Received 778 Likes on 344 Posts

It’s a fair price. It’ll sell.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:09 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,574 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
Not sure why everyone is speculating about dealer profit. Just go to the internet and you'll find the invoice and MSRP for the base and options.
That's not nearly all of it.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:35 PM
SBARacing
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

While on the lot new may see steeper price drops, new build is a whole diff game.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:08 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
Bemo- no disrespect, but your car is yellow. Have you seen how long yellow cars stay on the market in southern New England. A yellow 2CS at Danbury hung out for almost a year before being sold with a heavy discount. Other colors would go for a much lower discount.
I shopped and Danbury and Fairfield at the time, neither was willing to budge much. I got Danbury down to 11% on a base 2016 Lava Orange. So I'm not at all convinced that the color was the reason. I think timing had more to do with it as the 2017s were due to come out and out of state dealers wanted the left overs gone. Little did they know that they were parting with a highly sought after NA beast

That said fun colors are not for the faint of heart! Definitely bring sunglasses to the next drive. And ear plugs.

Back on topic, this red beauty is over priced.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:16 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
Bemo- no disrespect, but your car is yellow. Have you seen how long yellow cars stay on the market in southern New England. A yellow 2CS at Danbury hung out for almost a year before being sold with a heavy discount. Other colors would go for a much lower discount.
Your post suggests another possibility. It could have been a custom ordered car, and the customer had a change of heart. Maybe the guy put down a deposit which was forfeited. That would give the dealer a lot of latitude with respect to discounting.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:22 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Your post suggests another possibility. It could have been a custom ordered car, and the customer had a change of heart. Maybe the guy put down a deposit which was forfeited. That would give the dealer a lot of latitude with respect to discounting.
Oh yes, the story I was told was that it was a custom order but the client wanted a manual whereas the dealer made the mistake of ordering DCT, and had to reorder the car as a result. I wanted to pay 104, the dealer was motivated so we settled at 112.

So I expect the red beauty in this thread to sell for 102-105 max.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:14 AM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

I sat in that very car in early 2017 when my friend was finalizing his deal on a CPO '14 911-50. It was RY and black Carrera S wheels, otherwise a standard spec relatively modestly equipped .2S. .I think the msrp was about 122, it was listed well into late 2017 with a large discount. I think there is an equal chance it was a dealer spec.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:40 PM
Class5Kayaker
Pro

Received 211 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
I think the general rule I have heard is 10% profit on the car and 15% on options. Therefore if you can get 4 or 5% off (I got 5% on my 1.1 GTS) a custom order on a mostly desirable car, that seems fair to all involved. In the case of this car, all I can think is what a bath the original owner must have taken especially if in a high tax state!

Jim
I think this is a good point that many folks don't consider. I'd argue that on some options, Porsche makes way more than 15%. Maybe 15% is the dealer's profit, but the factory has got to be making a killing on some options. Does anyone really think that changing out the paint booth to a PTS color is any more expensive than changing the booth from one of the base colors to another? Yet, the premium is ridiculous (hell, it even changes based on what type of 911 you're purchasing yet the body of the car is virtually the same from a painting perspective).

But back to your point, the more options on a car, the more "wiggle room" a dealer has in lowering price from the total MSRP. There is less "wiggle room" on a car with little to no options. And I think this is something many people don't consider when worrying if they got as much a percentage off of MSRP as someone else. Did the guy that got 12% off have $80K in options or was it a stripped down model with no options? It definitely makes a difference.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:05 PM
BlackOptic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 222 Posts

Looking for my first Porsche ...and 911....

Looking at cars with sports exhaust and chrono package... one quickly gets into the range of the CPO GTS.... I'd like a 'leanly' optioned 991.2 GTS... and when I configured a lean GTS I almost came up with just this.

I see this CPO GTS in Atlanta. $116k. Any input on the cost/value?

Also: any way to swap out the Bordeaux color seat belts???

(Don't buy it 'coz I showed you it. :-) )

https://porscheatlantaperimeter.com/...+White+1670183

Last edited by BlackOptic; 02-12-2018 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:31 PM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by nilaz
The price is not attractive.

For someone who has 115K to buy a car with some options which might not be in his interest he will go for a new one with 125K.

It is only 15% below MSRP. It is a second hand sports car therefore when the price will go 25% less than MSRP it will be sold.

I am in exactly the same position. I can buy a light used car like this with 23% bellow MSRP but I can order the car I want and wait for 5 months with a discount 13%. As soon as my dealer give me 15% discount I will order to car.

Dealers I believe they have profit up to 40% for a normal opted car.
Don't know where you get your information, but it's not factual. Dealer's profit is the difference between invoice and MSRP and that data is available to anyone with internet access. Some manufacturers also have holdbacks, but that is at most 2% of invoice.
If you wait to get a 15% discount on a new GTS without a "history", you better be patient because you are going to have a loooooooooooong wait.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:37 PM
BlackOptic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackOptic
Looking for my first Porsche ...and 911....

Looking at cars with sports exhaust and chrono package... one quickly gets into the range of the CPO GTS.... I'd like a 'leanly' optioned 991.2 GTS... and when I configured a lean GTS I almost came up with just this.

I see this CPO GTS in Atlanta. $115k. Any input on the cost/value?

Also: any way to swap out the Bordeaux color seat belts???

(Don't buy it 'coz I showed you it. :-) )

https://porscheatlantaperimeter.com/...+White+1670183
One more thing. The VIN search pegs this at $124,960 new. But if I configure it today online it shows at $126,680.
a) did the price really go up that much in one year? (Pretty sure I matched the options.)

b) Also, so the depreciation is roughly 7% for a almost one year old car from original price. Seem high? Should I expect a little room for negotiation?
Old 02-12-2018, 03:34 PM
SPIKES
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
Oh yes, the story I was told was that it was a custom order but the client wanted a manual whereas the dealer made the mistake of ordering DCT, and had to reorder the car as a result. I wanted to pay 104, the dealer was motivated so we settled at 112.

So I expect the red beauty in this thread to sell for 102-105 max.
so I called this morning and car is SOLD to an out of state buyer....
Old 02-12-2018, 04:59 PM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

Don't know where you get your information, but it's not factual. Dealer's profit is the difference between invoice and MSRP and that data is available to anyone with internet access. Some manufacturers also have holdbacks, but that is at most 2% of invoice.
If you wait to get a 15% discount on a new GTS without a "history", you better be patient because you are going to have a loooooooooooong wait.
I can order it tomorrow with 13% and dealer will pay factory collection means almost 14%. I believe this is a fair deal. Now i am trying to concince myself that I have to invest this amount of money to a car.....

I cannot justify to give my 2017 M car and another 70K for a 911 GTS...
Old 02-12-2018, 05:36 PM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by nilaz
I can order it tomorrow with 13% and dealer will pay factory collection means almost 14%. I believe this is a fair deal. Now i am trying to concince myself that I have to invest this amount of money to a car.....

I cannot justify to give my 2017 M car and another 70K for a 911 GTS...
Would you care to share the name of the Dealer that is offering this discount on a new GTS? Also, the name of the SA that you are dealing with. I'll call him tomorrow and place an order, if they give me a 13% discount on a new order..
Old 02-12-2018, 06:16 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,178 Likes on 434 Posts

Would you care to share the name of the Dealer that is offering this discount on a new GTS? Also, the name of the SA that you are dealing with. I'll call him tomorrow and place an order, if they give me a 13% discount on a new order..
I don't believe that nilaz is in the US.

Quick Reply: Why hasn't this sold? - GTS