Sponsored by:

DIY: PCM3.1 XG-CAM Backup camera utilizing a wireless transmitter

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 04:13 PM
takashi444
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY: PCM3.1 XG-CAM Backup camera utilizing a wireless transmitter

I was wondering what you guys think about using a wireless transmitter to install with a NAVTV PCM3.1 XG-CAM back camera? I seen threads about installing aftermarket backup cameras, but not one with a wireless transmitter. This will alleviate the need to run wires from the PCM to the back of the car, but i'm worried about the stability of the picture due to interference since it is wireless. The transmitter I was looking at is below:

Amazon Amazon

Thanks All!
Old 02-05-2018, 06:21 PM
Class5Kayaker
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 99 Posts

I personally don't consider running the wire from the back of the car to the front the hard part of this DIY (I am getting ready to pull the trigger on this mod myself). It's pulling the PCM out, integrating the piggy back harness, etc. that has me most worried and with a wireless transmitter you'd still need to deal with that. Also, what about power for the camera and transmitter? Batteries you have to change out periodically?
Old 02-05-2018, 09:09 PM
takashi444
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Class5Kayaker
I personally don't consider running the wire from the back of the car to the front the hard part of this DIY (I am getting ready to pull the trigger on this mod myself). It's pulling the PCM out, integrating the piggy back harness, etc. that has me most worried and with a wireless transmitter you'd still need to deal with that. Also, what about power for the camera and transmitter? Batteries you have to change out periodically?
I was going to draw power from the backup lights like some people have done, but with different types of vehicles. I was thinking the hardest part was removing carpet or lining to draw the wires through from the PCM to the tail lights then to the license plate bumper area.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:55 PM
Class5Kayaker
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by takashi444
I was going to draw power from the backup lights like some people have done, but with different types of vehicles. I was thinking the hardest part was removing carpet or lining to draw the wires through from the PCM to the tail lights then to the license plate bumper area.
I'm assuming you've come across Plenum's DIY, but just in case you haven't:

http://plenums.blogspot.com/2014/12/...rear-view.html

Seems like other than the rear corner of the car, running the cable to the front is pretty easy. The exterior parts (tail lights and bumper) is standard stuff we have to do just to change the engine air filters, so that part is easy.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:23 AM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

can't speak for that particular setup, but I have a wireless camera on the back of my 22' enclosed racecar trailer and it sends the signal to the dash of my cayenne flawlessly.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:49 AM
takashi444
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Class5Kayaker
I'm assuming you've come across Plenum's DIY, but just in case you haven't:

http://plenums.blogspot.com/2014/12/...rear-view.html

Seems like other than the rear corner of the car, running the cable to the front is pretty easy. The exterior parts (tail lights and bumper) is standard stuff we have to do just to change the engine air filters, so that part is easy.
Yeah I read his DIY instructions and about to pull the trigger on the NAV TV as well. I just stumbled upon a different backup camera system for 991 from Maxspeed Motorsports, its about half the price of NAV TV. The only thing is that you need to take it to a shop with a Porsche PIWIS scanner to enable the backup camera and doesn't seem like anyone have installed it on their Porsche, I wonder if it is any good? I know I got bit off topic.

https://www.maxspeed-motorsports.com...ERSION__2.html

Quick Reply: DIY: PCM3.1 XG-CAM Backup camera utilizing a wireless transmitter