Sponsored by:

Reasons to buy base Carrera instead of the S

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 11:55 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
To some maybe. I could afford any modern new Porsche but I wanted the Base engine. I really didn't want all that extra HP for the street - a difference that you can barely feel anyway from the Base to the S (at least in the 991.2). The Turbo S is a beast but is miserable to drive on the street - you really can't have any fun with that car unless you are on the autobahn. I did a lot of research into my 911 to make sure I knew what I was getting, I flew down to PEC-ATL to drive the new turbos on the track and listened to them from a bystanders position. If I lived in the mountains or tracked my car, I would want a lot more HP. If I was tracking my car, I probably wouldn't even buy a Porsche. It would have to be a mid-engine car.

I'd pay more for a manual over a pdk. For the street, I would also pay more for LESS hp than an S and pay extra for shorter gears. (I'm a manual guy).

The better brakes of the S are totally irrelevant for the street - we are limited by the grip of our tires not by the size of our calipers or number of pistons. I will caveat this statement assuming you don't drive your car in the mountains or a track. I also didn't want red or yellow calipers to mess up the visual of my black wheels.

I agree that I wanted S options like SPASM that were not available on the Base model. I even approached Porsche exclusive and PAG to try to get SPASM added on a base....but nope was the answer. They want you to step up to the S to get those options.

I think for the first time in Porsche's history, the Base Carrera is the car to get over the S for the 991.2.

Just one man's opinion of course.
I agree, too. And I do live in the mountains and find that with turbos the "sufficient" power still feels good at over 10,000 ft. Likewise the brakes have never faded or felt even slightly challenged.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:05 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,278 Likes on 597 Posts

The only appeal the S held over the standard Carrera for me was better brakes and the possibility to get SPASM. Skipping the S paid for PCCB and 20s with $4k left for other interesting options.

And I just kept remembering how much FUN I had in the base 991.2 on this old rally stage, closed to the public for the day.
https://www.pca.org/news/2015-11-10/...updates-wvideo

That 500-hp GT3 RS would have left the "370-hp" Carrera for dead on a race track, but the high-strung 4.0 had nothing for the twin-turbo 3.0 on a curvy uphill road—and not much on the way back down, either. And yes, the brakes did start smelling—and I am sure they weren't his!

Last edited by stout; 01-17-2018 at 02:14 AM.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:30 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,178 Likes on 434 Posts

To some maybe. I could afford any modern new Porsche but I wanted the Base engine. I really didn't want all that extra HP for the street - a difference that you can barely feel anyway from the Base to the S (at least in the 991.2). The Turbo S is a beast but is miserable to drive on the street - you really can't have any fun with that car unless you are on the autobahn. I did a lot of research into my 911 to make sure I knew what I was getting, I flew down to PEC-ATL to drive the new turbos on the track and listened to them from a bystanders position. If I lived in the mountains or tracked my car, I would want a lot more HP. If I was tracking my car, I probably wouldn't even buy a Porsche. It would have to be a mid-engine car.

I'd pay more for a manual over a pdk. For the street, I would also pay more for LESS hp than an S and pay extra for shorter gears. (I'm a manual guy).

The better brakes of the S are totally irrelevant for the street - we are limited by the grip of our tires not by the size of our calipers or number of pistons. I will caveat this statement assuming you don't drive your car in the mountains or a track. I also didn't want red or yellow calipers to mess up the visual of my black wheels.

I agree that I wanted S options like SPASM that were not available on the Base model. I even approached Porsche exclusive and PAG to try to get SPASM added on a base....but nope was the answer. They want you to step up to the S to get those options.

I think for the first time in Porsche's history, the Base Carrera is the car to get over the S for the 991.2.

Sounds like the new Carrera T was designed with you in mind! Base 991.2 C2 with the nice sporty bits/options.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:48 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Originally Posted by stout
The only appeal the S held over the standard Carrera for me was better brakes and the possibility to get SPASM. Skipping the S paid for PCCB and 20s with $4k left for other interesting options.

And I just kept remembering how much FUN I had in the base 991.2 on this old rally stage, closed to the public for the day.
https://www.pca.org/news/2015-11-10/...updates-wvideo

That 500-hp GT3 RS would have left the "370-hp" Carrera for dead on a race track, but the high-strung 4.0 had nothing for the twin-turbo 3.0 on a curvy uphill road—and not much on the way back down, either. And yes, the brakes did start smelling—and I am sure they weren't his!
Pete, great review of the 991.2 Carrera and Carrera S. Sounds like my T should be a peach with SPASM, PSE, SC, LSD, 20" wheels and the 7-speed manual transmission etc!

Have to say, I do love the Miami Blue!

Love the video! What a driving opportunity! (Reminded me slightly of a blast around the Yorkshire Dales with a dozen 991s!). How hard was the driver of that 991.1 GT3 RS trying...?!
Old 01-17-2018, 02:06 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
A Base 911 with no options gets you 98%. The other 2% is made up in comfort that doesn't really matter and performance that will never get extracted on the street - no matter how great a driver you think you are.
I totally disagree with that. It doesn't take a good driver to put the foot down all the way on a flat, open stretch of road. And it feels really good to do that in a car with a lot of power. A lot better than in a car with less power. Even the S felt too down on power for me (also I didn't like the power delivery, the base may actually be better in that regard.) My GTS is better but could definitely be faster. I love the feeling of having a powerful engine when the time is right to use it!
Old 01-17-2018, 02:41 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wing Commander
Pete, great review of the 991.2 Carrera and Carrera S. Sounds like my T should be a peach with SPASM, PSE, SC, LSD, 20" wheels and the 7-speed manual transmission etc!

Have to say, I do love the Miami Blue!

Love the video! What a driving opportunity! (Reminded me slightly of a blast around the Yorkshire Dales with a dozen 991s!). How hard was the driver of that 991.1 GT3 RS trying...?!
Thanks, and glad you enjoyed it.

As for the RS driver? Well, it's hard to see it in the video, but I was watching the RS's back end bob as its rear tires searched for grip. If you look really closely, you can see it in the video, but it's nowhere near as obvious as it was in person. My take: He was on the edge coming out of several turns, scrabbling for traction—so I don't think there was much more in that RS, and I believe he was pushing the RS harder than I was pushing the Carrera. What's more, he knew the course (having been up and down it repeatedly) where I had only seen it once, from the passenger seat. The telling moments in the video come when Harley says "He just put the radio down" (I've been in 918s and RSs while factory instructors drifted the car one-handed and using their other hand to bark orders into a walkie talkie), and then the guy's voice at the top and bottom of the hill about the driving. I don't think he was expecting a Carrera to keep up. I wasn't either. He is definitely the better driver, and had several advantages (knowing the road, PDK, R-compound tires, etc) but also one key disadvantage: Not much in the way or torque out of the bends. When people think the .2 Carrera isn't a game-changer, I point them to this video. But to me, the key wasn't the new car's speed—shocking as it was. It was the enthusiasm heard in both Harley's and my voice. There haven't been that many Porsches that I had that much fun in on a press trip. The 987.2 Boxster Spyder comes to mind. A few others, but not many...

And yes, you are going to LOVE your T.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:45 PM
AnandN
Rennlist Member

Received 375 Likes on 247 Posts

Something missing in this discussion that I alluded to in my earlier post. The base Carrera is my pick of the bunch as well but it is almost impossible to get an allocation (especially if you want a C4). When I placed my order for my C4S, there were five C4s in the whole country (US). All PDKs. Porsche makes a great base car but not many of them. They and the dealers want to sell more S and pricier 911s. My local dealer has 11, 911s and only one C4 convertible. Another big dealer has a bunch of 911s but only 3 base Carreras. The rest are S and GTS models. And mostly all PDKs.
My sales person also told me that he was finding it hard to get allocations for rwd base Carreras as well. If one is willing to buy off the lot, then one can choose from a small selection of cars.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:00 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Cheers, Pete! My Carrera T can't arrive soon enough!

By any chance, have you written a review or filmed a video on the 991.2 Carrera T?
Old 01-17-2018, 03:02 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Originally Posted by AnandN
Something missing in this discussion that I alluded to in my earlier post. The base Carrera is my pick of the bunch as well but it is almost impossible to get an allocation (especially if you want a C4). When I placed my order for my C4S, there were five C4s in the whole country (US). All PDKs. Porsche makes a great base car but not many of them. They and the dealers want to sell more S and pricier 911s. My local dealer has 11, 911s and only one C4 convertible. Another big dealer has a bunch of 911s but only 3 base Carreras. The rest are S and GTS models. And mostly all PDKs.
My sales person also told me that he was finding it hard to get allocations for rwd base Carreras as well. If one is willing to buy off the lot, then one can choose from a small selection of cars.
Bodes well for residual values on C2s and Ts with manual transmissions!
Old 01-17-2018, 03:30 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AnandN
This is a good point. Just as I think 981 Cayman GTS (or any 2016 Cayman, for that matter) may be a rarer bird than 981 Cayman GT4, I suspect GT3/RS is sold in greater numbers than Carrera 7MT. The manual cars seem to be very rare indeed, though part of this may be trying to gauge that from a dealer inventory perspective. A lot of the 7MT cars out there were ordered and have disappeared into a happy garage somewhere. I do think the T may change the numbers a bit, as it seems to appeal to drivers who may be more likely to order a manual gearbox than the average Carrera buyer. Will be interesting to see what happens there...

Originally Posted by Wing Commander
Cheers, Pete! My Carrera T can't arrive soon enough!

By any chance, have you written a review or filmed a video on the 991.2 Carrera T?
Did a "writeup" of a drive in the GT3 Touring and the Carrera T here on RL, creating threads in this forum and over on the 991 GT3 forum. Harley and I did record video with a "better camera," but I need to see what might be made of it. Also wonder if if would be interesting to folks.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:40 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by reacher
I totally disagree with that. It doesn't take a good driver to put the foot down all the way on a flat, open stretch of road. And it feels really good to do that in a car with a lot of power. A lot better than in a car with less power. Even the S felt too down on power for me (also I didn't like the power delivery, the base may actually be better in that regard.) My GTS is better but could definitely be faster. I love the feeling of having a powerful engine when the time is right to use it!
You bought the wrong car if that is all you care about.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:45 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

You bought the wrong car if that is all you care about.
It's not all I care about, but it's a nice bonus to have a lot of power in addition to everything else. I'm happy with the compromise because the car is phenomenal.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:48 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Agree as well for the most part, except I went for Carrera 4 since I wanted the wide body and light bar....The base engine really is a hoot to drive... Didn't care for the S performance options personally, and my C4 came with $20k in options on it that I'm very happy with. Glad to have done that rather that cut that in half for the S which has the same 9A2 3.0L motor and red brakes and other misc. upgrades.

Keep in mind that it is getting more and more rare to find a 911 with <$10k in options so I wouldn't necessarily compare base price to base price but option out both the S and base model as you like and then see how the chips stack up.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:54 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

I'll sum up what I already posted in this thread and stated in countless others....

A Base 911 with no options gets you 98%. The other 2% is made up in comfort that doesn't really matter and performance that will never get extracted on the street - no matter how great a driver you think you are.

That being said - I recommend the S
Originally Posted by reacher
Reacher, anyone can go fast in a straight line and that is not where the 911 strength lies. I agree 100% with R, there is no way anyone can extract a 911s full ability on the street legally.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:04 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 911boy
Reacher, anyone can go fast in a straight line and that is not where the 911 strength lies.
I think the Turbo S would disagree with you there. Ideally I'd like Turbo S power in a nimbler, sportier package like the GTS. I compromised and got a GTS because power isn't the most important thing to me, but if I could have everything in the same package you bet I'd get it in a heartbeat.

Originally Posted by 911boy
I agree 100% with R, there is no way anyone can extract a 911s full ability on the street legally.
Then why do people get anything other than a base Carrera? Why do Porsche improve performance with every generation? Because people like more power, better handling, better braking, etc. Even though the base Carrera is "enough" car for anyone on the street, people want more. Heck, you can't even extract a Camry's full ability on the street legally so even a base Carrera is overkill according to this logic.

Quick Reply: Reasons to buy base Carrera instead of the S