Speccing a 991.2 GTS C2

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 04:41 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,178 Likes on 434 Posts
Default Speccing a 991.2 GTS C2

Evening all.

Currently contemplating Porsche #4. First was a new Macan 2.0, next was a 2013 991.1 C2, currently in a 2017 Panamera 4, but the temptation of returning to a 911 is strong! It's just me in the car for 95% of the time. I think that with careful use of elder daughter's car and girlfriend's car, having a 911 as my sole car/daily driver is doable!

A build slot for a GTS has appeared and the Porsche Centre is keen to sell it to a customer, rather than buying it in as a showroom car. Hoping to finalise a fair trade in for my Panamera and a bit of a discount on the new GTS (virtually unheard of here in the UK).

Current thinking is a 991.2 C2 with manual box, so pretty much a 'pure' GTS...

My Panamera is Carmine Red, so I fancy a change. Currently thinking GT Silver or white, or possibly Guards Red.

Only very modest options - front & rear parking sensors and heated wheel.

Might go with leather wheel, rather than Alcantara, as a daily driver.

Then to the interior... Would welcome input here. Love the full GTS interior, but it is pricey. Is the standard interior a bit too basic? Halfway house would be the leather upgrade, all black, with Alcantara, but without the contrast stitching, coloured belts, coloured rev counter and carbon fibre trim.

I'd welcome all input...

Cheers,

Simon
Old 01-06-2018, 07:29 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

The most important thing in a daily driver is the seats. Make absolutely sure that you are happy with the 4-way seats. If the 4-ways aren't adjustable enough for you (they may be just fine) then look at the various premium packages with the 14-way/18-way seats. They will add anywhere from $3k-$7k to your sticker price depending on the package, but they come with lots of good stuff.

Personally, for a daily driver, I'd opt to delete the Alcantara (everyone has an opinion about Alcantara). A really great bargain option is the "Standard Interior in Black" for $1540 which gives you leather seats and also includes seat heating/ventilation.

The $0 GT sport steering wheel option gives you a leather wrapped steering wheel instead of Alcantara (everyone has an opinion about Alcantara). The multi-function steering wheel controls are nice but cost $470. I think they are worth it for a daily driver. I use them all the time.

I am always amazed that you have to pay extra for stuff like Porsche entry and drive and auto dimming mirrors. Porsche entry and drive is pricey and I guess you could live without it. The auto-dimming mirrors, however, are important if you plan to drive in the dark. They are $420.

And don't forget the $0 smoking package! It's great for both smokers and non-smokers.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:37 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Thanks, digits. I had the standard 4 way seats in both my previous 991.1 C2 and my current Panamera and they are fine for me. I had 18-ways in my Macan, but rarely adjusted them.

I think that the Alcantara is part of the DNA of the GTS. Plus I tried Alcantara seats in a GT4 and really liked them.

I like the multi-function steering wheel too, and for me, a heated wheel is a must. I presume/hope that the GT Sport wheel can be had as a heated/multi-function one?

Much appreciate your thoughts. And presume you'd approve of a silver GTS! ;-)
Old 01-06-2018, 08:31 PM
HV25
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Wing Commander
Evening all.

Currently contemplating Porsche #4. First was a new Macan 2.0, next was a 2013 991.1 C2, currently in a 2017 Panamera 4, but the temptation of returning to a 911 is strong! It's just me in the car for 95% of the time. I think that with careful use of elder daughter's car and girlfriend's car, having a 911 as my sole car/daily driver is doable!

A build slot for a GTS has appeared and the Porsche Centre is keen to sell it to a customer, rather than buying it in as a showroom car. Hoping to finalise a fair trade in for my Panamera and a bit of a discount on the new GTS (virtually unheard of here in the UK).

Current thinking is a 991.2 C2 with manual box, so pretty much a 'pure' GTS...

My Panamera is Carmine Red, so I fancy a change. Currently thinking GT Silver or white, or possibly Guards Red.

Only very modest options - front & rear parking sensors and heated wheel.

Might go with leather wheel, rather than Alcantara, as a daily driver.

Then to the interior... Would welcome input here. Love the full GTS interior, but it is pricey. Is the standard interior a bit too basic? Halfway house would be the leather upgrade, all black, with Alcantara, but without the contrast stitching, coloured belts, coloured rev counter and carbon fibre trim.

I'd welcome all input...

Cheers,

Simon

Hello there - I'm currently finalising my thoughts on a new GTS myself so I can understand your thoughts.

I find the standard interior definitely too basic because it comes with a nicely textured 'plastic' dashboard and door panel tops. If you go for the £ 2.3k 'black' GTS interior package without the deviated stitching these parts come in black leather which I think looks a bit more like a £ 100k car. Personally I find the GTS interior package with deviated stitching a bit 'too busy' due to the combination of too many different materials and I'm not a fan of coloured rev counters.

Other options I will put on mine include the front axle lift and the parking sensors to improve the usability on a daily basis.

In terms of colour I'm going for GT Silver which is admittedly quite traditional and timeless for a GTS but its a nice contrast and highlights the black details and rims the GTS package includes.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:43 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

Thanks, digits. I had the standard 4 way seats in both my previous 991.1 C2 and my current Panamera and they are fine for me. I had 18-ways in my Macan, but rarely adjusted them.

I think that the Alcantara is part of the DNA of the GTS. Plus I tried Alcantara seats in a GT4 and really liked them.

I like the multi-function steering wheel too, and for me, a heated wheel is a must. I presume/hope that the GT Sport wheel can be had as a heated/multi-function one?

Much appreciate your thoughts. And presume you'd approve of a silver GTS! ;-)
Since you are a fan of Alcantara and the 4-ways then you will be getting a car you'll love and you'll keep your MSRP minimized by skipping past tons of the overpriced interior options, too! That's fantastic.

Yes, the configurator lets you tick the boxes for the heated/multi-function steering wheel and the GT sport steering wheel independently. The GT sport steering wheel option switches you from Alcantara to the leather wrap and the heated/multi-function option adds, um, the heating and multi-function controls.

The color is the toughest thing to choose. I suppose you noticed from my avatar that I went with GT silver - and for a daily driver that I don't wash often enough it is nice that it doesn't show dirt as much as some other colors will (my wife's black Macan looks dirty all the time). I did get xpel on the front end which helps repel some of the road grime. I have to say, though, that the black wheels on the GTS really pair well with some of the other colors. I am too old to prance about in one of the really bold colors (but I secretly love carmine red). Going with any of the darker shades necessitates selecting "LED headlights in black" to avoid a mismatch with the grey headlight surrounds. I considered chalk and graphite blue metallic since they are sort of special and won't be on the menu for much longer. All things considered, though, to me agate grey metallic looks best with the black wheels.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:02 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Thanks, digits. Having just watched a Nick Murray video on alcantara, I may swing back to full leather with the GTS pack, including contrast stitching and carbon fibre etc.

Thank you for your thoughts on colour. My first 991 was Platinum Silver, so maybe GT Silver would be too similar to that. And my current Porsche is Carmine Red.

Maybe Miami Blue and Racing Yellow are a bit too bold.

I don't want black with black wheels.

Agate Grey - hmmmmm! You could be on to something there! :-)
Old 01-07-2018, 05:53 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I love Alcantara and would go that direction personally, but whether you do that or leather I would definitely recommend doing an interior package with the leather dash. The basic Porsche interiors with the plastic dash is a depressing place to be, in my opinion. It looks too cheap for such an expensive car.

I'm honestly not a fan of black wheels, but I'm warming up to them on my agate grey GTS. They do look pretty good with that color.
Old 01-07-2018, 06:11 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Cheers, reacher.

Having re-assessed my requirements, usage, mileage and budget, I'm now considering instead of a new 991.2 GTS:

* A new Carrera T
* A new Carrera C2
* A new lightly specced C4.
* A new lightly specced C2S.
* A low mileage year old model from the above list.

I agree with you on avoiding a 911 with a plastic dash. .

Old 01-07-2018, 10:05 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Cheers, reacher.

Having re-assessed my requirements, usage, mileage and budget, I'm now considering instead of a new 991.2 GTS:

* A new Carrera T
* A new Carrera C2
* A new lightly specced C4.
* A new lightly specced C2S.
* A low mileage year old model from the above list.

I agree with you on avoiding a 911 with a plastic dash. .
I'd look for a lightly used well specced 991.2 C2S. I'm not a fan of dropping to base models or getting a car with no options to save money on a new car, I'd rather get a used car with decent options.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:09 PM
SBARacing
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

[QUOTE=reacher;14716326]I love Alcantara and would go that direction personally, but whether you do that or leather I would definitely recommend doing an interior package with the leather dash. The basic Porsche interiors with the plastic dash is a depressing place to be, in my opinion. It looks too cheap for such an expensive car.

@reacher and fellow Alcantara owners please confirm or deny.
Doesn't the Alcantara PKG get you leather dash? i know that the door trims and front dash get leather with deviated red stitching, so wouldn't that get you leather dash?

My build looks Tue, i'd appreciate if someone ca confirm or deny so i can make a call if i need to add the "Extended Interior Package, Dashboard Trim" or not to get leather dash.

thanks,
Ben
Old 01-07-2018, 11:23 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=SBARacing;14716887]
Originally Posted by reacher
I love Alcantara and would go that direction personally, but whether you do that or leather I would definitely recommend doing an interior package with the leather dash. The basic Porsche interiors with the plastic dash is a depressing place to be, in my opinion. It looks too cheap for such an expensive car.

@reacher and fellow Alcantara owners please confirm or deny.
Doesn't the Alcantara PKG get you leather dash? i know that the door trims and front dash get leather with deviated red stitching, so wouldn't that get you leather dash?

My build looks Tue, i'd appreciate if someone ca confirm or deny so i can make a call if i need to add the "Extended Interior Package, Dashboard Trim" or not to get leather dash.

thanks,
Ben
Yes the package you have in the pictures definitely has the leather dash. Looks great!
Old 01-07-2018, 11:27 PM
SBARacing
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

@reacher
thank you for verifying.
I wouldn’t want a plastic look on a 150K 911.
Old 01-08-2018, 12:42 AM
yocubed
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SBARacing
@reacher
thank you for verifying.
I wouldn’t want a plastic look on a 150K 911.
What the Extended Interior Dashboard trim gets you is the defroster panels covered in leather rather than plastic (with deviated stitching if you also have the GTS interior package) Here are the pics of the pieces covered in leather from the 3D configurator.
In my opinion it's a pricey addition but does completely take the plastic of the dash out of your view and really looks sleek with the GTS interior package, of course as with everything Porsche it's not without it's price.

And for reference the first piece without the package
Old 01-08-2018, 02:47 AM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by yocubed
What the Extended Interior Dashboard trim gets you is the defroster panels covered in leather rather than plastic (with deviated stitching if you also have the GTS interior package) Here are the pics of the pieces covered in leather from the 3D configurator.
In my opinion it's a pricey addition but does completely take the plastic of the dash out of your view and really looks sleek with the GTS interior package, of course as with everything Porsche it's not without it's price.

And for reference the first piece without the package
Hello,

Can you please clarify if the last picture which is standard leather interior with Alcantara Delete is plastic and not leather in the dashboard?

Thanks,
Old 01-08-2018, 07:58 AM
CombatChuk
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 11 Posts

Alcantara is awesome (I would have gotten it in my GTS if my wife liked it). However, I would suggest switching the Steering Wheel and Gear Lever to Leather so it doesn't look all dry and crusty after 6 months of use

Quick Reply: Speccing a 991.2 GTS C2