Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why hasn't this sold? - GTS

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 03:57 PM
DarkSideEwok
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dealers have around 13-14% off MSRP for profit on ALL P cars.

the sales department usually has 10% of that 13-14% to play with.

the remaining 3-4% goes into paying for the dealership overhead, the dealer principal (owner's) pocket, washing the car, gassing the car, paying the tech to prep the car.

so yes, you can get 13% off a custom factory ordered car, but only a dealer who doesn't have confidence in their sales force selling their product or in their product in general would stoop to that level.

Think about it, as a manager, wouldn't you rather take a chance having your sales staff sell a 911 for 3% off when the car arrives o your dealership vs. giving up the fight immediately and discounting a car 13% before the actual car even sees the light of day.
Old 02-11-2018, 04:02 PM
ShaunP
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 93 Posts

doubtful that it was a pcna car as it was titled at 21 miles. every pcna car that i have seen doesn't have that initial title issued
Old 02-11-2018, 04:11 PM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

This is a very interesting topic therefore here are some facts.....

Each dealer has some minimum cars needs to sell every year. If will not manage to sell each car company penalize the dealer with lower margins in the future or less allocations on hot models.
We are talking for sales therefore everyone has to try hard to sell as much as possible.

There are not unlimited buyers who contribute 150K for a car and the competition in this range is huge.
Someone can buy a 911, another one a Mercedes, another one a Lotus etc. Too many good cars that companies try to promote and sell in order to make 💰.

When you want to order a car dealers ask for a downpayment around 15-20% in order to prepare and send your order.
After 4-5-8-10 months that car is ready to be shipped they ask another 60-70% payment in order the car to be shipped.

Finally during delivery which usually is one month after shipment the remaining amount needs to be paid.

In the whole E2E process dealer has not put any money from his pocket for this car. It is full finance from the buyer.

I personally believe that for a new ordered car if I will not achieve the desired price I should not order it. No matter how much the dealer margin is is not my business.
Old 02-11-2018, 04:18 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
Would you care to answer some questions about your purchase?
1 What dealer sold you the car?
2. Was the car a demo and how many miles were on the odometer when you made your purchase?
3. What was the MSRP and what did you pay?
4. Could you print a copy of the MSRP for us to view?
5. Does the car, to the best of your knowledge, have a history, e.g., damaged in transit?
Here is a link to my thread

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9328...-attached.html

The car was not a demo, it was purchased new with 67miles on the clock.

MSRP was $145+, paid 112
No history not damaged to the best of my knowledge nor was anything disclosed to me by the dealer/car fax check, though it was delivered to me by the meanest truck driver on Earth.

Deals are out there to be had, many have reported similar purchases with 20%+ savings, not common but doable.
Old 02-11-2018, 04:23 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by nilaz
I believe 30-40% Gross profit. After that dealer needs to pay income tax, salaries, operation cost etc. Therefore contribution profit ends up to 15-20% depends how lean or fat the dealer organization is.

But as I said it's not my business. I respect every business model taking into account the offer and demand.
No, dealers do not make that much gross profit on the sale of a new Porsche. Not even close.
Old 02-11-2018, 04:30 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo

MSRP was $145+, paid 112
No history not damaged to the best of my knowledge nor was anything disclosed to me by the dealer/car fax check, though it was delivered to me by the meanest truck driver on Earth.

Deals are out there to be had, many have reported similar purchases with 20%+ savings, not common but doable.
Thanks for sharing. You got the car for about $10K under dealer's cost. So the dealer got some money from somewhere. Since I'm assuming this was a new car, never titled, Porsche must have sent some money to the dealers. I play golf on a regular basis with the General Manager of Porsche of Towson. Next time we play, I'll have to ask him about Porsche "trunk" money for a GTS. I'm going to be pissed if Porsche gave the dealers a lot of money and he didn't tell me about it.
Old 02-11-2018, 04:32 PM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
No, dealers do not make that much gross profit on the sale of a new Porsche. Not even close.
OK thanks for the clarification. I respect your knowledge.
Old 02-11-2018, 04:38 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Dealers absolutely do not have 40% in a new car. That's the funniest thing I have read in a very long time.
I think the general rule I have heard is 10% profit on the car and 15% on options. Therefore if you can get 4 or 5% off (I got 5% on my 1.1 GTS) a custom order on a mostly desirable car, that seems fair to all involved. In the case of this car, all I can think is what a bath the original owner must have taken especially if in a high tax state!

Jim
Old 02-11-2018, 04:42 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by ShaunP
doubtful that it was a pcna car as it was titled at 21 miles. every pcna car that i have seen doesn't have that initial title issued
True, rotors still look bad shape for 6K.
Old 02-11-2018, 04:46 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
Thanks for sharing. You got the car for about $10K under dealer's cost. So the dealer got some money from somewhere. Since I'm assuming this was a new car, never titled, Porsche must have sent some money to the dealers. I play golf on a regular basis with the General Manager of Porsche of Towson. Next time we play, I'll have to ask him about Porsche "trunk" money for a GTS. I'm going to be pissed if Porsche gave the dealers a lot of money and he didn't tell me about it.
Keep us posted.
Old 02-11-2018, 06:04 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 698 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by SPIKES
Welcome to another episode of Why hasn't his sold...

I was wondering with all the talk of GTS cars being limited, low allocation and dealers not willing to sell for anything less than msrp.

Why hasn't this GTS Sold?

wondering what your association is with this dealer....2nd car from same dealer?
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhale
The reason it has not sold is because it's only been for sale for 2 days. Click on the free CarFax.

GTS's are great merchandise, but sometimes it takes longer than 24 hours for them to sell.
Originally Posted by ShaunP
it's only been listed for sale for 2 days...
Old 02-11-2018, 06:19 PM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 129 Posts

I’m sure there are some amazing deals to be had. However here in the Tri State Area where inventories seem to be very limited especially on S Cabs That are highly optioned. Wall St had a good year and dealers all less likely to negotiate. I’m sure going out of state to regions where maybe the local economy isn’t doing as well might work. For me I don’t have that much time or the inclination to do so. Just looking for a fair deal. Like the old saying “everybody has to eat”.
Old 02-11-2018, 06:22 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,286 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
1. The mileage
2. The color
3. Buyers have really moved to the custom spec end of buying a 911. Seems to be more the case with .2
4. 911 sales aren't exactly record breaking now. Add some more stock market drama, they will tank.

Interested in Number 2. Is Carmine Red not considered to be a 'classic' GTS colour? Certainly in marketing material, Carmine Red has featured heavily in the promotions of the 991.2 GTS and the 718 GTS.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:08 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by jnolan

No, not even close. Porsche dealer margin is 14% on MSRP. The extras, such as insurance and prepaid maintenance, along with financing SPIFFS add to their profit. If there is a markup over MSRP, such as the case with GT3 buys, that certainly pads profit margins. People are usually suprised to learn how little profit there is in new cars, which explains why dealership groups have expanded and put the squeeze on indepedent dealers... volume matters.
Not sure why everyone is speculating about dealer profit. Just go to the internet and you'll find the invoice and MSRP for the base and options.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:40 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo

MSRP was $145+, paid 112

Bemo- no disrespect, but your car is yellow. Have you seen how long yellow cars stay on the market in southern New England. A yellow 2CS at Danbury hung out for almost a year before being sold with a heavy discount. Other colors would go for a much lower discount.

Quick Reply: Why hasn't this sold? - GTS