Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rears at 60%. Replace both?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 05:05 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Can always buy a used, un-pluged/un-patched, tire on eBay, too.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:05 PM
computertom
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

Man, this board is active!

So, I do plan to autocross the car this year (1 min + with speeds north of 70mph). I also plan to do a few track days. Seeing as how the fronts are at 90%, I guess I'll just replace both rears, one for "free" and the other on my dime. No need to keep the "good" 60% tire, as well, gotta get as many tires as I can out of this Tire and Wheel insurance.

Thanks for the input folks. Guess I'll be riding on Pirelli's for another year.

-Tom
Old 02-18-2018, 07:09 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 609 Posts

^ I'd definitely keep the good Pirelli. Just in case you pick up another nail. I once got three nails in a single year.

The following year, Porsche got rid of the spare tire with the introduction of the 997, touting 15 or 20 kilograms saved. I wasn't impressed at the press launch.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:55 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,030 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by computertom
Man, this board is active!

So, I do plan to autocross the car this year (1 min + with speeds north of 70mph). I also plan to do a few track days. Seeing as how the fronts are at 90%, I guess I'll just replace both rears, one for "free" and the other on my dime. No need to keep the "good" 60% tire, as well, gotta get as many tires as I can out of this Tire and Wheel insurance.

Thanks for the input folks. Guess I'll be riding on Pirelli's for another year.

-Tom
Sounds sensible--just spin the new rears a few times to catch up to the fronts!
Old 02-18-2018, 11:40 PM
USGooner
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by computertom
So it seems I have a picked up a nail right smack dab in the middle of one of my rear tires. They are at 60%. Is one new, and one at 60% a problem? Would you pick up a second? The first will be covered by my tire and wheel insurance.

Nail in my rear P-Zero.

Was really hoping my next set would be Michelin PS4S’s, so I’m half tempted to try and track down a set of those

, but the cost of eating one tire, doesn’t sit well.

-Tom
Should have never read your post. Just realized I’ve developed a slow leak with my RR. Looks like I’ll be going the repair route as well since plenty of tire life left on my PZeros. Good luck with your fix.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:09 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

I've read all the posts in this thread, and they offer sound, practical advice. FWIW here's a different perspective: buy four new tires and get a wheel alignment from a first class tire shop. Granted that this is an expensive option, but if you want to recapture the driving feel of your car when it was new, this is money well spent. I know that it's easy to spend other peoples money, but it's money well spent as far as I'm concerned.

Quick Reply: Rears at 60%. Replace both?