Sponsored by:

Impressed by C2S on Track

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 07:55 PM
Driven991
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Nice to see this kind of feedback, and from a known RL GT3er.

Been saying it from the start: Even the base 991.2 is all the 911 you need. Is it a GT3? No, but that cuts a few ways (most of them good), and the twin-turbo 3.0 truly alters the scope of the Carrera lineup's performance—and, at least in my opinion, excitement.

The 991.2 Carrera/S/GTS/T is a seriously well-rounded car.
While I was there a senior instructor at Birmingham PSDS told me that the .2 Carrera S is within 1-3 miles per hour of the GTS, turbo and GT3RS through the corners. That strikes me as fairly impressive. With an X51 power kit the C2S is a real sleeper.

Last edited by Driven991; 02-14-2018 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:45 PM
RRDnA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ And I've found that, on the road, the pace is down to driver alone. Unless someone has a death wish, a base Carrera can keep a GT3 RS in sight.
Very true, also if you have to drive a lot in wet conditions the P-Zeros are a better tire

MPSC2 N1

P Zero N1

Last edited by RRDnA; 02-14-2018 at 11:04 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:05 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,301 Likes on 604 Posts

^ Quieter than Pilot Sport Cup 2s, as well.

Spent 14,700 miles on MPSC2s in all conditions, replacing them after 13,000 miles of road driving and two days on track. Nothing during that time dissuaded me from my take the first time I tried them in 2013, on a 918 prototype on a rainy Leipzig test track: They are the best road-legal tires ever mounted on a sports car. That said, and while they are MUCH better than their predecessors in all conditions, they are not great in standing water and very loud on the freeway unless the pavement is very tight aggregate.

3500 miles in on the PZeros, I have to say the Pirellis are quite good. Porsche engineers told me this generation for the 991.2 can match existing R-compound lap times—for one lap, at least. Suspect I might like the Pilot Sport 4S even better, which like the PZero seems in line with a Carrera's "do anything" nature. An extra set of wheels with MPSC2s or RE71Rs might be fun to have, however…
Old 02-15-2018, 06:41 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,084 Likes on 621 Posts

^ Quieter than Pilot Sport Cup 2s, as well.

Spent 14,700 miles on MPSC2s in all conditions, replacing them after 13,000 miles of road driving and two days on track. Nothing during that time dissuaded me from my take the first time I tried them in 2013, on a 918 prototype on a rainy Leipzig test track: They are the best road-legal tires ever mounted on a sports car. That said, and while they are MUCH better than their predecessors in all conditions, they are not great in standing water and very loud on the freeway unless the pavement is very tight aggregate.

3500 miles in on the PZeros, I have to say the Pirellis are quite good. Porsche engineers told me this generation for the 991.2 can match existing R-compound lap times—for one lap, at least. Suspect I might like the Pilot Sport 4S even better, which like the PZero seems in line with a Carrera's "do anything" nature. An extra set of wheels with MPSC2s or RE71Rs might be fun to have, however…
Agreed on the MPSC2. They are really bad on standing water. My most nervous moments in my RS were on the highway in heavy rain not the track!!
Old 02-16-2018, 06:27 AM
RRDnA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tstafford
Agreed on the MPSC2. They are really bad on standing water. My most nervous moments in my RS were on the highway in heavy rain not the track!!
Yes, I've had similar experiences particularly in cooler wet weather - always inflate to maximum recommended pressures (on B pillar) when its like that.

Stouts right about the P Zeros you definitely can knock out one or two quick laps - after that they get greasy and you have to back it off.

The 4S look like a really good option for a street tire too (I forgot they came out N spec) .

Last edited by RRDnA; 02-16-2018 at 07:12 AM.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:21 AM
Mark993TT
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

The 4S is still not available in N rating in larger (GTS) sizes.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:27 PM
Gonzalo38
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Too bad to hear that the 4S in N rating is still not available for the GTS since in my opinion, is a much better option than the P-Zero´s.

I've owned two (2) 991.2's already and the second one came with the 4S. What a difference..... even my wife asked if Porsche had done some work in the suspension because it had a much more comfortable ride and it was way quieter.....

Now the car is much more enjoyable to drive around the city and in tight turns and hard braking, it behaves very well.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:09 PM
Jon D
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark993TT
The 4S is still not available in N rating in larger (GTS) sizes.
yes they are.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:24 AM
Mark993TT
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I am in Europe, I guess they are not available here.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:14 AM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts

To get back to the OPs comment, I had the good fortune this past week to spend some time with some old & new friends in a 991.2 base 7MT, a 991.1 GT3 PDK and a 991.1 GT3RS PDK on backroads between Houston and Dallas - when Pete says above that the base Carrera on the street can keep up with the GT cars unless someone has a death wish, he's spot on. The torque and power delivery in the 3.0 TT is a game changer. I'd driven it several times before, but not back to back with the NA screamers in the GT cars. The cars were objectively evenly matched on the street. And you know what surprised me - the GT cars have an aura and a sound that draws a bee-line straight back to 1963 - the experience is spine tingling at 8500 RPM, but the base 3.0 TT also has its own thing going on. Its not the same as the GT cars, but it *is* actually in the family of the 930/964T/993TT. And it's got a certain "sleeper", "less-is-more", "its me-not-the-car" vibe when you put them all side-by-side that was pretty cool. For sure they got the 991.2 right.

After we all had driven all the cars, and sat down for a beer - the consensus to the question of if you could have only 1 for the rest of your life was...any of them will do nicely :-)

That's impressive.

cheers!
Old 02-17-2018, 01:17 PM
Pmorritt
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Bossing
Yes sir! The .2 Carrera is a great performer even on the track... inspires confidence. Glad to read you enjoy it!

Nice feedback as well and yes I also agree that driver (skilled) + tires (sticky) make key improvements even over high powered cars....

For example, I used to have a manual 991.2 C2 and it sure held its own on the track. I consider myself an intermediate-advance trackrat since I'm a bit more conservative than always all-out gungho. As you can see the Carrera can duke it out with bigger players.... even track-spec ones too. I had tons of fun when I took mine to Homestead in the blue group sessions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROL2QWoJ_DM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6D_q4irjcg
I love the way that Mustang seems to always get sideways at most of the apex’s.
Old 02-17-2018, 01:28 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 911-TOUR
To get back to the OPs comment, I had the good fortune this past week to spend some time with some old & new friends in a 991.2 base 7MT, a 991.1 GT3 PDK and a 991.1 GT3RS PDK on backroads between Houston and Dallas - when Pete says above that the base Carrera on the street can keep up with the GT cars unless someone has a death wish, he's spot on. The torque and power delivery in the 3.0 TT is a game changer. I'd driven it several times before, but not back to back with the NA screamers in the GT cars. The cars were objectively evenly matched on the street. And you know what surprised me - the GT cars have an aura and a sound that draws a bee-line straight back to 1963 - the experience is spine tingling at 8500 RPM, but the base 3.0 TT also has its own thing going on. Its not the same as the GT cars, but it *is* actually in the family of the 930/964T/993TT. And it's got a certain "sleeper", "less-is-more", "its me-not-the-car" vibe when you put them all side-by-side that was pretty cool. For sure they got the 991.2 right.

After we all had driven all the cars, and sat down for a beer - the consensus to the question of if you could have only 1 for the rest of your life was...any of them will do nicely :-)

That's impressive.

cheers!
I'd add that at Treffen - my lowly 991 #1 C2s and another base had no problems keeping up with the newer cars. This was one the street - and on the street, even a base 3.4, if you hold the right gear in PDK and keep the revs up and stay in the lines then there aren't many cars that are really al that much faster. On backroads, the speeds just aren't high enough and the lack of torque isn't something that is a bog of a deal as people think when you're actually driving. It's not like you're in a high[wrong] gear all the time and punch it to pass or accelerate from a dead start all the time.

The new base cars - this would be even more impressive against a GTxx since they just can't use their power ot max out their capability on the street.

Another side note.... I'm always curious the conditions and driver skill of people that complain about the brakes on the new cars - which are improved and the #1 brakes are already quite good.
Old 02-17-2018, 02:36 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,301 Likes on 604 Posts

Originally Posted by 911-TOUR

That's impressive.

cheers!
Yes, and especially when one considers a 991.2 7MT can be purchased new with a fresh warranty for a LOT less than either of the other two, or any 964 or 993 Turbo car. The fact that it's a better all-rounder than any of them while still being in the "any of them will do nicely" club only makes it cooler. If a 997 RS 4.0 or GT3 Touring could be had with back seats (legally, and insurance-wise), I'd prefer one to the 991.2. Absent that, however, and with $$ considered, the 991.2 is the most interesting Carrera to me in 20 years...
Old 02-18-2018, 11:09 PM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 476 Likes on 224 Posts

Cool comparison OP. Hope to see you at AMP sometime soon.

Originally Posted by RRDnA
On track, the difference between the S, GTS, GT3 and GT3RS is down to the driver and tires.
Don't forget the GT4 in this list!

...and do DH slicks count in this debate? I have a 1:27ish at AMP.

Old 02-19-2018, 01:10 AM
asia
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Absent that, however, and with $$ considered, the 991.2 is the most interesting Carrera to me in 20 years...
Any idea how may 991.2 C2 MT sold in USA?

Looking at past sales by model (hard to find data) it appears C2 base might be about 10 to 20% of total 911 sales. And maybe 10% of those are MT.

With 911 annual sales of about 9,000, this means that there may be 100 to 200 per year.

Is this reasonable?

Quick Reply: Impressed by C2S on Track