Sponsored by:

Horrible Dashboard Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 09:23 AM
phx991
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Red face Horrible Dashboard Rattle

Anyone have a rattle coming from the dash area that's this bad? This is pretty much constant.

Attached Files
File Type: mp3
dashboard-rattle.mp3 (126.8 KB, 1178 views)
The following users liked this post:
Aaronsky (04-07-2021)
Old 02-20-2018, 01:18 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

There is so much there it could be anything. I had one on my early 991.1 that I was convinced was under the dash. Looked and had dealer searching for weeks.

Turned out to be something loose under the rubber cover in the trunk. The service tech connected whatever it was to where it went -- rattle gone.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:24 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Incredible....I have the exact same rattle. Terrible annoying. It will stop if you push dash inward for a while then it comes back after you hit a bump. Took to dealer and they say they tightened some stuff but its back though not as bad as before.

I cant believe it....the exact same noise in my car. Keep us posted. Would love to know what you do.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:26 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,266 Likes on 590 Posts

Upper right area, near the passenger airbag? Have had an intermittent one that sounds like it's from that area. Of course it's never present when the car goes into the dealer—but it cropped up again on my way home from the dealer last time. Fortunately, I haven't heard it for a while.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:06 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Upper right area, near the passenger airbag? Have had an intermittent one that sounds like it's from that area. Of course it's never present when the car goes into the dealer—but it cropped up again on my way home from the dealer last time. Fortunately, I haven't heard it for a while.
Pete,
Former P-Tech here. It could be in the headliner or A pillar. The pillar and sunvisor are easily removed if you want to investigate yourself. The foam under the headliner is extremely hard. Felt tape helps with this frequency. Earlier 991’s would make noise from the fuel tank mounts. Many people thought this was the dash noise but it’s not. There is foam under the metal straps that can come off and then the noise becomes present and resonates through the dash.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:18 PM
dkmesa
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Doubt this is still an issue in the .2, but my .1 had a terrible rattle from the dash area that turned out to be styrofoam trim from the fuel tank that had fallen out of position. Apparently a loose top strut mount can create a similar noise in .1. I wonder if either is a possibility in your .2.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:26 PM
phx991
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by points
Incredible....I have the exact same rattle. Terrible annoying. It will stop if you push dash inward for a while then it comes back after you hit a bump. Took to dealer and they say they tightened some stuff but its back though not as bad as before.

I cant believe it....the exact same noise in my car. Keep us posted. Would love to know what you do.
What part of the dash? I'm taking it to the dealer Saturday.

Originally Posted by stout
Seems to be coming from behind the gauges, but could be coming from anywhere and echoing around the interior.

Originally Posted by dkmesa
Doubt this is still an issue in the .2, but my .1 had a terrible rattle from the dash area that turned out to be styrofoam trim from the fuel tank that had fallen out of position. Apparently a loose top strut mount can create a similar noise in .1. I wonder if either is a possibility in your .2.
I've checked the strut mounts and they are definitely not loose. The car only has 3600 miles on it, and this has been going on since it hit the 1,400-mile mark.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:51 PM
jsimon777
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I get a similar rattle to this from my seat belt buckle...
Old 02-20-2018, 06:12 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My cupholder will make that sound depending on whats in it and how tight the bottle/cup is squeezed. That sound is all too familiar from a .1.

My .2 will make that sound if there's something my the door panel storage area thats against the panel w/tension if you know what I mean.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:05 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,266 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by 81911

Pete,
Former P-Tech here. It could be in the headliner or A pillar. The pillar and sunvisor are easily removed if you want to investigate yourself. The foam under the headliner is extremely hard. Felt tape helps with this frequency. Earlier 991’s would make noise from the fuel tank mounts. Many people thought this was the dash noise but it’s not. There is foam under the metal straps that can come off and then the noise becomes present and resonates through the dash.

Danke schön! Will check into...
Old 02-20-2018, 08:40 PM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by phx991
Anyone have a rattle coming from the dash area that's this bad? This is pretty much constant.

I have a rattle that seems to come from the dash near the windshield on the drivers side. If I place a pen between the dash and the windshield it goes away. Dealer can't find it on my 2013 C2S. Pls let us know if you find the cause.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:25 PM
phx991
Rennlist Member

Rattles seem to be gone. Here is what the dealer fixed:

Old 03-01-2018, 09:59 AM
phx991
Rennlist Member

That didn't last long. The rattle is back, but it's more subdued and seems to be coming from somewhere else in the dash area.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:17 PM
GregD
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Yours sounds more dash related, mine was more squeaky, but just FYI, it came from the fuel tank cradle (which was repositioned and tightened). I only mention it because it sounded like it came from the dash, but obviously did not... See if fuel level has any influence on the rattle ?
Old 03-01-2018, 02:02 PM
pdutta2000
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have that dash rattle but I have squeaks that sound like 100 mice are having a party right behind my steering wheel. The dealer swears they can't re-produce but it's there every time I drive the car. I now crank the music up to drown it out.

Quick Reply: Horrible Dashboard Rattle