Sponsored by:

which tires for the winter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 08:25 PM
kage65
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
Default which tires for the winter?

Live in GA, currently pretty cold here at the moment - highs in the upper 30's F, but next week getting back to highs around 50. Thinking about getting my first 991.2 but clueless about tires. Is it possible to only keep one set of tires all year round and still use the full potential of the car? Switching back and forth from winter to summer tires sounds like a bit of trouble, given that 4 tires won't even fit in the car ( or will they?). Tks
Old 01-03-2018, 09:06 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

My car came delivered with Carrera S 20" wheels and P-zero tires. I bought a second set of wheels (19" Carrera wheels) with Pirelli Sottozero tires for the winter. I keep the set in my garage mounted on a tire rack on the wall. Swapping the four wheels only takes about a half hour (I like to make sure they're clean, so that takes a bit of time).
Old 01-03-2018, 11:22 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 401 Posts

Is the 911 your only vehicle?

The first 2 years I had my C4S I ran it pretty much year around with summer tires except when there was potential for snow and ice.

With that said I knew the limitations and kept in mind that traction and handling could be limited because of the cold.

2 years ago I was looking for a set of winters and found a killer deal on Rennlist on a lightly used set of OEM 19" Porsche Rims with tires up in Maryland and could not pass them up.

Now I run in any weather and love the handling and the confidence of winter tires at low temps.

You can find some deals on Rennlist and Tirerack on winter wheel sets for around $2K
Old 01-03-2018, 11:39 PM
kage65
Racer

First time I searched for the topic I did not come up with anything. Second time found a huge thread
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9598...r-tires-3.html
so Im' reading up on that now.
One thing I'm still wondering is this. How is the handling in winter on winter tires compared to summer tires in the summer?
Old 01-03-2018, 11:59 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by kage65
One thing I'm still wondering is this. How is the handling in winter on winter tires compared to summer tires in the summer?
I just came back from tearing up some back roads tonight at it's 20 deg out and handling was fantastic.

I do have a C4S so the fronts were doing their thing...... but I love the handling.

I think my biggest difference was going from 20" to 19"..... more rubber more flex...... but very controlled and predictable.

There was some good video comparisons of winter vs summer tires posed on here last week that very well done.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:41 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

First time I searched for the topic I did not come up with anything. Second time found a huge thread
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9598...r-tires-3.html
so Im' reading up on that now.
If you install performance winter tires like Michelin Alpins or Pirelli Sottozeros, then you’ll find that the performance in winter months is quite good, especially on cold, dry pavement. It won’t be as good as summer tires in summer conditions, but it will be quite good. I think the bigger concern is how summer tires would handle in winter conditions. They wouldn’t perform as well as winter tires on cold, dry pavement. They would be a nightmare in snowy conditions.

Last edited by Dennis C; 01-04-2018 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:13 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C

If you install performance winter tires like Michelin Alpins or Pirelli Sottozeros, then you’ll find that the performance in winter months is quite good, especially on cold, dry pavement. It won’t be as good as summer tires in summer conditions, but it will be quite good. I think the bigger concern is now summer tires would handle in winter conditions. They wouldn’t perform as well as winter tires on cold, dry pavement. They would be a nightmare in snowy conditions.
+1. Its about braking. C4S won't help with that.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:52 AM
kage65
Racer

Do you guys switch out the tires yourself? If so, you are not concerned about the alignment when doing it yourself?

Or do you have a shop do it? If so how do you get the 4 tires there and the others back? Tks
Old 01-04-2018, 12:21 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I do it myself because I like to clean the calipers and inside the wheel wells when the wheels are off.

Wheel changes don’t impact alignment, so this isn’t an issue.

I currently put the car up on Jackpoint Jack Stands, but I have also done it by lifting each corner individually.

Here’s a link to a thread that I started last autumn when I changed my wheels for winter. Mine are center locks, so that makes it a bit different from 5-lug wheel changes, but you can see the jack stands and other parts of the process.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turb...oto-heavy.html
Old 01-04-2018, 05:54 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Live in GA, currently pretty cold here at the moment - highs in the upper 30's F, but next week getting back to highs around 50. Thinking about getting my first 991.2 but clueless about tires. Is it possible to only keep one set of tires all year round and still use the full potential of the car? Switching back and forth from winter to summer tires sounds like a bit of trouble, given that 4 tires won't even fit in the car ( or will they?). Tks
Summer tires work fine in weather below 30 degrees. Yes, I know the recommendation and warnings. If I lived in Georgia, I wouldn't bother with changing tires. Summer tires are still rubber and you have a really large contact patch. Drive responsibly and you'll be fine. There are plenty of folks that drive in 3 in of snow with bald no-season tires and most get by, also not recommended. In GA, I wouldn't worry about it one bit.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:24 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Snow tires would work on the track too. They are round. They’ll roll. Just take it easy and you’ll be fine.

Old 01-04-2018, 06:53 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Snow tires would work on the track too. They are round. They’ll roll. Just take it easy and you’ll be fine.

That's a little extreme. But doable. Heck, I ran a track day with all-seasons using my BMW last summer (P Car was in the shop). I was getting passed left and right but I still had fun. The brakes were not manageable, the tires were.
Street driving you could pretty much drive with anything if there's not a lot of snow.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:03 PM
spiderv6
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by 3Series
Summer tires work fine in weather below 30 degrees. Yes, I know the recommendation and warnings.
No they don't. That's a ridiculous statement to make. There must be a dozen recent threads on this topic if you search.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:42 PM
.2PDK
Drifting

Received 1,203 Likes on 726 Posts

Old 01-04-2018, 08:46 PM
.2PDK
Drifting

Received 1,203 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by 3Series
Summer tires work fine in weather below 30 degrees. Yes, I know the recommendation and warnings. If I lived in Georgia, I wouldn't bother with changing tires. Summer tires are still rubber and you have a really large contact patch. Drive responsibly and you'll be fine. There are plenty of folks that drive in 3 in of snow with bald no-season tires and most get by, also not recommended. In GA, I wouldn't worry about it one bit.
The internet is a wondrous place.

Quick Reply: which tires for the winter?