Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nick Murray Porsche negotiation

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 06:06 PM
socalpcarfan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wont find this type of discussions on Ferrari chat. Then again, those folks are rich. Lol
Old 12-29-2017, 06:12 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by tse
I thought your car had a PDK?
Yes, when you become a man you can try it!
Old 12-29-2017, 06:28 PM
AnandN
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by ducstar
Has anyone successfully purchased/ordered a new P car with a signification percentage discount as described by Nick?

I'm about to start connecting with dealerships. My plan is to send out offer letters for my configuration.

I have time on my side. My own financing, and a significant cash down ready.

thoughts?
I ordered a 2018 C4S MSRP 130k with options from my dealer and asked for a 6% discount. They agreed with no counteroffer, no hassles. I thought it was fair to me and them. I also traded in my 2013 Boxster S for 44k. It was a fairly generous trade offer. The service advisor and parts department are also very fair to deal with. I ordered a set of 19-inch winter wheels and tires from them for 4k. MSRP is 4.4k. If you have a reputable local dealer, most should agree to a 6-7% discount and perhaps more for a heavily-optioned car.
Old 12-29-2017, 06:30 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,278 Likes on 597 Posts

Originally Posted by Highyo
bro he ruined your life
??????
Old 12-29-2017, 08:00 PM
.2PDK
Drifting

Received 1,203 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
Yes, when you become a man you can try it!
And here I thought they were made purely to capture the female market...
Old 12-29-2017, 08:16 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by tse
And here I thought they were made purely to capture the female market...
If/when I drive up to Ontario, I'll let you try it, do not despair. We tend to stay in Beamsville for the grape juice.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:40 PM
Highyo
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by tse
What dealership do you work for?
good one
Old 12-29-2017, 08:45 PM
Highyo
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
??????
didn’t you see the part where that testosterone freak said that dealers ruin people’s lives?
Old 12-29-2017, 08:56 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,278 Likes on 597 Posts

didn’t you see the part where that testosterone freak said that dealers ruin people’s lives?
Sorry, missed that.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:56 PM
Pointbye
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 29 Posts

Don’t be silly, the testosterone only comes out online. He’s clearly got issues.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:23 AM
ducstar
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AnandN
I ordered a 2018 C4S MSRP 130k with options from my dealer and asked for a 6% discount. They agreed with no counteroffer, no hassles. I thought it was fair to me and them. I also traded in my 2013 Boxster S for 44k. It was a fairly generous trade offer. The service advisor and parts department are also very fair to deal with. I ordered a set of 19-inch winter wheels and tires from them for 4k. MSRP is 4.4k. If you have a reputable local dealer, most should agree to a 6-7% discount and perhaps more for a heavily-optioned car.
great insight. thanks.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:40 AM
erko1905
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Nino
Highyo. I'm not gonna get into it about how all dealers are scummy legal con men. I'm on a mobile device. I'll keep it simple;

These guys ruin people's lives. Every dealer from A-Z. They lie, cheat, take your money and laugh at you in the back. You know it, I know it. I've met and known far too many innocent people whose lives have been negatively affected because of slimey dealers. They're super "friendly" and polite only to deceive you. Earn your trust just to flush you down the drain. I've worked at dealers and seen what happens behind the season. It's sickening. They prey upon innocent and sometimes naive people.

I got such a joy laughing at the guy on mute. I actually even stomped my legs at my desk in joy. He was clearly bothered. I know he was full of it when he said "let me make 400 bucks at least". We know he made a couple thousand at the least. Better than the 20k they made off you and others. The best part is it was the car built how I wanted to the T and a couple 600 dollar bonus features which spiced up the looks. Heck yes.

"Hey Nino I got this CPO 16 GTS! Perfect for you!" MSRP when new 140k... Asking $131k. LOL!!!!! Best part is he tells me they configured and sold the car new. They had already made at least $13k off this vehicle a little more than a year ago. Now they're selling it again because they got it back on trade at 131k. Trying to make another 10k minimum on it while praising it's build. You know they told the guy his options don't mean anything and GTS isn't rare upon trade. The man is attempting to take me for a fool **** him. Always glad to take food off his table and money out of their banks to keep it with me. Why am I not opening up my own Porsche store? Screw being a somebody.

I guess some people like getting greased up before the dealer sticks it in.

Go ahead, call me an A-hole. I'm more than willing to spend on leisure and taking out family/friends for a good time. No questions. Just put it on my tab... Dealerships on the other hand? No.

Some of you guys read far too deep between the lines. Just enjoy it for what it is an laugh. The war comment got people triggered. Lmao.

Happy New Year!
I'm with this guy.

Admittedly things are a bit different w Porsches where production numbers aren't as high and various options differentiate each car quite substantially, so you can't really e-mail/call 5-10 dealers with each having 10+ identical cars on their lot, comping them for the best price, but still, buying at MSRP or a few % under for a new car, you're definitely leaving money on the table. That's just money you're giving away for no reason.

Now if it's that unicorn CPO w the perfect build sheet, that you can't gamble with, especially guys in my area they ****** up those cars within hours.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:07 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,688 Likes on 1,426 Posts

You guys are reading far too much into this. It’s a simple business deal. You work out what you’re prepared to pay, speak to maybe 2-3 dealers, tell them what you’d like. If the answer is yes everyone is happy. If the answer is no be prepared to walk away.

After a couple of years the few hundred bucks you could’ve ‘saved’ by being a pr..k will be distant memory after depreciation has done its thing.
Old 12-30-2017, 04:34 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 618 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij

I have some free time so here are some thoughts.

To begin with, I thought invoice was 10% off of the base price and 20% on options on a 911. (I am sure there are incentives and such too, but that is the baseline). I wish Nick’s spreadsheet had that function.

Take a 2017 C2S: $103,400 base price has $10,340 in profit. Add 30k in options, it has $16,340 in profit. 8% off the no option car, $2068 for the dealer. 8% off the high option car, $5668 in profit —2.5 times as much.

High option cars have more money in them and a higher profit percentage and you can get more off them. That is also why it is rare to see strippers on the lot.

DEALERS KNOW THIS AND ACT ACCORDINGLY, CUSTOMERS SEEM NOT TO KNOW AND DON’T.

Also, who did better? They guy who got 8% off a stripper or the guy who got 9% off the high option car? Dealer made more money on the latter.

One technique i have used is to negotate a profit for the dealer. $1000 over invoice on whatever I want and no dealer fees (for example), everything else at cost (if you want extras/financing etc.). I am the easiest customer, but far from the most profitable. I always pay cash, I never have a trade, I know exactly what I want, I never test drive, and I don’t buy extras. I had to go to great lengths to buy a GT3, but on everything else, I generally say what I am willing to pay, get it in an email, and then show up with a check.

Dont focus on “out the door” or especially payments, understand each fee and number and which are profit for the dealer and which are not (ie tags are fixed cost, but some dealers charge a doc fee which is more).

I used to really enjoy the game, pitting dealer against dealer, buying far away etc. With my job, I do a lot of negotiating, and I have found (1) take it or leave it, best and final is the way to go and (2) I despise the process of negotiating as it is distasteful. Now, I just figure out a fair price, call to get it, confirm with an email and return email (noting no dealer fees, VIN, etc etc very detailed) and show up with a check (or wire if they demand it). If I don’t buy it, oh well, I have enough cars already. Lol.

I am also a cash buyer (and multiple Porsche owner) and agree on some but look at it slightly differently on some other points . I do agree that a high option car can bring senseless expenses and I do feel that a negotiation strategy strives for the best deal . On the other hand region does effect the pricing . In short buying a car in an area where the dealership has volume and where their overhead is expensive means it will cost more than buying from a desperate dealership located in a low cost area . Also when a person buys a car from a dealership for 20 years both parties get to know each other . In many ways we grew up together (or grew old together) . So for me the objective is getting a price we can all feel ok with and I even feel they feel the same . It's usually a bit more than the real bargain hunter might get but less than the newbie might pay.

I feel its nice to develop a relationship with those who sell and care for the car . One time I unexpectedly saw my car was having problems years ago . I broke down one block from the dealership . Service was already closed , There was only one salesman there locking up the door . He got out and helped me push my car into the service drive at which point I realized i had no money. He called a cab and paid for my ride home and told he he would have driven me but had dinner plans . I had not even bought a car from him . Another time in the midst of car shopping I dropped a blank (unsigned) check in the dealership . I got a call the moment i got home .
This type of personalized customer service makes the experience fun so when I hear about their personal lives I am happy that for 20 years I have been part of it .
This type of thing makes a Porsche ownership above nickel and dime buying for me but it didn't happen overnight . It took many cars and many years .
Old 12-30-2017, 05:40 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

I think you and I agree on pretty much everything. Well, I disagree about one point and that is that the volume dealers I think give better deals generally.

Originally Posted by yrralis1
I am also a cash buyer (and multiple Porsche owner) and agree on some but look at it slightly differently on some other points . I do agree that a high option car can bring senseless expenses and I do feel that a negotiation strategy strives for the best deal . On the other hand region does effect the pricing . In short buying a car in an area where the dealership has volume and where their overhead is expensive means it will cost more than buying from a desperate dealership located in a low cost area . Also when a person buys a car from a dealership for 20 years both parties get to know each other . In many ways we grew up together (or grew old together) . So for me the objective is getting a price we can all feel ok with and I even feel they feel the same . It's usually a bit more than the real bargain hunter might get but less than the newbie might pay.

I feel its nice to develop a relationship with those who sell and care for the car . One time I unexpectedly saw my car was having problems years ago . I broke down one block from the dealership . Service was already closed , There was only one salesman there locking up the door . He got out and helped me push my car into the service drive at which point I realized i had no money. He called a cab and paid for my ride home and told he he would have driven me but had dinner plans . I had not even bought a car from him . Another time in the midst of car shopping I dropped a blank (unsigned) check in the dealership . I got a call the moment i got home .
This type of personalized customer service makes the experience fun so when I hear about their personal lives I am happy that for 20 years I have been part of it .
This type of thing makes a Porsche ownership above nickel and dime buying for me but it didn't happen overnight . It took many cars and many years .

Quick Reply: Nick Murray Porsche negotiation