Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   Did your 991 come from the factory with rattles? (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1044236-did-your-991-come-from-the-factory-with-rattles.html)

.2PDK 01-21-2018 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by 96redLT4 (Post 14745994)
"If you own a Celebrity or a Century made in 1985 in Oklahoma City, that car is (bleeped) up if I had anything to do with it," Bosworth told the magazine.

He said each bolt carried a note that said: "Aha! You found me!"

Bosworth told the magazine: "I love the thought of people going absolutely crazy, saying, 'Where is that . . . rattle coming from?' "

Jim

If true it brings to mind the movie "A Time to Kill"...

Keadog 01-21-2018 07:11 PM

2017 Targa 4S. Fortunately (or not) I’m pretty deaf, so I don’t hear anything untoward.
However, my wife has perfect hearing and never complained on our 1000+ mile round trip to Treffen Asheville, so I guess our car doesn’t have any significant squeaks/rattles.
Maybe they were extra careful considering the 10 month wait for PTS/LTS? Sure.
:D

NVRANUF 01-21-2018 07:47 PM

My 2017 Turbo S Cab had a random dash squeak on the passenger side. Press on the dash and it went away. It wasn't a big deal, as I never brought it to my dealer's attention.

stout 01-21-2018 07:49 PM

Sample size is still too small, but a poll started a few hours ago already has 26 cars and a ratio of 60/40. Will be interesting to see how the numbers evolve. Also great to hear some of the solutions already!

The windstop is a classic example: Just because you hear it there doesn't mean that's where it is. The late Bruce Anderson once wrote about a 996 Cabriolet with a wind whistle at the top of the windshield that they couldn't find no matter what they did. New seals, new windshield, etc. In this case, the noise was where it sounded like it was, but the cause was a little further away. The owner didn't like the way the leading edge of the hood was a little bit below the top of the front bumper—so he had the hood raised a little bit...which created the whistle.

Homeles 01-21-2018 07:51 PM

None

n8kruger 01-21-2018 07:58 PM

2013 c2 with the gas tank pad squeak at 12k. Dealer replaced some bolts with initial success but recurring sqeeks 5k mi later. 7 hrs of labor later they replaced the pads and cured it--I hope. Paid for the CPO....

asia 01-21-2018 08:14 PM

My low option 991.2 C2 MT - no rattles, no squeaks.

I do have one sonic complaint however, some buffeting with both windows down at speed. I solved this problem by installing small spoilers at the lower front corner of both windows.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...e26befe589.jpg

K-A 01-21-2018 08:39 PM

2012.5, 19.4K Miles, 20’s, H&R lowering springs, been with a couple of owners before me, PASM, not a rattle or audible squeak on it (X Pipe maybe helps with that). I’m sure if I turn the radio off and coast I’ll be able to hear some groans or what not, but that goes for any car really.

When I had M-B sedans, they’d turn into rattle traps. This 911, very nicely surprisingly rattle free.

Tom M'Guinn 01-21-2018 10:25 PM

The rear side panels make a squeaky-rattle noise when going over rough bumps in my 2018 Turbo S. Both sides do it, and I can press on the panels to create the noise, so it shouldn't be much of a goose chase for the dealer. I wedged some paper in the passenger side and it all but eliminated the noise from that side. Curiously, finding the source of the noise made me feel way better about them. Once I get through my 2k mile break-in, I'll probably take it in for an oil change and have them fix it then. There were also some very minor buzzing/vibration sounds in the door panel and somewhere on the passenger seat, but both seem to be all but gone after 750 miles.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...ccc2cd319e.jpg

CSK 911 C4S 01-21-2018 10:26 PM

My doors are the worst.

When I have the stereo on I have to have my left arm resting on top the door to keep it from driving me nuts.

I bought some sound deadening material but just haven't installed yet.

R_Rated 01-22-2018 09:35 AM

2012.5 Cab - ZERO rattles.

caritch 01-22-2018 10:49 AM

2017 4 GTS. Getting an occasional metallic click click noise coming from the engine compartment. Started a few months ago and happened more often now. Does not happen at idle and is not from hitting bumps. My wife can hear it too - so I know it's real. :).

Gonzalo38 01-22-2018 10:56 AM

My first 991.2 Coupe soon after delivery developed a metallic rattle noise that came from the rear seatbelt area. When taken to the dealer, they replaced at least one of the seatbelts and noise was gone. Some other small noises but nothing that will drive you crazy. I suspect that a lot of the small noises in my car were also amplified by the fact that I was using Pirelli P-Zero's that compared to the Michelin are hard and noisy.

It also develop a very strange noise that the dealer was never able to identify (and I didn't worried more about it since I trade the car with them).

In my current 991.2 Cabrio, no strange noises but I did have a faulty AC Compressor that had to be changed the same day that I took delivery of my car.

caritch 01-22-2018 11:18 AM

Thanks. I am going to check the seatbelts too. The sound does have "spring and creak"like quality too it. I am going to record too if I can't figure it out.

JAhmed 03-19-2018 10:26 PM

2018 C2 with 550 miles on it. Took delivery 2 days ago. Squeak noted from driver-side rear panel. Only seems to show up on big bumps. Otherwise seems pretty solid.