Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why hasn't this sold? - GTS

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 11:37 AM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 723 Likes on 333 Posts

Everybody likes to leave the dealership with the knowledge that they gave you something for your business, usually an acceptable discount on the car and/or a promise of sort in regard to future business. Smart dealerships invest in their clients this way. But, as a client of a dealership one must also have the understanding they also have taxes to pay, all types of different insurance relating to inventory, conducting business, E and O, workers comp etc. Then they also have loans to pay for the buildings, shops and equipment, inventory, flooring etc. All of this on top of having to pay competitive salaries and commissions. The aforementioned solely has to be paid through sales of cars, parts, get a point or two on financing and service. People who are employees, get a check every two weeks don't have to think about how it all has to work.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:38 AM
SPIKES
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

Welcome to another episode of Why hasn't his sold...

I was wondering with all the talk of GTS cars being limited, low allocation and dealers not willing to sell for anything less than msrp.

Why hasn't this GTS Sold?

wondering what your association is with this dealer....2nd car from same dealer?
Old 02-11-2018, 11:43 AM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by m5biemer
Seriously dude?
Seriously. But as I said everyone has its own beliefs.

Its quite interesting to define the profit margin for luxury items. I am in the industry for 20 years and I am not here to challenge others.
Everyone has the right to spend his money as his want.

Someone buy a hot Rolex with 15% higher than MSRP, someone at MSRP and someone else with 5% less than MSRP.
All of the previous buyers are fine. I do not judge anyone.

Someone feel OK to buy a 911 with 5% below MSRP, someone else with 8% and someone else is looking for 14%.

Please keep in mind that MSRP varies from country to country and same also the taxation. Therefore 5% difference I do not consider it as deal breaker.
The point is whatever the dealer would like to sell his cars or consider them as luxury items that if you do not buy someone else will buy and pay more.

Whatever I meet this attitude I move forward without any complains about the business model.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:54 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

This is a USED car. Who cares what dealer margins are on new cars? They do have to run a business. Shop around and get the best deal you can in a free market.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:33 PM
STG
Race Director

By the way, there are 100's of used 991.2's for sale out there. Reality is, there are ALWAYS cars for sale until they sell.

These cars aren't the hottest thing since sliced bread contrary to what you hear.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:10 PM
kuma1416
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Interesting discussion actually. Porsche has long touted its profit margin per car over its entire model line, which has hovered around 20K , far more than any other mass produced automaker. I've always wondered though , is this 20K including the dealer profit , or is it wholly Porsche's profit (i.e., dealer gets profit in addition to this). If it is the latter, then Porsche is truly making a killing on these cars. I also wonder what the spread in profit margin is between say a base Cayenne and a 911 Turbo S. I read somewhere the profit margin is lower on SUVs and much higher on the 911's, (60-70K on a Turbo). As has been suggested on other threads, the margin also likely varies by country. In China (Hong Kong), the starting price on a C4S w/o options is around 300K US dollars, same in Australia. Taiwan a little lower @ 200K $. Even with tariffs and gov't fees, that's a pretty good profit.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:50 PM
ChicagoWhale
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts

The reason it has not sold is because it's only been for sale for 2 days. Click on the free CarFax.

GTS's are great merchandise, but sometimes it takes longer than 24 hours for them to sell.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:30 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 260 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by m5biemer
Seriously dude?
Do you just walk in and pay MSRP? If yes, you must hate money....

Folks often forget what the S stands for in MSRP.

I bought my GTS as a last year model off the lot, with a 23% discount. It's not unheard of but certainly took work to get there.
Rolex from an authorised dealer for 22% off MSRP.

Argue all you want but you always have to ask for and bargain hard to get to a number that you want...

So, to stay on topic, this car is way overpriced. I'd hear you with a number that is 28-30% off MSRP. Until then, I can't hear you.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:41 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,580 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Originally Posted by nilaz
Probably not in Porsche but I am sure for every car in the range of 150K the profit is around 45K.

In any case is not my business therefore not my interest how much is the dealer profit. My interest is to buy whatever I want to buy and feel confident.
lol, this is funny.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:43 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,580 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Seriously. But as I said everyone has its own beliefs.

Its quite interesting to define the profit margin for luxury items. I am in the industry for 20 years and I am not here to challenge others.
Everyone has the right to spend his money as his want.

Someone buy a hot Rolex with 15% higher than MSRP, someone at MSRP and someone else with 5% less than MSRP.
All of the previous buyers are fine. I do not judge anyone.

Someone feel OK to buy a 911 with 5% below MSRP, someone else with 8% and someone else is looking for 14%.

Please keep in mind that MSRP varies from country to country and same also the taxation. Therefore 5% difference I do not consider it as deal breaker.
The point is whatever the dealer would like to sell his cars or consider them as luxury items that if you do not buy someone else will buy and pay more.

Whatever I meet this attitude I move forward without any complains about the business model.
Yur purchasing attitude is fine. Nothing wrong with it.

But your estimate of hw much profit a dealer has in a car is way, way off.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:13 PM
ShaunP
Racer

Received 167 Likes on 92 Posts

it's only been listed for sale for 2 days...
Old 02-11-2018, 03:35 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,870 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Dealers I believe they have profit up to 40% for a normal opted car.
I'm sorry, wut? Dealers have 40% profit on new cars?!
Old 02-11-2018, 03:40 PM
STG
Race Director

Rotors look pretty grooved for only 6K miles.

CarFax does not look like it, could it be PCNA car or was surely tracked from what I can tell.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:46 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
Do you just walk in and pay MSRP? If yes, you must hate money....

Folks often forget what the S stands for in MSRP.

I bought my GTS as a last year model off the lot, with a 23% discount. It's not unheard of but certainly took work to get there.
Rolex from an authorised dealer for 22% off MSRP.

Argue all you want but you always have to ask for and bargain hard to get to a number that you want...

So, to stay on topic, this car is way overpriced. I'd hear you with a number that is 28-30% off MSRP. Until then, I can't hear you.
Would you care to answer some questions about your purchase?
1 What dealer sold you the car?
2. Was the car a demo and how many miles were on the odometer when you made your purchase?
3. What was the MSRP and what did you pay?
4. Could you print a copy of the MSRP for us to view?
5. Does the car, to the best of your knowledge, have a history, e.g., damaged in transit?
Old 02-11-2018, 03:57 PM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I'm sorry, wut? Dealers have 40% profit on new cars?!
I believe 30-40% Gross profit. After that dealer needs to pay income tax, salaries, operation cost etc. Therefore contribution profit ends up to 15-20% depends how lean or fat the dealer organization is.

But as I said it's not my business. I respect every business model taking into account the offer and demand.

Quick Reply: Why hasn't this sold? - GTS