Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PPF - Pre-cut or Custom Install?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 09:21 PM
Wimankid
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Default PPF - Pre-cut or Custom Install?

Have a new 911 on order and am looking to get PPF (didn't get on my Panamera and regret it). I've read the posts on pros & cons of getting PPF installed, but any feedback on whether to go with an installer who uses pre-cut sections/templates (edges show) versus an installer who customer wraps and cuts?
Old 01-16-2018, 10:11 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

most will charge alot more to wrap with full sheets and you will have razor cutting on every edge of the whole car. Most wont be responsible to do that. The cut pieces are very exact. The point is, you aren't able to see the film anyway so why go beyond reason to have it put on the car
Old 01-16-2018, 11:16 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 401 Posts

Congrats on your new car.

What color did you get?

My C4S is platinum silver with precut and the edges blend in seamlessly to the point folks sometimes don't even know the nose is wrapped.

If I ever buy a dark colored car I might look into having edges wrapped so the edges can't be seen.

I would look at both up close and personal and see which way you like.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:22 PM
Wimankid
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. - color is Carmine red. I’ll check what looks better and cost difference.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:35 PM
Rezus
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Custom cut will allow for a more clean and complete coverage however the installer becomes even more important of a factor to do a clean and harmless job. If in doubt would go with precut which eliminates a lot of necessary skill needed by installer.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:23 AM
Big997Fan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can find an installer you trust, go with the custom install. I got mine done that way and it's great knowing that all the edges are tucked in underneath and they won't become visible over time.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:42 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,781 Likes on 4,774 Posts

I think the question of precut versus custom cut really comes down to how you intend to use your car, and in what condition.

As a daily driver in generally temperate climate (say, Southern CA) then go ahead and spend the extra money on a custom cut PPF so you will not have live with edges and what-not. The extra money is worth it because you're probably not going to replace the PPF for about 5 years.

But, if you're like me, and track your car and have already planned on reapplying the PPF every year or so, it just makes sense to go precut, edges be damned.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:24 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I think the question of precut versus custom cut really comes down to how you intend to use your car, and in what condition.

As a daily driver in generally temperate climate (say, Southern CA) then go ahead and spend the extra money on a custom cut PPF so you will not have live with edges and what-not. The extra money is worth it because you're probably not going to replace the PPF for about 5 years.

But, if you're like me, and track your car and have already planned on reapplying the PPF every year or so, it just makes sense to go precut, edges be damned.
My car is a 2012.5, low mileage, seems probably garaged for over 90% of its time, and I’m imagining the PPF has been on since nearly new.

Is there a “remove by” date on these things? Because the film itself (a little peeling on some lower corners, a couple unnoticeable imperfections where it did its job) seems perfect, so I really don’t want to pay thousands or whatever it costs to remove perfectly good film, just to replace it.

The pre-cut on mine seems great, btw, so I’d recommend that route.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:55 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

Personally it really depends on how **** you are about your car and how much of a perfectionist you are I guess. First time I PPF covered a car I went the pre cut route. Edges are exposed, they catch cleaner or polish, dirt etc... since then have always gone custom. I prefer the edges wrapped and with less exposure to peeling or catching dirt. Cost was not astronomically more but in my opinion the difference in look is.
Your money, your call. Pick the best installer you can find they are more important that the film you choose. Had Xpel Ultimate on 2 cars, went with Suntek Premium for my TTS, I think the clarity is better and the installers like working with it.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:50 AM
SBARacing
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

What is the expected price for a custom bumper to bumper?
and what would it be for precut?
just started to look in to PPF
Old 01-17-2018, 08:10 AM
Gonzalo38
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm looking into PPF but I still don't decide if its worth it to cover the whole car (991.2 Cabrio). Right now, I'm thinking about doing the entire front, hood and mirrors. Is it worth it to install on the sides and rear ?
Old 01-17-2018, 08:58 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Wimankid
Have a new 911 on order and am looking to get PPF (didn't get on my Panamera and regret it). I've read the posts on pros & cons of getting PPF installed, but any feedback on whether to go with an installer who uses pre-cut sections/templates (edges show) versus an installer who customer wraps and cuts?
huh? Mine are from templates and edges do not show.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:50 AM
ShaunP
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 91 Posts

The edges on precut sheets will catch a lot of dirt. My car had the entire front end done in precut sheets when i bought it. After 4K miles it looked like ****. The first thing I did when I got the car home was to remove all of the ppf bc it looked so bad.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:11 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by ShaunP
The edges on precut sheets will catch a lot of dirt. My car had the entire front end done in precut sheets when i bought it. After 4K miles it looked like ****. The first thing I did when I got the car home was to remove all of the ppf bc it looked so bad.
Weird. No issue for me (maybe because my car is a darker blue?).

My cars seemingly pre cut hood wrap DOES wrap around the inner inside of the frunk. The only place I can even make out lines on the hood (didn’t even notice it for months) is at the very top (toward the windshield) it has to stop before the hood ends, to coincide with the shutline. Is this not normal for pre cut hood wraps (wrapping mostly fully around the hood, curling into the frunk)?
Old 01-17-2018, 10:25 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
Congrats on your new car.

What color did you get?

My C4S is platinum silver with precut and the edges blend in seamlessly to the point folks sometimes don't even know the nose is wrapped.

If I ever buy a dark colored car I might look into having edges wrapped so the edges can't be seen.

I would look at both up close and personal and see which way you like.
Plain Red, Black and white show the worst in that order. Anything with metallic flake will do wonders to hide seams and imperfections.

Quick Reply: PPF - Pre-cut or Custom Install?