New 2018 991.2 GTS. My first Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 06:56 PM
jdedeux
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New 2018 991.2 GTS. My first Porsche

Hi All,

I wanted to say thank you to everyone here for all the help on research, and decision making. i made my deposit today, and expect to lock my spec in March. They say late June delivery.

I would really appreciate any feedback on the spec. I didn't want to go crazy as i like the GTS almost as-is, and i wanted to stay in the 130K range, but can probably swing another 5K in options if folks think i left out a MUST HAVE. Would welcome your thoughts. Thanks a lot for having me on the forum, and i'll be sure to post pics once it's delivered.
https://www.porsche.com/microsite/po...px?c=/PJ8LXSF1

Notes:
- i like alcantara so not a big loss on full leather
- did not think light design package worth it. is it?
- i added guards red to dials and seat belts. worth the add on the chrono clock as well?
- went with the 4 ways based on positive reviews from most and the alcantara. will i miss the 14's or 18's that badly?
- i left out carbon in outside mirrors-- seemed expensive option but i know it looks good.
- front lift out as i read most folks had no issues scrapping
- left out seat heating because alcantara is relatively warm and i dont expect to drive this in below freezing temps
- is it worth adding leather or alcantara anywhere else like the visor and fuse box? i see a lot of people saying that's a must
Old 02-15-2018, 07:35 PM
Boulder Mike
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

I had 14-ways in my previous 911. I have 18-ways in my current 991.2 and 4-ways in my Macan. If I had to do it over I'd go 4-ways in the 991.2. I think they are lighter as well. Seats are very personal and everyone has their opinion.
I could have also saved money on the FAL. I needed it and didn't have it on my previous 911 but have not needed it on my 991.2.
Overall I like your spec as you did not go crazy. I would not do carbon in outside mirrors. It cuts up the look of the car. Again just one guy's opinion.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:38 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

Congrats on the car. I'm sure plenty of people will comment on the spec - but all that matters is what you think.

FWIW - I don't think you'll miss the 14 or 18 ways. You'll set the seat the way you like it and leave it. I'd miss the seat heaters and entry/drive.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:49 PM
BlackOptic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 222 Posts

Voice Control? (It is free.)

Edit: btw, I am jealous that you can get a June delivery. My dealer is saying if I order today, the order wouldn't be accepted until June/July and the car would arrive Sept/Oct. ugh.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:59 PM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had 4 ways in my GT3,GTS.
18 ways in TTS.
4 ways are fine imo.
Consider auto dim mirrors.
Might be a bit much red inside. Kinda a Superman edition if that's your thing.
I like the standard black aluminum trim.
And I got leather seating surface at no additional cost so I could get seat warming. Had to get cooling too as part of the change.
Opted for no sunroof and 6 lug wheels. But that's just me.
Have enough alcantara in my GT4.
My msrp 138.
Yours at 132 is good.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:02 PM
jdedeux
Advanced

Originally Posted by BlackOptic
Voice Control? (It is free.)

Edit: btw, I am jealous that you can get a June delivery. My dealer is saying if I order today, the order wouldn't be accepted until June/July and the car would arrive Sept/Oct. ugh.
interesting. Didn’t see that as an option—even if free. Thanks for heads up! As for delivery, that’s what he said, but maybe he’s being overly positive. I really hope it’s not September and miss entire summer!!
Old 02-15-2018, 08:03 PM
jdedeux
Advanced

Originally Posted by tstafford
Congrats on the car. I'm sure plenty of people will comment on the spec - but all that matters is what you think.

FWIW - I don't think you'll miss the 14 or 18 ways. You'll set the seat the way you like it and leave it. I'd miss the seat heaters and entry/drive.
thanks! I did get the entry/drive. I love it on my x5
Old 02-15-2018, 08:05 PM
BlackOptic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 222 Posts

Above Bose. I have also seen people who skip the Entry & Drive. Frankly I am pretty much done with the touchless approach, and fine with pushing a button.

Edit: German cars are pretty much against keyless start. Since I too won't be driving much in the winter, I don't think I'd miss it.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:10 PM
jdedeux
Advanced

Originally Posted by seapar
I have had 4 ways in my GT3,GTS.
18 ways in TTS.
4 ways are fine imo.
Consider auto dim mirrors.
Might be a bit much red inside. Kinda a Superman edition if that's your thing.
I like the standard black aluminum trim.
And I got leather seating surface at no additional cost so I could get seat warming. Had to get cooling too as part of the change.
Opted for no sunroof and 6 lug wheels. But that's just me.
Have enough alcantara in my GT4.
My msrp 138.
Yours at 132 is good.
thanks. I was a little worried on the red inside. The render shows all gauges red. Some other renders from 991.1 only showed the rev counter as red. Is that different in 991.2??
Old 02-15-2018, 08:53 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Very nice build! I actually like the red accents! It isn't like you went with an all red interior or anything. I think it will look very classy in person.

You picked the fastest color, too! Post pics when you get it.

Mine should show up in early April. I went a little crazy on the options but none of what I ordered is "must have" - your build looks great.

https://www.porsche.com/microsite/po...px?c=/PJKBZEJ1

Originally Posted by jdedeux
Hi All,

I wanted to say thank you to everyone here for all the help on research, and decision making. i made my deposit today, and expect to lock my spec in March. They say late June delivery.

I would really appreciate any feedback on the spec. I didn't want to go crazy as i like the GTS almost as-is, and i wanted to stay in the 130K range, but can probably swing another 5K in options if folks think i left out a MUST HAVE. Would welcome your thoughts. Thanks a lot for having me on the forum, and i'll be sure to post pics once it's delivered.

Notes:
- i added guards red to dials and seat belts. worth the add on the chrono clock as well?
- went with the 4 ways based on positive reviews from most and the alcantara. will i miss the 14's or 18's that badly?
- i left out carbon in outside mirrors-- seemed expensive option but i know it looks good.
- left out seat heating because alcantara is relatively warm and i dont expect to drive this in below freezing temps
- is it worth adding leather or alcantara anywhere else like the visor and fuse box? i see a lot of people saying that's a must
Old 02-15-2018, 08:55 PM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do a search for "red instrument dials in 991.2"
Old 02-15-2018, 09:00 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by jdedeux
Hi All,

Notes:
Good heavens, no. There are a lot of other places I would put that money before the visors or fuse box. I thought CF door sill is a nice touch (first thing you see when you open the door) and leather seat back shells instead of the silver plastic is very nice, too. Neither are a must have, though. I would rather put money into PDCC over either of those.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:28 PM
Danish79
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on your first Porsche! My 991.2 GTS is my first Porsche as well and my build is almost identical to yours (MT, rear axle, BOSE, 4-ways, no front lift, entry and drive, carbon trim w/ shifter) and I've been super happy with it. I did extended leather on to the dash as well as a few guys I work with recommended it. The only options I sometimes wish I had added is the LED headlights and the standard leather seats. I like the look of the single lens on the lights but I wonder if the LEDs are significantly better? The reason I went with the standard lights is that after watching Nick Murray's video comparing the two, it didn't seem like a big difference. With regards to the alcantara I think it looks good, but I wonder how it will wear as compared to standard leather? Finally, every time I'm cleaning the brake dust off my wheels I sometimes wish I had the carbon ceramics, but I couldn't justify the cost. Looking forward to seeing pics of your new car. Congrats again!

Last edited by Danish79; 02-15-2018 at 09:32 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 02-15-2018, 10:40 PM
jdedeux
Advanced

Thanks a lot! good to hear you are liking the spec so far. i'm also thinking of adding the extended leather for a bit more refinement and less plastic. i spent a lot of time looking at the LEDs, and i had a hard time justifying the cost. I had them on a Q7 and also tested them when i bought the X5 and they didnt make a big difference to me. will def. share pics--i dont know how you guys wait for these cars and not die in the process
Old 02-15-2018, 10:40 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

Congrats on the car and your careful selection of options. I'd add dimming mirrors and seat heating and call it a day.

Quick Reply: New 2018 991.2 GTS. My first Porsche