Sponsored by:

LSD with PDK on Carrera T?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 02:56 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 425 Posts
Default LSD with PDK on Carrera T?

I know this might sound sacrilegious, but if someone got the PDK on the Carrera T, does that come with PTV+ with the eDiff or is it an open diff like the carrera?
Old 02-13-2018, 04:10 PM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
I know this might sound sacrilegious, but if someone got the PDK on the Carrera T, does that come with PTV+ with the eDiff or is it an open diff like the carrera?
Good question specifically for a PDK version.... which usually comes with the eDiff.

But based in the info on the Porscheusa.com website, it seems all 911T will have this standard as described below (PTV w/ mechanical ltd slip diff) and not dependent on either transmissions choices:

Old 02-13-2018, 04:58 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

This is about PTV and the mechanical diff lock. They dont talk about PTV + and the electronic diff. The main reason why I posted this here is because top gear mentions you lose lsd with pdk. Will post arlticle link below.

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/...dr/first-drive
Old 02-14-2018, 10:10 PM
G99x.y
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

With PDK you loose both mechanical lsd and ptv. Confirmed by my SA and numerous articles.

but what intrigues me is how much weight will be lost as well. Adding PDK gains 40 lbs.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:52 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

My SA confirmed this today also. Sounds like if you don't get the manual in a T then it gets awfully close to a base carrera. Granted there are other exclusive goodies with the buckets/glass/spasm etc. But it already comes with the standard brakes, so if giving up the LSD/PTV and adding weight with the pdk it starts to make no sense. Might as well get an S at that point.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:14 PM
RRDnA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting - I don't know if this is helpful or not - but, In the case of the S and GTS you have PTV and there is a lockable diff - in the case of the manual it is mechanically controlled and in the case of PDK it is electronically controlled.

If the car comes with PTV it should have a lockable diff..................push your SA hard.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:22 PM
G99x.y
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

My SA confirmed this today also. Sounds like if you don't get the manual in a T then it gets awfully close to a base carrera. Granted there are other exclusive goodies with the buckets/glass/spasm etc. But it already comes with the standard brakes, so if giving up the LSD/PTV and adding weight with the pdk it starts to make no sense. Might as well get an S at that point.

yes but but how much does the lsd weigh?
Old 02-15-2018, 08:30 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Not as much as the pdk for sure.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:17 AM
jnolan
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by G99x.y
With PDK you loose both mechanical lsd and ptv. Confirmed by my SA and numerous articles.

but what intrigues me is how much weight will be lost as well. Adding PDK gains 40 lbs.
Mechanical being the operative word. PDK with PTV+ offers fully variable torque distribution, so the question I have is the relationship between LS and PTV+ with the electronic control in the differential.
Old 02-16-2018, 03:56 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jnolan

Mechanical being the operative word. PDK with PTV+ offers fully variable torque distribution, so the question I have is the relationship between LS and PTV+ with the electronic control in the differential.
I think the consensus here is that PDK on the T gets rid of a locking differential and torque vectoring alltogether. A PDK-equipped T gets an open diff, just like the base carrera. PTV+ is not a selectable option and is not advertised on the website for this model. Hope this helps.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:07 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

I think the consensus here is that PDK on the T gets rid of a locking differential and torque vectoring alltogether. A PDK-equipped T gets an open diff, just like the base carrera. PTV+ is not a selectable option and is not advertised on the website for this model. Hope this helps.

Agreed. I went down this road with my SA. I have come to the conclusion that if I were to order a 991.2 with PDK I might as well get a base. I think the T is a "special" car but only if ordered with LWB, PCCB, MT and of course T interior. I can't decide on RAS - Yes it will probably turn a bit tighter but at added weight an complexity so I can get behind a T with no RAS for the traditional simplistic sense.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:10 PM
GTOWN83
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

LSD, oh........ Limited Slip Differential.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:10 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

You also can't get 19's for the winter with rear axle steering. 20's only.
RAS also hides some of the weight transfer from the rear engine... so probably good for cornering but takes away some of that classic 911 feeling
Old 02-16-2018, 04:12 PM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

I think the T is even more special with just a manual, that’s it. Bang for the buck. LWBS + PCCB is enticing but the value equation comes to play. Everything else is just an extra or mostly fluff.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:17 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

I would rather buy a stripper GTS than pay for the LWBS and PCCB on a T. Just me. Would rarely track the car, plus my little daughters look cute in the back seats.

Also.. your GT3 looks super BAD A$$, dude

Quick Reply: LSD with PDK on Carrera T?