old 03-01-2018, 03:04 PM
Pmorritt
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

I have been using the Cetek charger for 3 yrs now. I attached the pigtail directly to the battery and routed it thru the hole in the back cover where the battery lives. When charging I pop the frunk and attach to charger and close the front lid to first stop. The frunk light goes out after a minute or two and stays off until I disconnect the charger and close the trunk. No pinching wire in door jam, window or footwell cutting out. It’s direct to battery and takes a minute to connect or disconnect.
Old 03-01-2018, 03:27 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GregD
Better yet install CTEK pigtail connector on the battery itself, and route it outside the car via the top of the frunk, exiting under the wipers ?

The CTEK connector has a plug to weatherproof it. You can then charge without leaving *anything* open, risk pinching wires, wondering which port to connect to, and as a bonus you can test the car's voltage without waking it up (which gives false readings)...
I use the same charger on 2 cars that both get driven regularly. I only hook them up occasionally. I suppose if I find the need down the road this would be a good suggestion.
Old 03-01-2018, 03:29 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Pmorritt
I have been using the Cetek charger for 3 yrs now. I attached the pigtail directly to the battery and routed it thru the hole in the back cover where the battery lives. When charging I pop the frunk and attach to charger and close the front lid to first stop. The frunk light goes out after a minute or two and stays off until I disconnect the charger and close the trunk. No pinching wire in door jam, window or footwell cutting out. It’s direct to battery and takes a minute to connect or disconnect.
What did you attach the negative to? The battery or a grounding point in there somewhere? I haven't even looked at my battery as I just got the car last week. Is there a good grounding point within proximity to the battery?
Old 03-01-2018, 04:09 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

My Porsche branded CTEC has worked flawlessly for up to a few weeks at a time in the winter, via the footwell recepticle for the past 6 years, routed under the closed door. I set it up and lock the car (but don't know if that does anything special).

Quick Reply: Battery Charging