Sponsored by:

Tires on the car from the factory and questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 10:23 AM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Tires on the car from the factory and questions

Took delivery yesterday of my C2S. It came equipped with Michelin Pilot Sport 4s. The SA seemed to indicate that was a recent change. I was curious about what others have gotten recently. I had about 100 miles highway driving to get it home and was pleased with the interior noise levels on the highway. This was my first significant amount of highly time in a 911 though so really have nothing to compare it to other than hearing negative reviews on that aspect of the P-zeros. Also noticed tread ware rating of 300.

I have limited tire knowledge. Anyone have thoughts on these tires they would care to share?

I notice the door placard shows 35/45 front and rear tire pressures. On the way home once they got warmed up I was indicating 38/48. Will verify the cold pressure today. Any recommendations on general wisdom when it comes to tire pressures on these cars?

Thanks for any input
Old 02-25-2018, 10:32 AM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 169 Posts

Interesting. Will postback here when I see what my Carrera T is delivered on this week.

cheers!
Old 02-25-2018, 10:36 AM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 332 Likes on 190 Posts

I swapped out my P Zero's for the Pilot Sport 4s and am very happy. I think you won the OEM tire lottery.

As for tire pressure... here is an older article, but still applies. Read this and your manual, and tweak from there. https://www.edmunds.com/porsche/911/...-pressure.html
Old 02-25-2018, 10:42 AM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

Two GTS yesterday in my dealer.

One with P Zero another with Michelin.

I have no idea which is better to be honest
Old 02-25-2018, 10:43 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Lots of Pirelli hate on Rennlist.

I put over 36,000 miles on my 991 with PZeros. They were an excellent tire. I don't find my current Michelin Super Sports any better, or any worse.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:16 AM
phx991
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^ I agree with this. For street driving, there's not much difference in ride quality and performance between Michelins and Pirellis. If anything, ride and noise are slightly worse with Michelin especially if using the older Super Sport.

On the track, however, the Michelin tires have much better turn in response and wear a bit more evenly. But at the limit they break loose immediately, whereas the Pirellis are bit more forgiving. If it wasn't for the livelier on-track feel I would buy the cheaper Pirellis.

My street pressures cold are 32/34 in comfort setting.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:21 AM
jnolan
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 47 Posts

My GTS shipped with N1 spec P Zeroes. It seems that Porsche started shipping some cars with Michelins around the December timeframe.

The MPS4 is a superior tire, observably more quiet than the Pirelli and treadware is rated better at 300 vs 220. I will switch out the Pirellis to MPS4 at the next tire change. There are reports that the N1 spec P Zero is noticably improved from the N0, but I don’t have any experience with the N0 tire. As for inflation, follow the sticker on your door and use the TPMS to track, it’s accurate to within 1 PSI.

The P Zero is an excellent tire, the Michelin is just better.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:37 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by wareaglescott
I notice the door placard shows 35/45 front and rear tire pressures. On the way home once they got warmed up I was indicating 38/48. Will verify the cold pressure today. Any recommendations on general wisdom when it comes to tire pressures on these cars?
For some reason the dealers seem compelled to deliver cars with the maximum "full load" tire pressures. Your ride will be much better with far less than that and will still handle great too.

All of this is explained better in the manual, but in a nutshell: Using the multifunction display, toggle up/down until you find the Tire air pressure display. Push the MFD stalk forward (or click if you have a multifunction steering wheel) to access the menu. You want to switch the tire settings to "Comfort". Then you can use "Fill Info" under this menu to find out how much pressure above or under the recommended setting the tires have. In this case you will see a + reading. Let air out of the tires until the Fill Info readout shows zero on all tires.

The nice thing with using Fill Info instead of absolute pressures is that the computer takes into account the current temperature of the air in the tire and gives you the proper number regardless of whether the tire is hot or cold.

And yes, your car came with very good tires for sport and road use.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:37 AM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by jnolan
My GTS shipped with N1 spec P Zeroes. It seems that Porsche started shipping some cars with Michelins around the December timeframe.

The MPS4 is a superior tire, observably more quiet than the Pirelli and treadware is rated better at 300 vs 220. I will switch out the Pirellis to MPS4 at the next tire change. There are reports that the N1 spec P Zero is noticably improved from the N0, but I don’t have any experience with the N0 tire. As for inflation, follow the sticker on your door and use the TPMS to track, it’s accurate to within 1 PSI.

The P Zero is an excellent tire, the Michelin is just better.
my GTS - (built 1/18) has the PZeros -agree with everything you said and that OP won the tire lottery.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:45 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,351 Likes on 761 Posts

In my opinion they are superior to the Pzeros in noise, Wet handling, and dry. I have switched out my Pzeros to the 4S. Good to see Porsche is going OEM.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:50 AM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
For some reason the dealers seem compelled to deliver cars with the maximum "full load" tire pressures. Your ride will be much better with far less than that and will still handle great too.

All of this is explained better in the manual, but in a nutshell: Using the multifunction display, toggle up/down until you find the Tire air pressure display. Push the MFD stalk forward (or click if you have a multifunction steering wheel) to access the menu. You want to switch the tire settings to "Comfort". Then you can use "Fill Info" under this menu to find out how much pressure above or under the recommended setting the tires have. In this case you will see a + reading. Let air out of the tires until the Fill Info readout shows zero on all tires.

The nice thing with using Fill Info instead of absolute pressures is that the computer takes into account the current temperature of the air in the tire and gives you the proper number regardless of whether the tire is hot or cold.

And yes, your car came with very good tires for sport and road use.
Good info. Thanks. Plan to sit down and read the manual later today. To much excitement on delivery day yesterday to crack the books!
Old 02-25-2018, 12:20 PM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 133 Posts

DK. I've had both Pzeros and the 4S, No real difference IMHO on normal street/highway driving. Wet or dry.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:22 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

tire pressure goes up about 4-5 lbs when hot. On a 100 deg day the tires are about 5 lbs higher on the road. Go get your car hot, tires really hot and let the pressure down to max printed on manual or in that vicinity. In cold weather its hard to keep correct because they dont get up to hot temps
Old 02-25-2018, 12:39 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Comfort tire pressures

31F/34R cold

33/36 hot
Old 02-25-2018, 12:42 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

So are the Michelins N rated now? Does the front ones have the lip to protect the wheels?

Quick Reply: Tires on the car from the factory and questions