Can a front disc pad fall off? Any insights? - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Water Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 991
Reload this Page >

Can a front disc pad fall off? Any insights?

Notices
Sponsored by:

Can a front disc pad fall off? Any insights?

Old 01-16-2018, 11:30 PM
cdelrosario
User

Question Can a front disc pad fall off? Any insights?

Hi all,

Need some input & thoughts.

Started my car this after work...noticed a metal on metal sound coming from a wheel. I continued driving & the sound continues...then I hear a part fall off into the street, I couldnít retrieve it. I drove a little further to pull over and the grinding noise is worse. The noise is coming from my right front wheel. I had car towed home.

The caliper and the brake pads look okay. I havenít taken wheel off yet. Can this grinding noise be anything other than the brake pad or a part off the caliper? Any thoughts appreciated. I wonít be able to remove wheel for a day or two. Thanks
Old 01-17-2018, 12:11 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

I put my money on that you picked up a stone between your dust shield and rotor.

It sounds horrible like your wheel is going to fall off metal on metal grind.

If you can use a long screw driver and push the dust shield away from the rotor and I bet a stone falls out.

When this happenes to me I usually pull over and find a safe place to drive in reverse a few feet and it usually pops out.

Report back.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:11 AM
Hurricane
Super User

Stone caught in caliper?
Old 01-17-2018, 12:12 AM
Hurricane
Super User

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S View Post
I put my money on that you picked up a stone between your dust shield and rotor.

If you can use a long screw driver and push the dust shield away from the rotor and I bet a stone falls out.

When this happenes to me I usually pull over and find a safe place to drive in reverse a few feet and it usually pops out.

Report back.
LOL you beat me by a few seconds!
Old 01-17-2018, 12:31 AM
cdelrosario
User

Report back.
thanks...the part that bugs me is that I heard a part fall off onto the street, making the noise even worse. Can that dust shield be the problem? Can that come loose & rub vs rotor? There is definitely something rubbing vs rotor...Iím waiting for my Esco jack stand before lifting car.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:44 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cdelrosario View Post
thanks...the part that bugs me is that I heard a part fall off onto the street, making the noise even worse. Can that dust shield be the problem? Can that come loose & rub vs rotor? There is definitely something rubbing vs rotor...Iím waiting for my Esco jack stand before lifting car.
Stranger things could've happened. But I doubt something fell off your car. But one never knows.

Dust shields for me are a problem. I live on back roads and have a gravel drive way. I get my share of pebbles and stones up in the brakes of my car.

You would swear I'm dragging my engine behind the car when I come screeching to a halt after having a smallest of pebble get stuck.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:52 AM
drcollie
User

1) How many miles on your car?
2) Have the pads ever been changed?
Old 01-17-2018, 01:06 AM
cdelrosario
User

Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
1) How many miles on your car?
2) Have the pads ever been changed?
1) 40k miles
2) Full brake job at 35k

Boy, I would love this to be a rock, debris issue! I will jack car tomorrow! Iím intrigued to say the least!
Old 01-17-2018, 01:46 AM
digits
Addict
Rennlist Member

I captured the sound of a lodged pebble. Really freaked me out.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9910...-911-made.html
Did it sound like this?
Old 01-17-2018, 01:51 AM
cdelrosario
User

Stranger things could've happened. But I doubt something fell off your car. But one never knows.

Dust shields for me are a problem. I live on back roads and have a gravel drive way. I get my share of pebbles and stones up in the brakes of my car.

You would swear I'm dragging my engine behind the car when I come screeching to a halt after having a smallest of pebble get stuck.
OMG CSK! I had to figure this out! I inspected caliper & it was fine. So I took your advice, started her up & put her in reverse....guess what, no noise! Put it in Drive...Back came that grind!! Holy smokes Batman! We are close! Put it back in Reverse drove it & voila!!! Freaking Fixed! Hereís the culprit!

Would have never ever thought this could be the bane of my day! Thanks a million CSK! Lol

Unbelievable
Old 01-17-2018, 01:58 AM
cdelrosario
User

Originally Posted by digits View Post
I captured the sound of a lodged pebble. Really freaked me out.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9910...-911-made.html
Did it sound like this?
haha Digits...THAT WAS THE NOISE!!!! no way that could be a rock!!!....uhhhh, thatís exactly what it was! Wow! I was ****ting bricks when I heard it! Itís like the motor was dragging!

And when I was getting it towed (I stopped in front of a 7/11, the passerbyers looked on with a ďsense of satisfactionĒ 😂

Anyway, I feared the worst & now itís kinda funny. Lesson learned!
Old 01-17-2018, 02:30 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

May all of our car troubles be this easy.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:33 AM
cdelrosario
User

May all of our car troubles be this easy.
Amen to that brother!....I was contemplating having car towed to dealer...wonder what they wouldíve charged????
Old 01-17-2018, 02:36 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cdelrosario View Post
Amen to that brother!....I was contemplating having car towed to dealer...wonder what they would’ve charged????
Your luck the stone would have fallen out on the way over so you would get a receipt saying. "can't duplicate issue - customer crazy"

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can a front disc pad fall off? Any insights?

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: