Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 Cayman GTS to 991.2 Carrera 2 GTS Coupe: oh my!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 08:23 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts
Default 981 Cayman GTS to 991.2 Carrera 2 GTS Coupe: oh my!

I thought this thread might be useful for those considering a 991.2 GTS, especially if they are coming from the Cayman/Boxster line. There is no shortage of thread on build questions.

Part I: Background and build

I absolutely loved my Cayman GTS, and 987.1 Cayman S before that, both with MT. There was no great need to trade in the 2015. A bit of a 3 year itch, life is too short to drive the same car for too long. More than anything else I wanted to experience a 911, and since I’ll be thinking of retiring in 10 years or so, now is the time. I also figured that if I was to own a 911, I would want to spec it myself, as I did for my Cayman GTS. Since it would be my 3rd Porsche sports car, there were some must have’s (#1 being manual transmission), and lots that I didn’t want, which eliminated most everything on the dealer lots. Since I prefer relatively minimalist builds (aside for the GTS options), CPO 991.1 never made much sense from a value standpoint, even if it meant heading to the uncertain territory of turbo-dom and leaving the beloved NA flat 6.

Which 911.2? I was originally considering a C4 with many of the GTS options (the AWD would be more practical in the VT winters), in addition to the GTS Coupe. When I called the dealer, he had no C4 allocations, and couldn’t find one to trade, but said he had a GTS C2 Coupe that was going to lock soon. That is what I secretly wanted anyway. I wanted to experience the rawer RWD version, so we settled on what I thought was a reasonable discount of 4%, with my retaining an option to trade in the Cayman.

Why not the Carrera T? It wasn’t available when I ordered, and it wasn’t on my radar either. It is a good value, I would have seriously thought of it, though in the end I would have probably gone for the GTS instead. Reasons: The T is being offered at MRSP; after a few options I’d be not far from a GTS price; I wanted to maximize the difference to my Cayman as far as acceleration and torque go. (FWIW: per my service advisor, Porsche will make as many T’s as they can sell, but limit the GTS numbers, aiding in resale value for the GTS.)

Why not GT3 Touring? Again, not available when I ordered. Probably good have gotten one from my dealer, but I would have paid a markup, and would have had to deal with center locks, (see below). Probably not as appropriate for a primary commuter car and seeing only a few DE’s. (But damn I could die for the sound of that car…)

Which options? A lot of this depends on the car’s intended use and I guess personality of the owner. I am fortunate to have a daily commute that I love, with some twisty country roads and then about 10 miles of interstate, and relatively little traffic. I drive “spiritedly” . I have lived and worked in Germany for 6 years and commuted on the Autobahn (alas with a 3 series, not a Porsche) so I do have a need for speed when the conditions present. I don’t do many long drives. In the summer I drive on I89 through the green mountains very early Sunday mornings when I have it almost to myself. I keep both hand on the wheel and have my playlist on low to hear the engine, shifting mostly by ear. No food, no drink, no distractions. I did 3 PCA DE days with the Cayman GTS, and plan on at least a few with the 911, to learn how the car handles at the limit, and to have fun. Tracks are too far away for me to make it a regular habit, not to mention hassles and expense of brakes/tire wear.

In addition to the GTS standard sports exhaust and sports chrono package, I opted for the SPASM, because the clearance is actually 1 mm higher than the Cayman GTS, and I rarely had clearance issues with that car. I selected the no cost 5 lugs instead of the center locks. Yes the CL’s look cool, but I do not want to sacrifice the ease of changing my own wheels twice a year for what is essentially bling.

The big omission was rear axle steering, mostly to allow for 19” winter wheel packages, which are cheaper, more readily available and more appropriate for the frost heaves and pot holes that develop in the brutal Vermont winters. But I also was leery of adding too many aids to make the car move faster with less driver effort (and therefore no PDK). I am also very skeptical on just how much a difference it makes: at under 30 mph it decreases the turning radius by only about a foot (out of 36!). The difference in turning radius between the non RAS 911 GTS and Cayman GTS is only 6 inches! Outside of timed track use, or maybe in tight city parking garages, I really have my doubts that the added complexity and cost are justified. I keep reading about how it is so necessary, but I doubt anyone has tested an identical model in same conditions save for the RAS.

I also went for the standard sound system. Had Bose on both prior Caymans, never felt it was worth it, since I keep the tunes low, to better hear the car.

I had more difficult decision with the standard alcantara interior vs leather. In the Cayman GTS it was easy, the full leather was a no cost option. I like the sporty look of the alcantara interior, but that would give me the pebbly hard dash, something I never liked in my first Cayman. So I plunked down the nearly 4 grand for the leather. I stuck to basic black, I’m not a fan of the two tones and colors, too my eye just too busy for a sports car. Part of me wanted red, but I keep seeing an Italian hair salon LOL. To add some color to the black interior with the black brushed aluminum trim, I added guards red seat belts, something I had also done for my white/black Cayman GTS, and was glad I did. Colored belts are a great way to spice up a dark interior, and actually a good value (if you don’t believe me, try to retrofit them…).

A few other options: auto dimming mirrors and heated seats (winter commutes). I chose the Sports Plus seats, had them on the Cayman GTS and loved them: simple, relatively light, and comfortable for me (I have a marathoner’s build). I also like the silver shell, especially with the GT silver exterior of the 911. Fire extinguisher: for the occasional HPDE. GT steering wheel in leather: no buttons, smaller diameter, looks good. Fixed roof without sunroof: I’m not a convertible guy, I rarely used sunroofs on my prior cars, and to reduce squeaks and rattles, keeping the build simple and light. Model delete on rear: single font of PORSCHE, cleaner look, easier to clean; kept GTS decal on doors.

Exterior GT Silver and black wheels: in part to better hide dirt and brake dust. I like to keep it clean, but I am not an obsessive detailer. The GT silver used to be a very expensive option for the Cayman, I feel like I am getting a bargain for a classic Porsche color LOL. I also had the full Expel added. I am a fan of waterless wash/wax with plenty of microfiber, the PPF will make it that much easier.

Overall I went for a relatively stripper GTS build, similar to my Cayman, keeping things light and relatively simple, for a driver focused sports car.

To follow in the next few days:
Part II: Dealer experience and trade
Part III Initial impressions
And of course pictures
Old 01-04-2018, 08:41 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,147 Likes on 986 Posts

I loved reading your experience and I am looking forward to part II and III.

I ended up with a C4 and optioned it exactly like a GTS as much as I could. The C4 was tough to get an allocation for but much easier than a GT3.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:46 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,540 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Great write up, congrats!
Old 01-04-2018, 09:00 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Great write up but get to the driving comparison! Haha. We all agonized over the options on our cars.... it’s comical to deliberate so much... a base no option Porsche gets you 98.5% and we spend more time knit picking the remaining 1.5%.

great post and I don’t mean my comments to be negativities since we all did the same thing when shopping
Old 01-04-2018, 09:11 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Nice write-up! Congrats!!!

I cannot wait until mine arrives. Only a month or two to go!
Old 01-04-2018, 09:16 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

“ Overall I went for a relatively stripper GTS build, similar to my Cayman, keeping things light and relatively simple, for a driver focused sports car.”

Awesome.

Old 01-04-2018, 09:50 PM
Boulder Mike
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Great post. Subscribed. Interested to hear your drive review especially impressions of the MT. The manual in my .2 GTS is very different than any other that I’ve driven.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:55 AM
Sausage416
Pro

Received 334 Likes on 168 Posts

Similar to OP, Ive had a cayman gts ( Carmine red ) but pdk, switched to a 991.2 gts pdk about 6 months ago. The 911 is a step up relative to the cayman ,except the sound ,I’ve added speedtech sports cat and xpipe,while it sounds good for a turbo , it is no where near the sound of a NA flat6 of cayman.
That being said ,I love the linear power delivery of the 3.0tt of the gts, it’s almost NA like, very little lag. The limit on the 911 is much much higher ,and I am looking forward to your track feedback.

Congrats on the c2 gts ,it’s a fantastic upgrade, you will not be disappointed.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:03 AM
MeshGearFox
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 34 Posts

Great post—looking forward to seeing/hearing more, since I'm a Green Mountain fan. I've ridden or driven through almost every corner of the state (except maybe the Northeast Kingdom).

Also appreciating your story, since I finally bit the bullet 12 months ago on my C2S and only took delivery in March.

Just one season together. and now she's asleep under a cover. (For this "bombogenic" weather, I'm sticking with the truck!)

Last edited by MeshGearFox; 01-05-2018 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:16 AM
AnandN
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 254 Posts

Nice. Also very interesting to read your rationale about your choices about options and colors. I guess it its true, as commented earlier, that the base Carrera is the best value in the 911 lineup for street driving. I ended up with a C4S becasue I couldnt get an allocation for a C4. Also wanted awd and a coupe this time with a glass sunroof so that I wouldn't miss my Boxster too much. We all have our reasons. and end up with pretty special and personalized cars.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:32 AM
Big997Fan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great read. Thanks for taking the time to walk us through your process

Can't wait for the next installments!
Old 01-05-2018, 08:36 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 434 Likes on 293 Posts

A great read indeed! As we pretty much have doppelgangers, I'll be interested in your further adventures. My GTS is currently napping comfortably in a (sort of) heated garage and probably won't see a roadway for a couple more months.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:17 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Thank you for your comments and encouragement! Below is a picture of the Cayman I took at home in VT in October for the dealer , and a picture of the 911 waiting for me in the show room in NH. Part 2 to follow soon.

Old 01-05-2018, 11:21 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Part II: Dealer experiences and trade

Burlington used to have a Porsche dealer, but they closed about the time I got interested in buying one. My nearest dealers are all about 3 hours each way. This means test drives are really not an option for me, and I always laugh when I read a post that says “just test drive one” when someone asks about an option or model. I have had to rely on forums (mostly Planet 9 for the Cayman’s, Rennlist for 911) and online journalist/blogger reviews for Porsche information.

I was interested in the Cayman from when it first came out: mid engine, manual option, and reasonably priced, but alas no nearby dealer. I finally got over my angst and bought a used 2006 Cayman S the way you aren’t supposed to: sight unseen, from the Lexus branch of a large luxury Boston dealer—and I had never even ridden in a Porsche. After driving the sales guy nuts with questions and photo requests, I had it shipped to my house on a trailer. It had a fixed suspension, Xenons, SC (basically just a dash watch on that model), Bose, a partial PPF, heated seats and auto dimming mirrors. It was a great car, it sold me on the brand, and spoiled me too: I could no longer enjoy driving a non sports car.

It was natural to trade this in a few years later for the Cayman GTS, the reviews were glowing (see Car and Driver 2915 Cayman GTS review, which clocked the MT at 4.1 seconds 0-60; why Porsche underestimates it’s performance numbers is beyond me). I called the 3 nearest dealers, but Stratham NH was the one that gave a reasonable deal from the start, no nonsense take it or leave it, 4% off and a solid trade in at high end of KBB value. The new Cayman was ready for pick up a couple of days before Christmas 2014, which happened to coincide with a thaw and rain, perfect for making the trade on summer rubber. I never understood the allure of sports exhaust until this car. Paired with the NA flat 6, it was always dramatic to drive full out on the interstate and back roads. The auto rev feature made me lazy, I had got pretty decent at heal toe on the 06, but found myself always selecting sports plus once the engine oil was up to temp on the 2015. The interior was a huge upgrade over the **** carpet and pebble dash. The only downside was the less tactile steering and less direct mechanical noises from the engine due to more sound proofing. The PASM was a surprising plus, on poor road surfaces the 06 would skip like a hockey puck, I’d have pick ups on my tail on the back road frost heaves.

For the 991.2 I called Stratham again, and we settled on a 4% discount, which from my prior research on Rennlist was a decent deal on an ordered car.

I was toying with the idea of selling the Cayman on my own, or even keeping it. Vermont allows a 3 month grace period for sale tax rebate on the trade from either side of the new car purchase date. In the end I decided to go ahead with the dealer trade. I don’t have the room to appropriately store two Porsches, and I didn’t want the hassle of a private trade. I did get what I thought at first was a low ball offer for the 23000 mile Cayman GTS at $59K , for dealer sight unseen. But when I considered the cars shortcomings, which I disclosed to the dealer with detailed photos, I realized it wasn’t unrealistic, and actually in the middle of the KBB for “good condition”: I had: done zero maintenance besides 3 self oil changes in my own garage; scraped both sides of the front fenders and curbed one of the wheels (all these stupid mishaps at my work place parking garage entrance/exit gates, while distracted with work issues); taken a gravel hit to the hood, down to the aluminum with small associated dent; chipped and repaired the windshield; and received a healthy dose of road rash (lacking PPF). But in the end I had 3 years with a great Porsche that I spec’ed myself for $5000/year of depreciation, or 20% in 3 years, far less than the “20% once you drive off the dealer lot” you so often hear about. Front tires and brakes (and brake fluid) were original. I did replace mu rear summer tires at some point after trashing the outer treads on the track and picking up a piece of metal near the sidewall causing a slow leak.

The 911 arrived a couple of weeks ahead of schedule, and a week before Christmas. Unfortunately there was to be no timely thaw this time around. Instead an anomalously cold air mass settled over the Northeast, so despite having some free time, I couldn’t simply drive the Cayman to NH, crossing the Green and White Mountains, and pick up the 911, with both cars on summer rubber. A planned transfer on the December 23rd with forecast near freezing temps was thwarted by ice rain and pavement temperatures in the twenties. It would have ended in disaster.

As we were passing from the old year to the new, the dealer wanted to complete paperwork in 2017, to make it look like they closed the sale in 2017. Although this was a little awkward and smacked of typical dealer shenanigans, I wanted to keep on their good side. I was very happy they were keeping my new car inside the showroom, protecting the summer tires from subzero temperatures. They sent up the paperwork by overnight UPS, for the signatures predated to show closing in 2017.

Temperatures were still swinging from well below zero to teens (Fahrenheit), and I was trying to figure how to exchange my cars. The issue was I already had my winter 911 tires delivered to my house from Tirerack, back in the temperate days of October. And of course my Cayman now had its winter set on, and its summers stacked in my basement, next to the 911 set. How to transfer the tires? It would turn out to be as complex as the famous traveling salesman problem of mathematics. I came up with the idea of driving the Cayman down to NH on the winter tires, driving back up to VT with a dealer loaner hauling the Cayman winters and 911 summers, dropping off the 8 tires from home, driving back to NH with 8 different tires (winter 911, summer Cayman). I have to hand to the dealership they were game. They said they would loan me a pick up truck with a covered bed. Although I was hoping for a Cayenne, they said it would be too small for 8 tires.

With the green light, I dashed off for a final drive in myCayman GTS, a sunny and cold January mid day, temps in teens, dry pavement, permitting a glorious spirited drive on I89, without troopers I got to Stratham by the promised 3 pm. Problem: when they were getting the truck ready, they got a low tire pressure warning. They topped off the tires and the warning was gone, hoping the low pressure was just from the very cold temperatures and not a real leak. Unfortunattely 20 miles down the road, the low tire pressure warning light came on. I couldn’t risk driving across the mountains in the dark with chance of snow showers in the forecast, so I pulled off at the next exit, and started back, calling my service advisor and suggesting they get a loaner Cayenne ready.

By the time I pulled back into the dealer, the big black Cayenne Hybrid with 1000 miles on the odometer was ready for me. We figured this would mean I could only bring back one set of tires, for the 911, we’ed have to worry about bringing down the Cayman’s summer set at a later date. After a quick review of the Cayenne — what a monstrous beast— I was off. Unlike the pick up, the Cayanne wasn’t tanked up with gas, and no hybrid trickery would get this 2 ton Porsche over the mountains. I had to pull off I89 in the now dark NH to find a gas station. After tanking up, I I turned the left hand ignition key to start the Cayanne—and nothing happended! Since this was the first automatic I’d driven since some nameless rental car, I double checked: brake pedal depressed, car in Park, but no go. Blocking a pump at a busy rural gas station, and getting annoyed looks from a waiting pick up driver, I made a harried late evening call to my service advisor. He reminded me that the key was on left —oh the ignominy!—and to put the car in park and depress the brake. Remaining as calm as I could, I explained yes I made it that far, but no go. Then he figured the car had automatically switched to full electric mode, so it was really ready to go, I’d just have to give it more gas. And sure enough, that was it. I had assumed that the lack of sound when I turne the key meant a broken Porsche, I had never experience a Porsche starting without a roar! Who would have thought something like that would be both possible and intended!

My adventure had only begun. Once I left the land of billboards and crossed into Vermont, the road climbed into the Green Mountains, and the snow began. It was no problem propelling the Cayenne, with its towering seating position, large mass, powerful engine and AWD in the left lane, passing lesser cars. Until the windshield wiper fluid started freezing on the wipers and windshield, with temps dropping to 0°F. By 50 miles of this I had retreated to the right lane, getting passed by lesser cars, while looking through the one small section of clear windshield, focusing on what I could discern of the road margin through the swirling snow flakes, until descending to the lower elevations past the Stowe exit, where the salt trucks had done there work. Anyone who has tried to drive at night in mid winter snow squalls in the mountains can relate to these challenging driving conditions.

Finally the Cayenne was safely parked by itself in my 2 car garage, at an angle so as to fit comfortably. After a quick late dinner, I went about loading the 911 winter tires, and realizing with a little mix and matching, I’d be able to get the Cayman summer tires in as well. A close fit, but without forcing, I got all 8 tire/wheels into the Cayenne. It would have made a good commercial. I had agreed I’d be back by 9 am for the service department to put the winter wheels on the 911, and get my chance to sit and drive in one--finally!.

To follow in a few days:

Part III Initial impressions

And more pictures
Old 01-06-2018, 10:03 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts

I have to at your throne, as you just might be the first person I’ve ever seen write longer and more detailed reviews than I do!

Congrats on the new car! 911’s are the legends for a reason, which you will soon realize. But I have to say, a part of me hurt for you while reading about giving up the 981 GTS. If I had one of those babies, I’d either keep it for pure pleasure or wrap it in bubble wrap and lock it away in a garage. Absolutely in love with them and find them nearly irreplaceable in this day and age. But variety is the spice, I admire you for having your experience with it, and here’s to you enjoying your next journey.

Quick Reply: 981 Cayman GTS to 991.2 Carrera 2 GTS Coupe: oh my!