Sponsored by:

Reasons to buy base Carrera instead of the S

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 06:11 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 545 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by M. Essaie
Just curious - the price premium for the S is only 10 or so percent above the base car. That seems reasonable to me. What then would be the reasons for choosing the base car?
Road & Track has a fantastic article where they compared most of the variants of the 911 back-to-back.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...mparison-test/
Old 01-15-2018, 06:13 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,178 Likes on 434 Posts

Thanks, Gonzalo!

Nice video!

I will probably not track my Carrera T at all, so really do think that the standard brakes will be plenty for me, even if not as pretty as the PCCBs!

Your new Cabriolet looks great, by the way.

Cheers,

Simon
Old 01-15-2018, 06:15 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,178 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by Nino
Get an S so you at least don't have to deal with those poverty black calipers. Base models are for peasants.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:56 PM
titan7
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Well a few reasons:
1. The extra $$ was not worth the difference, at least to me.
2. It’s not a GT3 which would be worth the $$ difference but not in the budget yet.
3. It’s not a GT3
4. It’s not a GT3

My 2017 Carrera was my first 911 and I love it, I don’t track my car, and it goes 0-Illegal speeds in under 4 seconds, not sure I would miss the .1 to .2 second difference of the S. For me the end goal is a GT3, but until then I have to drive a 911 right,well the C2 or base as some call it does just fine. If I had no budget issues I would go right to a GT3. No knock on any of the 911 models they are all great, but for me it’s a C2 until I can get a GT3. YMMV, go with the one that speaks to you at the time, they are all great!
Old 01-15-2018, 09:59 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

Get an S so you at least don't have to deal with those poverty black calipers. Base models are for peasants.
Ouch! Maybe I need some of these:

Old 01-15-2018, 11:32 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,276 Likes on 596 Posts

Hahaha.

But I would have paid extra to paint my PCCB black on my base .2...
Old 01-16-2018, 08:48 AM
737gdog
Burning Brakes

Received 536 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by titan7
Well a few reasons:
1. The extra $$ was not worth the difference, at least to me.
2. It’s not a GT3 which would be worth the $$ difference but not in the budget yet.
3. It’s not a GT3
4. It’s not a GT3

My 2017 Carrera was my first 911 and I love it, I don’t track my car, and it goes 0-Illegal speeds in under 4 seconds, not sure I would miss the .1 to .2 second difference of the S. For me the end goal is a GT3, but until then I have to drive a 911 right,well the C2 or base as some call it does just fine. If I had no budget issues I would go right to a GT3. No knock on any of the 911 models they are all great, but for me it’s a C2 until I can get a GT3. YMMV, go with the one that speaks to you at the time, they are all great!

Kind of in the same camp. Was only looking at the S but two months ago a non S came along that was too nice to pass up. Color I wanted and optioned as I would order the car. Only 2,500 miles on it as well with three years remaning on the cpo warranty. I cannot begin to push the limit on public roads. Having said that, more torque would be nice. My last two cars were turbos and had plenty of torque. My plan is to keep my new to me 911 for a very long time or possibly move up to a gts with a manual transmission. All are great cars and I feel very fortunate to own one.

Old 01-16-2018, 01:27 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

I had mine painted GR to match car. Also got PSE with black tips and 20" wheels on my base 7mt and absolutely love it. I drove an S at PECATL and it was a little faster (on a track) around 4-6000rpm but base is more than enough for street . There wasnt a big difference. I really don't get rear wheel steering and pasm etc for the street. To each his own. If I were re ordering I don't know whether I'd get S or not................
Old 01-16-2018, 03:17 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by M. Essaie
Just curious - the price premium for the S is only 10 or so percent above the base car. That seems reasonable to me. What then would be the reasons for choosing the base car?
As someone who always ordered S versions, it would be easier for me to give the reasons for buying an S. The best argument for buying a base is that the owner will rarely use the extra performance of the S, and that the money saved on the base can be used for other options which can be enjoyed every time the owner gets into his car.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:05 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I'll sum up what I already posted in this thread and stated in countless others....

A Base 911 with no options gets you 98%. The other 2% is made up in comfort that doesn't really matter and performance that will never get extracted on the street - no matter how great a driver you think you are.

That being said - I recommend the S
The following users liked this post:
911Raider (05-18-2023)
Old 01-16-2018, 09:58 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

This is mostly a money issue. Who wouldn't want more power, better brakes and access to S only options? Most of us know the S is a 14k+ upcharge from the base, and for some of us, that is real money. That's about half a normal car, a half semester's tuition, a new roof, etc... So the result is those of us without trust funds and 8-9 figure brokerage accounts begin to think about how much 911 do we really need to have fun. Fortunately, the base .2 goes pretty far, and is a lot of fun for the money. Aiding that assertion are numerous automotive journalists who have opined the base is the best value in the 911 line. Personally, I couldn't comment on how good the S is, I have never driven one, it was outside of a self imposed budget.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:07 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Most of us know the S is a 14k+ upcharge from the base, and for some of us, that is real money. That's about half a normal car, a half semester's tuition,
I assume you are referencing High School when you you state that $14K is for half a semester.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:13 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fast1
I assume you are referencing High School when you you state that $14K is for half a semester.
LOL, I think we're talking secondary education here unless it's the most elite, blue blooded high schools.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:30 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,142 Likes on 982 Posts

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
This is mostly a money issue. Who wouldn't want more power, better brakes and access to S only options? Most of us know the S is a 14k+ upcharge from the base, and for some of us, that is real money. That's about half a normal car, a half semester's tuition, a new roof, etc... So the result is those of us without trust funds and 8-9 figure brokerage accounts begin to think about how much 911 do we really need to have fun. Fortunately, the base .2 goes pretty far, and is a lot of fun for the money. Aiding that assertion are numerous automotive journalists who have opined the base is the best value in the 911 line. Personally, I couldn't comment on how good the S is, I have never driven one, it was outside of a self imposed budget.
To some maybe. I could afford any modern new Porsche but I wanted the Base engine. I really didn't want all that extra HP for the street - a difference that you can barely feel anyway from the Base to the S (at least in the 991.2). The Turbo S is a beast but is miserable to drive on the street - you really can't have any fun with that car unless you are on the autobahn. I did a lot of research into my 911 to make sure I knew what I was getting, I flew down to PEC-ATL to drive the new turbos on the track and listened to them from a bystanders position. If I lived in the mountains or tracked my car, I would want a lot more HP. If I was tracking my car, I probably wouldn't even buy a Porsche. It would have to be a mid-engine car.

I'd pay more for a manual over a pdk. For the street, I would also pay more for LESS hp than an S and pay extra for shorter gears. (I'm a manual guy).

The better brakes of the S are totally irrelevant for the street - we are limited by the grip of our tires not by the size of our calipers or number of pistons. I will caveat this statement assuming you don't drive your car in the mountains or a track. I also didn't want red or yellow calipers to mess up the visual of my black wheels.

I agree that I wanted S options like SPASM that were not available on the Base model. I even approached Porsche exclusive and PAG to try to get SPASM added on a base....but nope was the answer. They want you to step up to the S to get those options.

I think for the first time in Porsche's history, the Base Carrera is the car to get over the S for the 991.2.

Just one man's opinion of course.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:46 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by subshooter

I think for the first time in Porsche's history, the Base Carrera is the car to get over the S for the 991.2.

Just one man's opinion of course.
I commend you for your research. You really went all out, and in particular with European Delivery- very jealous here. Truth be told, from a personal standpoint, if I needed the S, I'd have found the money without any problem. My budget was self imposed. Lucky for me, I loved the base. I think Porsche must have developed the base first, they did a really good job, and then went on the S.

Quick Reply: Reasons to buy base Carrera instead of the S