Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forgeline VX1R's on my 991.2 GTS w/PCCB's

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 12:12 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,276 Likes on 596 Posts

Got it. Wondering if you can share the ID of the factory wheels as well as the ID of the Forgeline wheels? Might be helpful as others look at various wheels out there to gain a bit more clearance. I've looked at designs from BBS, Forgeline, HRE, and Vossen Forged. I wondered about Vossen and whether it was a performance wheel or an aesthetic wheel, but the fact Champion is partnering with Vossen is a positive sign, in my view. Champion's forged magnesium 997 wheels were among the best wheels for a 997 GT3 at any price.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:12 AM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Awesome choice with those Forgeline....great racing heritage and solid beautiful wheels from Forgeline
Thank you! Steve at Forgeline was just great to work with and when I received the wheels today I was amazed by the workmanship and the finish.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:19 AM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stout
Got it. Wondering if you can share the ID of the factory wheels as well as the ID of the Forgeline wheels? Might be helpful as others look at various wheels out there to gain a bit more clearance. I've looked at designs from BBS, Forgeline, HRE, and Vossen Forged. I wondered about Vossen and whether it was a performance wheel or an aesthetic wheel, but the fact Champion is partnering with Vossen is a positive sign, in my view. Champion's forged magnesium 997 wheels were among the best wheels for a 997 GT3 at any price.
The factory wheels are a shade under 19” and the Forgeline are 19 1/2”. However I measured more clearance than what Forgeline said I would get, so not sure if they are slightly larger in diameter than 19.5. Also, the kind lady at UPS this morning let me use her scale to weigh the wheels when I picked them up. The fronts are 21.05#, and the rears are 22.85#. These wheels are Foreline’s racing wheels, and they look really stout. For 20” racing wheels I’d say the weights are great. I’m going to weigh the factory wheels for comparison after I pick them up from the dealer.

Old 01-20-2018, 12:22 AM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Off the jack stands, and cleaned up after tire mounting.

Old 01-20-2018, 12:49 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Wooooooow. That looks great—far better to my eyes than the standard GTS wheels or the optional five-lugs. It looks "GT3" without trying to be GT3. Nice upgrade!

If you lower that car, it will be completely out of control good.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:50 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by flickroll
The factory wheels are a shade under 19” and the Forgeline are 19 1/2”. However I measured more clearance than what Forgeline said I would get, so not sure if they are slightly larger in diameter than 19.5. Also, the kind lady at UPS this morning let me use her scale to weigh the wheels when I picked them up. The fronts are 21.05#, and the rears are 22.85#. These wheels are Foreline’s racing wheels, and they look really stout. For 20” racing wheels I’d say the weights are great. I’m going to weigh the factory wheels for comparison after I pick them up from the dealer.

Great info, for sure. Many thanks!!

Yes, forged wheels should be lighter and stronger—benefitting from budget the factory doesn't have for mainline models. It's rare to beat the factory at its own game, but more expensive materials is one of the ways. And when they're used by a good maker...
Old 01-20-2018, 01:16 AM
trips
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 23 Posts

Looks fantastic Flick! Nice upgrade and hopefully eliminates any more issues with the calipers. And I agree with Pete, a touch lower would be nice

Best,
Tom
Old 01-20-2018, 01:18 AM
rodney2
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Off the jack stands, and cleaned up after tire mounting.
Turned out really nice. And a shout out to Foregline for such a precise and prompt fitment. Now you can get back to enjoying your new ride.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:21 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by trips
Looks fantastic Flick! Nice upgrade and hopefully eliminates any more issues with the calipers. And I agree with Pete, a touch lower would be nice

Best,
Tom
Just realized it could be sitting high from being on jacks?
Old 01-20-2018, 01:31 AM
Boulder Mike
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

It looks to me FAL is activated in last pic but not first. If so manual says not to a park it that way.

Flickroll- wheels look totally awesome; an improvement... and I’m typically a stock look is better guy.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:32 AM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Those wheels look hot, congratulations!
Old 01-20-2018, 10:45 AM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all of the great comments guys! Regarding the height, I bet it is because the shocks are not compressed as stout noted. FAL is not activated. One thing I forgot to mention , the rear wheel offset is 6mm more aggressive than stock, front is 5mm more aggressive.

Now for some fun, I'm about to head out for a quick ride. As mentioned, the car has not been driven since before Christmas.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:26 PM
WheelsB
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 949 Likes on 479 Posts

I'm surprised that they weight that much. I always thought that they were more comparable to the HRE R101 LW's at 16 lbs and 19 lbs respectively.

Nonetheless, they give you that HRE look and more importantly that extra clearance needed for those calipers.

Wheels Boutique // 786 249 0127 // Sales@wheelsboutique.com
Follow us on YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique
Largest Dealer In The World for HRE Wheels, ANRKY Wheels, Vorsteiner Wheels & Aero, Akrapovic Exhaust, & iPE Exhaust
BBS, Forgeline, & TechArt Premium Dealer
Brembo / Rotiform / KW / H&R / Novitec / Brabus / Mansory and tons more...
Old 01-23-2018, 08:19 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WheelsB
I'm surprised that they weight that much. I always thought that they were more comparable to the HRE R101 LW's at 16 lbs and 19 lbs respectively.

Nonetheless, they give you that HRE look and more importantly that extra clearance needed for those calipers.
Are we comparing apples to apples? Maybe so. Forgeline VX1's are not intended for racing for example, but the VX1R's are. These wheels are hell for stout and meant for racing. I don't intend to do that but the bottom line is they are strong enough to withstand any punishment that I throw their way.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:21 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Quick update. I have driven the car 150 miles since the new wheels were installed. Forgelines offered the most clearance of any vendor that I worked with, and as of now I am not worried about rock chips any longer. So far so good, and no hint of rock dings anywhere. In a week or two I'll have 500 miles on the new wheels and that I think will provide great data.

Quick Reply: Forgeline VX1R's on my 991.2 GTS w/PCCB's