Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts about having PPF installed at dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018 | 08:56 AM
R_Rated
Banned

If you're more comfortable with your guy then don't let the dealer do it.

Options:
1. Transport
2. Xpel Track wrap - temporary and great protection
3. Blue Tape Mafia

Don't second guess this. Have it done by someone you know and trust.
Old 02-09-2018 | 09:25 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gellie
Having new 911 delivered to NJ. Out of state dealer can install XPEL at their shop. Of course the price is roughly $500 more that I could have it installed locally. Given how bad the roads Call in New Jersey, I’m concerned about chips etc driving it over to my local shop(20 miles away). Plus if I’m not happy with the install and I am SOL. The out of state dealer gave me the Installers name and he gets very good reviews. Not sure what to do.
If your shop is like mine they will give you some scraps to stick on for the ride from the dealer.
Old 02-09-2018 | 10:18 AM
CombatChuk
Rennlist Member

I just got my 991.2 GTS wrapped, cost under 7k just for the wrap. He corrects all of the paint (He as me make sure the dealer doesn't try to wax during PDI) I've been going to the same guy for years (When he was starting off working in his garage). Here's his post on facebook to see the excellent job he's done.
Facebook Post
Old 02-09-2018 | 10:52 AM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Forgive my ignorance, does paint correction needed on a NEW car before PPF?
Old 02-09-2018 | 11:16 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Forgive my ignorance, does paint correction needed on a NEW car before PPF?
paint correction isn’t ALWAYS necessary, just as NEW cars cannot be assumed to be flawless. It’s true that most new 911s have lots of factory buffing marks on bumpers and other areas, but we’ve seen a few here and there that didn’t require paint correction.

depending on severity of paint correction needed, sanding marks, water spots, buffer polishing haze, incorrect washing induced scratches, etc., you may need a simple polishing or a full paint correction requiring compounding and polishing.

only a true professional retailer can asses and diagnose the situation. So, while one vehicle may require a minor polishing that’s a few hundred $$$s, another vehicle may require several $$$$s of dollars to correct properly.

And also, everyone’s level of “perfection” is different. To some, having the mirrors in several pieces, seams around mirrors and door handles, cutouts around rear bumper letters, not wrapping headlights, etc. is a deal breaker. They simply want the material not visible as much as possible. That requires skill and know-how, and you will definitely pay a premium for that.

customer service and future needs are also something to consider. We are a full-service shop and take care of a lot more than just clear bra, nano coatings, tint...we are advisors in helping clients choose options on their cars, we are the drop off point for busy client that got into an accident and wants someone he/she can trust handle the entire repair process, simply put, the initial service is the beginning of the journey. That’s tremendous value and there’s a cost associated with that level of service.

so, if you’re just after the item, then many are available to choose from. If you’re looking to enhance the ownership experience and truly enjoy the vehicle, invest in the right company that is connected in the industry and provides value-add.

no cookie-cutter price tag gents.
Old 02-09-2018 | 11:20 AM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MoeMistry

paint correction isn’t ALWAYS necessary, just as NEW cars cannot be assumed to be flawless. It’s true that most new 911s have lots of factory buffing marks on bumpers and other areas, but we’ve seen a few here and there that didn’t require paint correction.

depending on severity of paint correction needed, sanding marks, water spots, buffer polishing haze, incorrect washing induced scratches, etc., you may need a simple polishing or a full paint correction requiring compounding and polishing.

only a true professional retailer can asses and diagnose the situation. So, while one vehicle may require a minor polishing that’s a few hundred $$$s, another vehicle may require several $$$$s of dollars to correct properly.

And also, everyone’s level of “perfection” is different. To some, having the mirrors in several pieces, seams around mirrors and door handles, cutouts around rear bumper letters, not wrapping headlights, etc. is a deal breaker. They simply want the material not visible as much as possible. That requires skill and know-how, and you will definitely pay a premium for that.

customer service and future needs are also something to consider. We are a full-service shop and take care of a lot more than just clear bra, nano coatings, tint...we are advisors in helping clients choose options on their cars, we are the drop off point for busy client that got into an accident and wants someone he/she can trust handle the entire repair process, simply put, the initial service is the beginning of the journey. That’s tremendous value and there’s a cost associated with that level of service.

so, if you’re just after the item, then many are available to choose from. If you’re looking to enhance the ownership experience and truly enjoy the vehicle, invest in the right company that is connected in the industry and provides value-add.

no cookie-cutter price tag gents.
Thanks!
Old 02-10-2018 | 02:08 PM
DarkSideEwok
Instructor

contact Lee Berbs or Phil at Detailers Domain.
Old 02-10-2018 | 02:13 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LexVan
It's 20 miles. You'll be saving $25 per mile. Drive it over to a better shop, save money, and get a higher quality job done.
This. Also paint correction is key. Get it to the RIGHT ppf shop and you'll be glad you did.
Old 02-11-2018 | 09:11 PM
JPMD
Rennlist Member

Special thanks to Porsche West Broward and in particular my salesperson Alex who has gone above and beyond. Arrangements were made to have Autosupershield of Boca Raton come to the dealership to apply protective film. Alex moved the car in the morning to a "quiet" spot for the guys to work. Autosupershield as always did a great job. They are the best in my area.
BTW my car is the Porsche not the Ferrari LOL

Old 08-28-2018 | 03:13 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Going to ride along this thread,

looking for installer recommendation in new jersey for paint correction, ppf and ceramic coating on top?

thanks in advance
Old 08-28-2018 | 03:55 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Really happy with the work that my guy did on my full PPF. I'm in the DC/Northern Virginia/Maryland area, though...
Old 08-28-2018 | 07:14 PM
vodkag
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway
Are you crazy? Nobody considers PPF w/o spending $10K to correct the paint, PPF, and some nano/ceramic coating on the PPF on a $150K car. You certainly can't expect a decent paint job at that car price point.

Spending $10k on paint correct and PPF?? seriously?

I am sure we all love our cars...but spending $10k is a bit over the top dont you think?

I do have full front PPF and no i did not pay someone to do a 'paint correction" before that. But i did clay bar and 2 coat of wax before doing the PPF.....I mean the paint will age no matter what....everything does.....Personally i think even spending $3-4k on wrapping the entire car with PPF is excessive.......i guess i am just a cheap a$$ LOL

Old 08-28-2018 | 07:24 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vodkag

I am sure we all love our cars...but spending $10k is a bit over the top dont you think?

I do have full front PPF and no i did not pay someone to do a 'paint correction" before that. But i did clay bar and 2 coat of wax before doing the PPF.....I mean the paint will age no matter what....everything does.....Personally i think even spending $3-4k on wrapping the entire car with PPF is excessive.......i guess i am just a cheap a$$ LOL
Hope putting wax on first didn't hurt anything.
Old 08-28-2018 | 08:41 PM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Having new 911 delivered to NJ. Out of state dealer can install XPEL at their shop. Of course the price is roughly $500 more that I could have it installed locally. Given how bad the roads Call in New Jersey, I’m concerned about chips etc driving it over to my local shop(20 miles away). Plus if I’m not happy with the install and I am SOL. The out of state dealer gave me the Installers name and he gets very good reviews. Not sure what to do.
Get up very early and take it over before traffic hits. I did that with my Cayman.
Old 08-28-2018 | 08:54 PM
Gh0st0
Racer

Originally Posted by vodkag

4-5k is more reasonable with paint correction on a 911, anything more you should question it.

Quick Reply: Thoughts about having PPF installed at dealer?