Sponsored by:

If you had 'designed' the Carrera T...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 11:35 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 332 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by k997
Alright, locked and loaded on my end as well as of yesterday. I'm super excited - here's my final build:
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJCSRVT3

I finally opted for the full leather experience. I couldn't help but notice how nice all the press cars looked and it really does complete the look [of the $100k] interior.

Can't wait! Late April, here we come.
Very nice - basically the twin of mine except for the wheels and full leather. It's gonna be a great spring!
Old 01-26-2018, 06:39 PM
racemor
Racer

Received 155 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
The wheels above only, with rears for the narrow body, unpainted crests (1980s style), and all-silver spokes (body color spokes as an extra cost item).
Funny that you say that about body color, Pete. My neighbor just got his base Carrera and the first thing he did was have his Carrera Sport wheels painted white to match the car. I think he was going to the old 80's G Body car look. He's happy with it, but all I see is a LOT of white when it's in motion.

A lot of the "what ifs" people have posted here would make for a great car. But can you imagine what the sticker price would have been if the car had unique bodywork and trick suspensions and transmissions? Yes, it would be awesome and more fitting of the marketing pitch, but people would have thrown a fit when they saw the $$$ for a car with a base motor. My guess is that they had to stay with as much off-the-shelf engineering as possible to make it sellable and let all the hot parts stay on the GT3 Touring.

The one design thing I would have done is change the name. To me it is more Club Sport or RSA than early 911T.
SaveSave

Last edited by racemor; 01-26-2018 at 07:04 PM. Reason: spellin'
Old 01-26-2018, 06:46 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,332 Likes on 491 Posts

They wanted to call it the Clubsport, but I believe BMW have bought the rights to that name.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:46 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,324 Likes on 616 Posts

Originally Posted by racemor
Funny that you say that about body color, Pete. My neighbor just got his base Carrera and the first thing he did was have his Carrera Sport wheels painted white to match the car. I think he was going to the old 80's G Body car look. He's happy with it, but all I see is a LOT of white when it's in motion.

A lot of the "what ifs" people have posted here would make for a great car. But can you imagine what the sticker price would have been if the car had unique bodywork and trick suspensions and transmissions? Yes, it would be awesome and more fitting of the marketing pitch, but people would have thrown a fit when they saw the $$$ for a car with a base motor. My guess is that they had to stay with as much off-the-shelf engineering as possible to make it sellable and let all the hot parts stay on the GT3 Touring.

The one deign thing I would have done is change the name. To me it is more Club Sport or RSA than early 911T.
SaveSave
^ Agree.

There just isn't a lot of weight to trim out of the Carrera 2. I want to see it as much as anyone, but people who think it's easy are delusional. For its functionality and safety, the 991.2 Carrera is very light. The lengths the Motorsport team goes to—shaving carpets, LW windows, new PU-RIM for the bumpers to save a pound, etc.—means trimming fat out of the Carrera won't be easy. There's already a lot of aluminum in the body, and how much can be deleted while still attracting, you know, customers. A/C delete? Radio delete? etc? Yes, but those deletes are rarely ordered, even on GT4s and GT3s. Are there still some ways to shed pounds? Yep, but not without pricing the car outside of a business case. The T is probably as far as they could (or would go) under S and GTS pricing.

Might've been neat if the T had been called the Carrera Sport, with a "CS" sticker here and there. And yes, BMW apparently managed to secure rights to the "Club Sport" name for road cars while Porsche wasn't looking (post 968 Club Sport). But I am not sure the T qualifies for the Club Sport or RS America badge anyway? The weight savings are minimal, and the T is really about the addition of interesting, sporting options in the 370-hp Carrera.
Old 01-27-2018, 04:19 PM
6sigma
Rennlist Member

Received 491 Likes on 199 Posts

This might seem like a dumb question, but with the LWB seats and rear seat delete, is there a parcel shelf in place of the rear seats? That is, is the space usable for a bag or storage and if so, how can it be accessed with the non-folding US LWBs? I really like the LWBs but also the practicality of some storage space in the back seat area.
Old 01-27-2018, 04:22 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,332 Likes on 491 Posts

There would definitely be plenty of storage space. Probably best for 'soft' luggage that can be passed through to the back between the two front seats, if you have seats that don't fold.
Old 01-27-2018, 04:36 PM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Just get pccb and a set of carbon wheels , that's about 20k I bet

Quick Reply: If you had 'designed' the Carrera T...