Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Get rid of PSE...and get the "axe murderer" instead?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 12:50 AM
OC 991
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Get rid of PSE...and get the "axe murderer" instead?

I've love the stock PSE on my 991 C4S!
It sounds like a wonderfull orchestral arrangement linked directly to my cortex!
It's not just the multi layered crescendos, it also sounds "expensive"... the announcement of something sophisticated, fast and mean

However... I find myself going for drives with other enthusiast whom have Lambo's. Ferrari's, McLaren's etc and the 991 is just too damn quiet in that company... after which I find myself gravitating towards something louder.

A fellow reenlisted was kind enough to let me hear his AWE "in the wild"... and THAT certainly would hold it's own in the above mentioned company!

However, it may be a bit too much like an "axe wielding murdered" coming to kill you, rape your woman, sell your children and eat your pets
Fun... but too much?
Certainly will add a bit of drama... but at the cost of the sophisticate/refined aspect of the PSE?
Anyway, I've decided to give it a shot.

I have an appointment at TAG tomorrow to get the AWE system installed.
So... if I do like the axe wielding killer... the PSE system will be available.
If not, I'll put the PSE back on and hopefully will be able to return the AWE.

Kinda exited to see how it all works out.
Cheers!

Last edited by OC 991; 01-19-2018 at 01:15 AM.
Old 01-19-2018, 01:42 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,879 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Well, good luck to you on that one. I think you're going in the wrong direction and should look at high-flow sport cats. Removing a Porsche Sport Exhaust system to replace it with an X-pipe is kind of going backwards.

Enjoy the drone....
Old 01-19-2018, 02:03 AM
OC 991
Instructor

Originally Posted by drcollie
Well, good luck to you on that one. I think you're going in the wrong direction and should look at high-flow sport cats. Removing a Porsche Sport Exhaust system to replace it with an X-pipe is kind of going backwards.

Enjoy the drone....
No tell me how you really feel.

I totally forgot about the inside , you had an AWE right?
I've tried a multitude of things... non that worked, sigh.
Even some of my own design, had access to fluid dynamic cad programs at one point.
designed the most beautiful multi resonance flows which should have had a self re-enforcing cascade effect.
Instead all the beautiful frequencies canceled each other out and all I had left was drone!

With all the positive feedback on both AWE and TAG I'm hoping it'll give me the sound/volume I'm looking for.
here's hoping you don't get to say "I told you so!"
Fingers crossed.
Old 01-19-2018, 02:27 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Let the car be it’s strength... which I think is as a fun but still subtle versatile daily driver, if you try to turn it into a loud weekend car, you’ll lose the magic.
Old 01-19-2018, 02:42 AM
rampar
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an FC RX7 one time where the hanger for the exhaust was broken and I went over a pothole and it managed to hit the ground and put a hole in the exhaust...now I'm not saying drill a hole in your exhaust, but if you want to increase the sound for a little while, you could always loosen up some bolts and let that noise come racing through!
Old 01-19-2018, 02:53 AM
OC 991
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Let the car be it’s strength... which I think is as a fun but still subtle versatile daily driver, if you try to turn it into a loud weekend car, you’ll lose the magic.
Very philosophical... almost deep (almost )

I actually have the 991 as a "comfy" fun car.
For "the loud-ish weekend car" I've got an 12C but I hardly drive that anymore (electrical issues notwithstanding) that thing is awesome, great sound, little outdated styling still looks GREAT but... you need to do acrobatics to get in ( and especially out), not to mention the head splitting drone every time you go slow.
So, as long as you go fast and never get out... you're good
I know, getting old sucks!

I digress.... I love the 991 because I believe it can be both a semi "subtle versatile daily driver" and "a loud weekend car".
All the custom work has been geared towards that... now I just need the right exhaust!
Old 01-19-2018, 03:03 AM
OC 991
Instructor

Originally Posted by rampar
I had an FC RX7 one time where the hanger for the exhaust was broken and I went over a pothole and it managed to hit the ground and put a hole in the exhaust...now I'm not saying drill a hole in your exhaust, but if you want to increase the sound for a little while, you could always loosen up some bolts and let that noise come racing through!
Hihihihihi you're killing me!
That's a little too "Fred Flinstone" for me but, I get what you're saying.

I've had lots of different exhaust systems on different cars...
If I have to take another rubber mallet to all the clamps and fitting to find the rattles, farts and other mystery sound I'm going to scream!
So the thought of drilling some holes in the OEM PSE to get some more from it certainly would omit the aforementioned rubber mallet.
I have tried a more soficticated version of the hole drilling by doing actual mods to stock systems but non have worked out.

It certainly will be an option if the AWE doesn't work out... I'm persistent if nothing else!
Old 01-19-2018, 04:33 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Go for it! Louder the better. These N/A flat sixes are a mechanical symphony. PSE sounds amazing and very well balanced, but I can understand the lust to hear even more of said motor.

I have a Sharkwerks X Pipe on my C2. At lower speeds it’s civil, while at higher RPM’s it sounds brutal and raspy in the best way possible. It could certainly be even louder and I’d like it even more, but the sounds it makes at 3,500+ is addicting. Probably my favorite part of the car. There’s a crass rawness to it that I think PSE doesn’t have. It can startle people at downshift. I would also imagine it’s louder than PSE at upper RPM’s (I have to drive a PSE .1 C2 to be sure). Though not sure which is louder at lower RPM’s.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:44 AM
OC 991
Instructor

Originally Posted by K-A
Go for it! Louder the better. These N/A flat sixes are a mechanical symphony. PSE sounds amazing and very well balanced, but I can understand the lust to hear even more of said motor.

I have a Sharkwerks X Pipe on my C2. At lower speeds it’s civil, while at higher RPM’s it sounds brutal and raspy in the best way possible. It could certainly be even louder and I’d like it even more, but the sounds it makes at 3,500+ is addicting. Probably my favorite part of the car. There’s a crass rawness to it that I think PSE doesn’t have. It can startle people at downshift. I would also imagine it’s louder than PSE at upper RPM’s (I have to drive a PSE .1 C2 to be sure). Though not sure which is louder at lower RPM’s.

Oh good, that's just what I needed to hear.
Was starting to doubt myself a bit...
Reminds me I bought this 991.1 over a 991.2 purely because it's n/a.
Might as well go all out and scream it all the way up the rev-band.
Can always reduce the pipe diameter of the inner exhaust (after the valve) to get a more high pitched sound.
For now, I'm looking forward to try out the axe murderer
Old 01-19-2018, 04:53 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by OC 991
Oh good, that's just what I needed to hear.
Was starting to doubt myself a bit...
Reminds me I bought this 991.1 over a 991.2 purely because it's n/a.
Might as well go all out and scream it all the way up the rev-band.
Can always reduce the pipe diameter of the inner exhaust (after the valve) to get a more high pitched sound.
For now, I'm looking forward to try out the axe I murderer
EXACTLY! The sound is why I wanted the N/A .1 more than the .2 so much as well. I can’t get enough of hearing it. I’d like it even louder, but I am happy with the balance. But considering sound is the chief gold mine here, make sure you get the most out of it via a volume level that properly satisfies you.

“Ax murderer” is the PERFECT description for how these things can sound when uncorked. When I pass a car and there’s a wall or another car on the other side (for sound bouncing off purposes) with aggressive throttle, the car sounds absolutely brutal, like it wants to chainsaw slay whatever’s next to it. I love how uncivil it is when need be.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:02 AM
OC 991
Instructor

Originally Posted by K-A

EXACTLY! The sound is why I wanted the N/A .1 more than the .2 so much as well. I can’t get enough of hearing it. I’d like it even louder, but I am happy with the balance. But considering sound is the chief gold mine here, make sure you get the most out of it via a volume level that properly satisfies you.

“Ax murderer” is the PERFECT description for how these things can sound when uncorked. When I pass a car and there’s a wall or another car on the other side (for sound bouncing off purposes) with aggressive throttle, the car sounds absolutely brutal, like it wants to chainsaw slay whatever’s next to it. I love how uncivil it is when need be.

LOL axe murderer... chainsaw slayer... not the kind of thing one would associate with a 911
Boys will be boys!

It's not just the sound but also the power delivery and high revving, free flowing nature of the cars character that has me hooked on the 991.1
Plus, with the valves closed it's very, very civilized... until you open the valves and the axe murderer comes out to play
I'll post back when the exhaust has been installed.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:51 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by OC 991
LOL axe murderer... chainsaw slayer... not the kind of thing one would associate with a 911
Boys will be boys!

It's not just the sound but also the power delivery and high revving, free flowing nature of the cars character that has me hooked on the 991.1
Plus, with the valves closed it's very, very civilized... until you open the valves and the axe murderer comes out to play
I'll post back when the exhaust has been installed.
Agreed. After multiple turbo cars, I love this powerband that wants and inspires you to rev. So rewarding, especially on backroad drives. It makes driving it a sport, thus furthering connection to the car as it really feels like I’m in tune with it. These atmospheric engines really allow you to hear and feel its soul when driving spiritedly. The throttle response is like a breath of fresh air. Insanely crisp and precise.. it’s like you and the car are on the same channel. A big difference from the turbo cars I’ve driven and had. Then when driven normally, could pass as a luxury sedan in comfort. Can you tell I love my .1?
Old 01-19-2018, 06:56 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

I had a 991.1 4S prior to my current car. I chose to go with the Kline Iconel Exhaust. It is wonderful sounding and more like what you are looking for in the other exotics. It’s more expensive but you get what you pay for in build quality and sound.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:59 AM
sessionstu
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Lambos and Ferraris aren't "loud" per se. They're exotic cars. They sound exotic. Distinctive. To try to emulate the sound of an Italian exotic car by throwing on an aftermarket exhaust system (in my opinion anyways) is sacrilegious. It will end up sounding like my neighbors Hyundai Veloster. God I hate that car. Wakes me up every morning.

Besides, the sound you hear inside the vehicle is nothing like what it sounds like outside. PSE sounds great when you hear the car pass by at speed.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:09 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie

Enjoy the drone....
Sport Cats will open up the sound quite a bit. I went aftermarket with no more drone than factory.... Have some catless headers on for now and they completely eliminated it.

Originally Posted by Dewinator
With iPE at least, the car is very civil and barely indistinguishable from stock with the valve closed - open it up and all hell breaks loose!

Originally Posted by sessionstu
Lambos and Ferraris aren't "loud" per se. They're exotic cars. They sound exotic. Distinctive. To try to emulate the sound of an Italian exotic car by throwing on an aftermarket exhaust system (in my opinion anyways) is sacrilegious. It will end up sounding like my neighbors Hyundai Veloster. God I hate that car. Wakes me up every morning.

Besides, the sound you hear inside the vehicle is nothing like what it sounds like outside. PSE sounds great when you hear the car pass by at speed.
AWE is a lower register sound. If you've heard it then you'll know if you like it. There are a couple that you might be interested in that are higher pitch that would "fit in" with those exotics if that's what you're going for. IPE is one but there are others.

Quick Reply: Get rid of PSE...and get the "axe murderer" instead?