Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Did you break-in your car per the manual?
Yes
60.16%
No
39.84%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

US Car break-in poll...

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 06:43 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Or bully?
Not that.

Just trying to keep it "real" for all the many new 991 owners who visit this site and join up every day. They are not privy to all your prior escapades, and need to help them have some perspective.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:46 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

For what it's worth, I followed the book and am happy I did. If my motor has a short life, at least I won't have to wonder what might have been. From a pure logic perspective, the arguments against breaking it in are just not compelling in my view. For every "guy at Porsche" who said not to break it in, there's another "guy at Porsche" who says you should break it in. At my dealership, for example, my salesman said not to worry about it, but the lead tech in the service department said "it's absolutely worth it in the long-run." I don't see any logical reason to believe one over the other, nor (with all respect) to believe anyone in those positions over the official company advice. It also seems that Porsche (and most car manufactures in general) include some form of break-in advice in most if not all countries, and is just more prescriptive in some markets than others. The fact that the recommendation varies from country-to-country, doesn't support the conclusion that no break-in at all is needed. In fact, it would seem to support the conclusion that "some" break-in is good, with the specifics up for debate. Drug laws vary country-by-country and don't exist in a few, but that hardly supports the conclusion that we should have no drug laws at all. The fact that the car does not have a break-in rev limit or rev-limits during shipping (if that's true?) doesn't support the conclusion at all in my view. Car makers need to strike a balance between protecting the car and letting the owner use it as he/she sees fit. That Porsche drew the line where it did does nothing to undermine its recommendations in my view. The motor does not go into limp mode or shut down when overdue for oil, for example, but that doesn't mean oil changes are a bogus conspiracy conjured up by lawyers.

My own sense, having built a few motors myself, is that "most" of the break-in probably happens long before 2000 miles, but without actual data (oil analysis and disassembly inspections, etc.), I'm just guessing like everyone else here.

Last edited by Tom M'Guinn; 03-13-2018 at 11:05 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:39 PM
Nm2far
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Advice I got was follow the manual, but if you occasionally tick a little over 4K not too worry. Service advisor said about 50% of new car owners do an after break-in oil change between 2-5K. I liken the break-in to that of high performance motorcycle engines which have hi compression , higher horsepower, and tighter tolerances than most car engines. There it’s common to see something like keep below 4K until, 600, below 6K to a 1000, vary the RPM’s, no droning at steady RPM’s and after specified milage do occasional runs up to read line. Perhaps the diffence in the other country reccomendations could be fact there is likely to be more steady RPM driving given the nature of US roads/commutes vs Europe? Just speculating, but German engineering is probably the worlds best, and if they recommend it it’s for a reason. It does beg the question of how the dealer orders that get demo’d get driven. Guessing there is a lot of over engineering conservatism built into the break-in reccomendations to account for that.......��
Old 03-14-2018, 08:12 AM
Nm2far
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Thread drift but related for the OCD **** retentive - how many miles did your new car have at delivery? Mine had 15 on the clock and I know it came off the truck at closing one evening and I was at the dealers the next morning and it was not prepped yet when I showed up so it wasn’t them. Is the various transport mileage between the factory, Emden, and on and off ships and trucks? What have you all seen on your deliveries? I guess we have to take it on faith they are not getting thrashed beyond break-in reccomendations during those miles.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:48 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,015 Posts

Originally Posted by Nm2far
Thread drift but related for the OCD **** retentive - how many miles did your new car have at delivery? Mine had 15 on the clock and I know it came off the truck at closing one evening and I was at the dealers the next morning and it was not prepped yet when I showed up so it wasn’t them. Is the various transport mileage between the factory, Emden, and on and off ships and trucks? What have you all seen on your deliveries? I guess we have to take it on faith they are not getting thrashed beyond break-in reccomendations during those miles.
That is a normal amount. Some more, some less. There have been many threads on this topic alone. https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8127...-car-have.html
Old 03-14-2018, 11:54 AM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackBeauty
This is true as Chuck has relayed his outstanding 20 foot detailing skills for his previously enjoyed G series.

I'm on my 4th 991 series - and yes I've been to the factory too. What do you think they're going to say to you as you're off on an EU adventure? Go slow? What recourse do you have with them?

In addition to following the factory guidance - I've spoken with 3 different head techs. Their guidance is always the same. If you plan on keeping it , follow the manual, if you're going to get rid of it, drive it the way you want.

You're talking about micro-finished machining - the parts need to wear in. If theoretically no wear is occurring then the metal parts of an engine would last forever and never need refinishing.

Chuck I'm surprised you haven't quoted your lawn mower break-in article again?

And candidly, why are you on this forum- after 1,000 bloviating posts you "test" drove a 991 and said it wasn't for you. So you don't own a 991, and don't like it enough to get one - why post here?
I was originally not likely to follow the manual literally on my month old GTS. Not drive it like I stole from the start, but just start extending the RPM range well before 2000 miles. But that all changed when I got rear-ended after just 3 weeks of ownership. I figure with that inevitable carfax, my car was turned into a leper in the blink of an eye, and I'll never to able to sell it now. I suspect I'll probably be taking this car to my grave, so I better take the long view on break-in and do it by the manual to the letter.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:21 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 72 Posts

I'm really sorry to hear that and hope you're alright. You raise a very, very good point, that every day is gift - good luck in your travels!
Old 03-14-2018, 04:37 PM
Zcobra1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never broke in a P car, most recent was my 17 Gt350. All I can add is that mild street driving, not stuck in traffic of course, and lots of rpms up and down
decelarations in first miles, lots of gear shifting, heating everything up, etc. is best in my opinion. I waited until 100 miles til hitting 8200 rpm in the GT350,
lots of long decelarations, no highway first 150 miles, no oil usage so far....
Highway driving in the first critical 150 or so miles, to me, is the worst way to be break a engine in. I know people say just shift up and down every minute or so, and many do it that way, but nothing beats some clear side street driving to start the engine life off....good for the brakes too, get that 100-150 street miles on those, then find that long back road and bed those puppies.

Quick Reply: US Car break-in poll...