Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well, that didn't take long...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 11:44 AM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Just a quick update. Closest Porsche Approved Collision Centers are in Orlando (both 70 miles away), and there are only two there. One is an AutoNation outlet, and the only PACC one of their numerous sites in the area. I have an appointment with the other shop for tomorrow morning. They are an independent shop that has been around since 1979, and definitely seem to cater more to high end cars. They will repair anything, but their website really focuses on being approved sites for Porsche, Audi, Mercedes, etc. The only downside to that shop is the person I spoke to on the phone told me up front they were currently booking into May, which could possibly be improved depending on the type/extent of the damage.

I'm just hoping at this point the repairs are just parts, and the fact it was a secondary impact kept the damage from going too far forward. By secondary impact I mean the car behind me was stopped, and the impact he absorbed knocked him into me. I fortunately was not the one who took the direct impact from the perp. I can't see a lot underneath the car, but the muffler was knocked out of alignment a little. The exhaust tips were pushed down slightly, which in turn raised the front of the muffler slightly, and there are some crush marks on the upper raised edge of the muffler. Kind of hard to see much more than that from the ground.

The front of the car still amazes me. Despite hitting the vehicle in front of me, There is no outward indication of damage. There is a large dirt smudge transferred from the other vehicle onto my bumper PPF, but it honestly looks like it will just wipe off, with no damage to the PPF. I haven't tried to clean it up, as that is the only evidence of where the impact occurred at this point.

I should know a lot more after tomorrow.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:49 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway
Just a quick update. Closest Porsche Approved Collision Centers are in Orlando (both 70 miles away), and there are only two there. One is an AutoNation outlet, and the only PACC one of their numerous sites in the area. I have an appointment with the other shop for tomorrow morning. They are an independent shop that has been around since 1979, and definitely seem to cater more to high end cars. They will repair anything, but their website really focuses on being approved sites for Porsche, Audi, Mercedes, etc. The only downside to that shop is the person I spoke to on the phone told me up front they were currently booking into May, which could possibly be improved depending on the type/extent of the damage.

I'm just hoping at this point the repairs are just parts, and the fact it was a secondary impact kept the damage from going too far forward. By secondary impact I mean the car behind me was stopped, and the impact he absorbed knocked him into me. I fortunately was not the one who took the direct impact from the perp. I can't see a lot underneath the car, but the muffler was knocked out of alignment a little. The exhaust tips were pushed down slightly, which in turn raised the front of the muffler slightly, and there are some crush marks on the upper raised edge of the muffler. Kind of hard to see much more than that from the ground.

The front of the car still amazes me. Despite hitting the vehicle in front of me, There is no outward indication of damage. There is a large dirt smudge transferred from the other vehicle onto my bumper PPF, but it honestly looks like it will just wipe off, with no damage to the PPF. I haven't tried to clean it up, as that is the only evidence of where the impact occurred at this point.

A thought - the bumper is salvageable based on the pictures. BUT, if you're set on a replacement you could easily order one painted in factory color and just have it put on, or do it yourself if you are so inclined. The diffuser is easy too.

The wild card is what happened behind the bumper that really needs expertise and no shortcuts. Also - perhaps you could drop it off at your dealer and have them just take care of everything and get a loaner.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:03 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Originally Posted by R_Rated
A thought - the bumper is salvageable based on the pictures. BUT, if you're set on a replacement you could easily order one painted in factory color and just have it put on, or do it yourself if you are so inclined. The diffuser is easy too.

The wild card is what happened behind the bumper that really needs expertise and no shortcuts. Also - perhaps you could drop it off at your dealer and have them just take care of everything and get a loaner.
I don't think the bumper is salvageable, but maybe it is. I don't plan on insisting on anything except it be put back to Porsche specs the way it was when I picked it up a few weeks ago. As far as injecting myself in the middle of repairs by ordering parts and putting them on myself, that is not going to happen under any circumstance. The job will be done and completed by a Porsche Approved Collision Center. I have no desire to put any of the warranty at risk by pretending I can do something better than they can. I really can't see a paint problem. They are Porsche approved, so they certainly would have access to Carmine Red paint, and the car is practically brand new, so it shouldn't be particularly hard to match.

As to my dealer, they are very accommodating, but quite frankly I don't view this as a problem they should have to be involved with. When the time comes to drop the car off for repairs, I will do that and just take a rental on the insurance company dime. The repair shop said they could have the rental set up for me when I drop the car off.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:36 PM
m5biemer
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by abe
A few things.....first sorry this happened to you and glad you are physically fine. I have been through a lot...I mean a lot in my life, so something like this I find insignificant. Loose a wife, nearly loose your life....and come back and talk to me about a fender bender.
Second....all these assumptions about how the accident happened. We really do not know if they were texting or not paying attention....so why get upset over something if we really do not know how it happened.
Third, if I read correct, the person in front of you took off. Be happy about that, because you could have been blamed for not keeping a proper distance and whatever damage you did to him/her could be on you.
A year from now this will be forgotten....
Sorry if I sound insensitive but when you have been here as long as I have and seeing real tragedies....and I deal and work in a field where tragedies is a daily event.....a fender bender is just that ....a fender bender.

Best,
Abe
Abe, thanks for the lecture, next time just keep it to yourself. You absolutely sound insensitive, and I doubt you're sorry about it either.

OP, that really stinks, if it helps and you're unsure about repair facilities, my local (Fields Porsche) supposedly has a great shop. My neighbor had a bumper off the car in front of him land on his hood (Cayman) on the Buckman Bridge and Fields was terrific. Ocala is fairly close to Jax, just sayin...
Old 02-21-2018, 01:40 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

I don't think the bumper is salvageable, but maybe it is. I don't plan on insisting on anything except it be put back to Porsche specs the way it was when I picked it up a few weeks ago. As far as injecting myself in the middle of repairs by ordering parts and putting them on myself, that is not going to happen under any circumstance. The job will be done and completed by a Porsche Approved Collision Center. I have no desire to put any of the warranty at risk by pretending I can do something better than they can. I really can't see a paint problem. They are Porsche approved, so they certainly would have access to Carmine Red paint, and the car is practically brand new, so it shouldn't be particularly hard to match.

As to my dealer, they are very accommodating, but quite frankly I don't view this as a problem they should have to be involved with. When the time comes to drop the car off for repairs, I will do that and just take a rental on the insurance company dime. The repair shop said they could have the rental set up for me when I drop the car off.
Understood - The bodyshop will be fine at the bumper. My suggestion for using the dealer is the unknown damage BEHIND the bumper that most bodyshops will not be equipped to assess. This way the damaged bumper comes off one time and goes back on one time. I'm not a fan of taking things off and putting them back on over and over and would fear rattles or wearing out clips, risking stripping a screw and some handsomely paid tech not caring enough to fix it right.

Not suggesting to make it the dealer's "problem" since they would be compensated by the insurance company but IMO an inspection is highly recommended with the bumper OFF.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:10 PM
ShaunP
Racer

Received 167 Likes on 92 Posts

hopefully its nothing too major. whatever the outcome of the repairs, make sure you seek diminished value against the responsible party's insurance.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:29 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Originally Posted by m5biemer

OP, that really stinks, if it helps and you're unsure about repair facilities, my local (Fields Porsche) supposedly has a great shop. My neighbor had a bumper off the car in front of him land on his hood (Cayman) on the Buckman Bridge and Fields was terrific. Ocala is fairly close to Jax, just sayin...
Thanks, I did see Fields on the list of Porsche Approved shops. I guess I just chose the Orlando shop because it was 40 miles closer (71 vs. 111). I bookmarked Fields in case something goes South with the shop I am seeing tomorrow.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:41 PM
macanakey
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by m5biemer
Abe, thanks for the lecture, next time just keep it to yourself. You absolutely sound insensitive, and I doubt you're sorry about it either.

Getting ready to post this, only to see that my better half beat me to it! Hello, Darling Hubster!

Sorry, to read about the damage, OP. Fields is supposed to have a Porsche Certified body shop,too. I was just talking to them this morning about some paint issues I have with my Macan. We may a bit closer to you than the Orlando shops are.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:04 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 691 Likes on 314 Posts

Good luck! Hope it all works out and that you get your baby back as good as new! So sorry that this happened to you.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:11 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,220 Likes on 449 Posts

Nooooooo! So sorry to hear about this, Gordon.

What an awful experience for you and your new pride & joy.

Sincerely hoping that the repairs are not too costly in terms of cash, time or inconvenience.

All the best,

Simon
Old 02-21-2018, 06:45 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

In all honesty I'm not worried at all about it being fixed to like new. If it can be put together once, it can be put together again.

What really frosts my butt, and is making me sick is after having it all of 3 weeks, in the blink of an eye it has been turned into a leper. When the times comes, I'll never be able to sell this thing with the carfax hanging over it. I probably won't be able to trade it to a Porsche dealer either. Not positive, but I thought I read somewhere a car in an accident can't be CPO'd, so what dealer wants a car he can't CPO. Maybe getting it repaired in a PACC, negates that CPO problem, don't know yet. I figure at some point, I'll have to either essentially give it away, or take it to my grave. Good thing I like the car.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:49 PM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 124 Posts

Don’t worry about that now. Just get it back like new and enjoy. Everything else is out of your control. Who knows. You might keep her for 10 yrs and this will all mean very little.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:42 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Gordon-

So sorry to hear about your car

I have something that may cheer you up a bit, though. I just happened to be sitting with my 10 year old daughter while she is watching her favorite TV show.....ALF !!

I couldn't believe it when I just saw your username. I told her about you and showed her your ALF picture. She thinks you must be the "coolest guy on Rennlist"
Old 02-21-2018, 11:41 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Originally Posted by Parnelli
Gordon-

So sorry to hear about your car

I have something that may cheer you up a bit, though. I just happened to be sitting with my 10 year old daughter while she is watching her favorite TV show.....ALF !!

I couldn't believe it when I just saw your username. I told her about you and showed her your ALF picture. She thinks you must be the "coolest guy on Rennlist"

I am. I was also quite famous on Melmac.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:52 AM
Speed Metal 951
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I am. I was also quite famous on Melmac.
Just spit beer all over the place remembering the grease fire episode!

Glad your fine, and hope the car gets sorted out right.

Quick Reply: Well, that didn't take long...