Sponsored by:

Dyno Check in UK ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 01:36 PM
Carrera2RS
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Dyno Check in UK ?

I am thinking of having my 991.1 GTS dyno checked, when I got the opportunity to really open her up, somehow she feels a little flat beyond 6,500 rpm. It reminds me of a tight engine back in the day, needs a few more miles to loosen up. Its done 8k miles, sounds lovely just doesn't seem as free revving and as sharp towards 8,000 rpm as I would have expected. Anyone know is they are easy to dyno and any recommendations in the South West ?
Old 02-17-2018, 10:16 PM
RRDnA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Litchfield Motors - they have a state of the art MAHA AWD dyno. I think they are near Tewkesbury.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:08 AM
Carrera2RS
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 68 Posts

Good call, only 60 miles form me. I'll speak to them next week
Old 02-18-2018, 06:09 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Make sure they have an Autel or piwiz
Old 02-18-2018, 09:28 AM
RRDnA
Banned

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Make sure they have an Autel or piwiz
not required - state of the art AWD dyno
Old 02-18-2018, 09:31 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by RRDnA
not required - state of the art AWD dyno
Have you dynoed a 991? I’m guessing not... even with a “state of the art” AWD Dyno, you still have to put the car in dyno mode. Has more to do with the car than the dyno.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:38 AM
RRDnA
Banned

Have you dynoed a 991? I’m guessing not... even with a “state of the art” AWD Dyno, you still have to put the car in dyno mode. Has more to do with the car than the dyno.
Look up MAHA, I'm guessing you have never seen one and never seen the litchfield AWD set up that can be used for PDK 2WD and AWD cars as used by the Porsche center.............and no you don't. They measure the run down/towing losses to - thats why they aren't used in the US.

These are not some belt driven AWD piles of junk. Each roller is independent and electronically controlled - different world. As far as the car is concerned its running down an autobahn.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:44 AM
R_Rated
Banned

LOL look up MAHA, I'm guessing you have never seen one and never seen the litchfield AWD set up that can used for PDK 2WD and AWD cars as used by the Porsche center.............and no you don't.
again, the reason for needing the tool has more to do with the car; and ECU, than the dyno. Any dyno. Porsche even put the car ECU into dyno mode on their in house dyno.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:52 AM
RRDnA
Banned

again, the reason for needing the tool has more to do with the car; and ECU, than the dyno. Any dyno. Porsche even put the car ECU into dyno mode on their in house dyno.

Again this is not correct in regard to MAHA dynos - the wheels behaviour is independently controlled - as far as the car is concerned its running down a freeway (whether it be 2WD or AWD). Loads of test data to support this.

MAHA dynos are used by many euro mags to check performance claims e.g. Sport Auto.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:56 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Again this not correct in regard to MAHA dynos - the wheels behaviour is independently controlled - as far as the car is concerned its running down a freeway. Loads of test data to support this.
Please post a video of your car on a dyno.

If the wheels aren’t moving in unison on a single surface then the car freaks out like it’s on ice and goes into limp mode. If the GPS doesn’t sense the car is moving at a consistent speed as the speed sensors the car freaks out and goes into limp mode.

I’m telling you, the variable is in the car and it doesn’t matter what kind of witchcraft you think the dyno contains.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:26 PM
RRDnA
Banned

Please post a video of your car on a dyno.

If the wheels aren’t moving in unison on a single surface then the car freaks out like it’s on ice and goes into limp mode. If the GPS doesn’t sense the car is moving at a consistent speed as the speed sensors the car freaks out and goes into limp mode.

I’m telling you, the variable is in the car and it doesn’t matter what kind of witchcraft you think the dyno contains.

I know - thats why you use a MAHA. There are endless runs of Porsche Sports Cars on MAHA dynos.

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/882023-gt4-dyno.html

They also determine towing/run down losses - wheel HP - calculated crank (combined losses plus whp) and torque.

No BS numbers.

GT3

GTS

Turbo

GT3 at Litchfield

Last edited by RRDnA; 02-18-2018 at 08:54 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:32 PM
R_Rated
Banned

I know - thats why you use a MAHA. There are endless runs of Porsche Sports Cars on MAHA dynos.

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/882023-gt4-dyno.html
lots of Porsches I’m sure are on many dynos. 991.1 and newer need to be put in dyno mode. Don’t know about cayman. That thread says cars were on a dyno. Great. It doesn’t address having to put the 991 in dyno mode. 997s automatically go into dyno mode without a tool. On ANY dyno. 991’s need a tool to do this. Why do you insist on debating this? Actually put your car on the dyno instead of reading about other people doing it and you will see.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:50 PM
RRDnA
Banned

lots of Porsches I’m sure are on many dynos. 991.1 and newer need to be put in dyno mode. Don’t know about cayman. That thread says cars were on a dyno. Great. It doesn’t address having to put the 991 in dyno mode. 997s automatically go into dyno mode without a tool. On ANY dyno. 991’s need a tool to do this. Why do you insist on debating this? Actually put your car on the dyno instead of reading about other people doing it and you will see.

My cars are heavily logged (this is useful information) I don't need to dyno any of my Porsches as I don't dispute the numbers. I don't think they are under rated and know this from logging and lap times in competition with other Porsche sports cars. You can see for yourself - in the above, 981 GT4 - 991.2 GT3 - 991.2 GTS - 991.2 Turbo. All run fine on MAHA dynos - You'll find Litchfield know what to do - they are high-end professionals.

A 718S is run at the end (also at Litchfield).
https://drivetribe.com/p/e1GHgGqORBi...QGiL5OOpnYUgjg

Its pretty straight forward and you get real numbers - non of the fantasy stuff and non of the BS

Last edited by RRDnA; 02-18-2018 at 09:13 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:57 AM
R_Rated
Banned

My cars are heavily logged (this is useful information) I don't need to dyno any of my Porsches as I don't dispute the numbers. I don't think they are under rated and know this from logging and lap times in competition with other Porsche sports cars. You can see for yourself - in the above, 981 GT4 - 991.2 GT3 - 991.2 GTS - 991.2 Turbo. All run fine on MAHA dynos - You'll find Litchfield know what to do - they are high-end professionals.

A 718S is run at the end (also at Litchfield).
https://drivetribe.com/p/e1GHgGqORBi...QGiL5OOpnYUgjg

Its pretty straight forward and you get real numbers - non of the fantasy stuff and non of the BS
I won't reply and continue to go back and forth on this after this post... I've dynoed my car and posted a video of it. I will have another one on an MAHA dyno in a couple weeks. I'm telling you that the wheels moving independently IS the reason the cars need to go into dyno mode. You need a tool for that to go into the ECU and engage dyno mode.

Think about it using common sense. If the wheels are all moving independently; as you stated, what do you think the traction control is doing at that moment and how do you think the car will react? You cannot turn traction control completely off, pulling a fuse won't get it (ask me how I know) and even if you could, GPS is telling the ECU, "hey my wheels are spinning really fast - how come I'm not moving?" There are a number of things that have NOTHING TO DO WITH ANY DYNO, no matter how superior. Speed sensors are real.

Yes - plenty of Porsches(pics and video) on the dyno - so what? They ALL had to have the ECU put in dyno mode; NO exceptions for the newer cars. Showing a car getting dynoed doesn't change this, I'm so adamant about this because it was a PITA once we got the car strapped on and had to figure it out. Very little info out there for 991's.

You stated yourself that you've not personally been to a dyno, why don't you do that and if you can dyno your car on ANY dyno without entering the ECU and putting the car in Dyno mode, I will Paypal you $500usd pending a video in this thread of your car getting dynoed and a picture of this post in the video. That will more than cover your cost.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:56 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

Could you two maybe just agree that if the shop has this super duper dyno and they have done plenty of P-cars on that they also know about the requirement to put the car in dyno mode or not? High end shops that would have this setup should know what they are doing without the need for the customer to bring his own supplemental device to make it work.

Quick Reply: Dyno Check in UK ?