Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nick Murray drops a new video on YouTube. Tuned .2 vs stock .2

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 06:45 PM
Mark993TT
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I have driven a 993 turbo with a cargraphic stage 1 tune for 8 years. No fuel efficiency gains. Not that I was going for any efficiency records. Maybe I drive it to hard. I don’t drive my Porsche’s as a daily driver. And living near the German autobahn the extra power gets used most of the time. Or maybe with the new cars it’s exactly the other way around. Although I find that very hard to believe.

Comparing the 991.2 base, S and GTS, how do those fuel efficiency data turn out? Basically tuned versions of the same base engine.
Old 12-24-2017, 06:58 PM
mikex25

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

And the tuned car has heavier 21 inch wheels and still walked him like that
Old 12-24-2017, 08:04 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Is this simply a software tune and no other changes? If so, that's probably the way I would go with my car. On the other hand, my GTS is already so fast and powerful enough to get me into trouble on most public roads in just second gear...
Old 12-24-2017, 08:04 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Very interesting!
Old 12-24-2017, 08:37 PM
LnC993
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
Wow. That is a huge difference for only $2000. GIAC is going to get some business I suspect. I was surprised that the tune also gives the car better MPG.
Some VW cars use to come with a free software that gives car more power and better real world MPG, but the EPA pull the plug on them.
Old 12-24-2017, 09:16 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

Something to think about if I get bored with my 991.2 GTS. Would be like getting a new car for $2K, good deal.
Old 12-24-2017, 09:38 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,541 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Originally Posted by bwiele
Is this simply a software tune and no other changes? If so, that's probably the way I would go with my car. On the other hand, my GTS is already so fast and powerful enough to get me into trouble on most public roads in just second gear...
Yes, software only.
Old 12-24-2017, 09:39 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,541 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark993TT
I have driven a 993 turbo with a cargraphic stage 1 tune for 8 years. No fuel efficiency gains. Not that I was going for any efficiency records. Maybe I drive it to hard. I don’t drive my Porsche’s as a daily driver. And living near the German autobahn the extra power gets used most of the time. Or maybe with the new cars it’s exactly the other way around. Although I find that very hard to believe.

Comparing the 991.2 base, S and GTS, how do those fuel efficiency data turn out? Basically tuned versions of the same base engine.
Yeah, that makes sense. On an ECU that old, I wouldn't expect any fuel economy gains. Must be fun to push that bad boy on the autobahn though.

Old 12-24-2017, 10:20 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

On the GTS, those numbers would give a turbo a run for its money. Porsche may be cannibalizing turbo sales if one can pick up a GTS (for $35K less than a turbo) and for $2K get similar performance...
Old 12-24-2017, 10:23 PM
usccharles
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 82 Posts

Would these tunes be safe for regular track outings where one is really pushing the car in the red for a good amount of time? I’m sure it’s been tested to be within the limits of the drivetrain and engine’s oem state, but I wonder how realistically and reliably the engine can hold up to the extra boost over prolonged periods of hard use on the track. Not that I need the extra power on my 4 GTS but the boy inside me sure thinks this is tempting!!

any real world experience from members here?
Old 12-24-2017, 10:30 PM
usccharles
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 82 Posts

Will these tunes even pass emessions?

Disclaimer from GIAC

GIAC is a wholesale manufacturer that sells software to independent retailers. If you are considering purchase or have purchased GIAC software, please refer to the information below. If you have any further questions, please contact us at Sales@GIACusa.com.

Motor racing is extremely hazardous, and death may occur. GIAC products have no warranty or representations made with the ability to protect against injury or death. Motor racing, aggressive driving, including driving for any period of time at full throttle, and car modifications of any kind that facilitate aggressive driving may reduce the useful life of the car and any of its wearable parts. Improving the performance of an engine by altering the engine's computer software may cause the engine to "work harder" and could result in damage to the car. The user assumes these risks. GIAC is not responsible for damage to a car of this kind.

All GIAC products are intended for racing/closed course competition use only and to be used in "racing vehicles" as defined by Section 2260 of the California Code of Regulations (CCR). According to California Air Resource Board advisory number 397, a "racing vehicle (defined in CCR Section 2260(a)(29.5) means a vehicle that: (A) Is exclusively operated in conjunction with sanctioned racing events; (B) Exhibits racing features and modifications such that it is incapable of safe and practical street or highway use; (C) Is not licensed by the State of California Department of Motor Vehicles for operation on public streets or highways; and (D) Is never operated on public streets or highways. Racing vehicles are exempted from California Air Resources Board (CARB) vehicular air pollution control requirements in section 43001 of the California Health and Safety Code".

GIAC's products fall under the Air Resource Board's Competition Use Only classification. Competition Use Only Parts may not be sold or used on an automobile that is used on or off the public highways other than those automobiles used exclusively for competition. Competition Use Only Parts are aftermarket parts that replace or otherwise interfere with the operation of an emission control device, such as a catalytic converter or oxygen sensor, and may be sold and used on an automobile that is used only for closed course competition.

These parts are legal for use only in competition racing vehicles as defined under California law, and are not legal for use in any other motor vehicle. Use of these parts in any other vehicle may subject you to fines and penalties for violation of federal and/or state law and can void your vehicle's warranty. All of the items GIAC sells have not been tested or approved by any federal or local governing agency and are not approved or recommended for street use. Understanding the legal requirements or legal limitations regarding the use of this product is the sole responsibility of the user. GIAC is not responsible or liable for errors or omissions. Prices are subject to change without notice.

Old 12-24-2017, 10:39 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by usccharles
Will these tunes even pass emessions?

Disclaimer from GIAC

GIAC is a wholesale manufacturer that sells software to independent retailers. If you are considering purchase or have purchased GIAC software, please refer to the information below. If you have any further questions, please contact us at Sales@GIACusa.com.

Motor racing is extremely hazardous, and death may occur. GIAC products have no warranty or representations made with the ability to protect against injury or death. Motor racing, aggressive driving, including driving for any period of time at full throttle, and car modifications of any kind that facilitate aggressive driving may reduce the useful life of the car and any of its wearable parts. Improving the performance of an engine by altering the engine's computer software may cause the engine to "work harder" and could result in damage to the car. The user assumes these risks. GIAC is not responsible for damage to a car of this kind.

All GIAC products are intended for racing/closed course competition use only and to be used in "racing vehicles" as defined by Section 2260 of the California Code of Regulations (CCR). According to California Air Resource Board advisory number 397, a "racing vehicle (defined in CCR Section 2260(a)(29.5) means a vehicle that: (A) Is exclusively operated in conjunction with sanctioned racing events; (B) Exhibits racing features and modifications such that it is incapable of safe and practical street or highway use; (C) Is not licensed by the State of California Department of Motor Vehicles for operation on public streets or highways; and (D) Is never operated on public streets or highways. Racing vehicles are exempted from California Air Resources Board (CARB) vehicular air pollution control requirements in section 43001 of the California Health and Safety Code".

GIAC's products fall under the Air Resource Board's Competition Use Only classification. Competition Use Only Parts may not be sold or used on an automobile that is used on or off the public highways other than those automobiles used exclusively for competition. Competition Use Only Parts are aftermarket parts that replace or otherwise interfere with the operation of an emission control device, such as a catalytic converter or oxygen sensor, and may be sold and used on an automobile that is used only for closed course competition.

These parts are legal for use only in competition racing vehicles as defined under California law, and are not legal for use in any other motor vehicle. Use of these parts in any other vehicle may subject you to fines and penalties for violation of federal and/or state law and can void your vehicle's warranty. All of the items GIAC sells have not been tested or approved by any federal or local governing agency and are not approved or recommended for street use. Understanding the legal requirements or legal limitations regarding the use of this product is the sole responsibility of the user. GIAC is not responsible or liable for errors or omissions. Prices are subject to change without notice.

There's no way you'll fail emissions on a software tune that turns up the boost. You'd fail a sniffer test if you went catless.

.1 owners, welcome your .2 overlords
The following users liked this post:
Bulldawgfan1000 (02-11-2021)
Old 12-24-2017, 10:44 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,901 Likes on 4,823 Posts

Can I ask what people intend to do with all that extra power? Or why it's even desired?

I can't recall the last time I got behind the wheel of a 911 (991 GT3, 997 GT3 RS, 991 TTS, 991.2 C2, 991.1 C4S etc.) and thought to myself, "****, I wish this thing had more power, if only ..."

Is the chassis of the cars (suspension, etc.) setup to even take advantage of an additional 50-100 hp?

This reminds me of all those Nissan GT-R Frankenmonsters cranking out 1500 hp at the crank, with drivers struggling to point that thing in a straight line with just the lightest touch of the throttle.
Old 12-24-2017, 10:51 PM
NightBlue
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm curious, since this is a software tune, can it be programmed to turn on/off depending on whether the manettino is in Normal, Sport, or Sport+ mode? That would be ideal for street driving.
Old 12-24-2017, 10:52 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Can I ask what people intend to do with all that extra power? Or why it's even desired?.
Well, porsche could have stopped at 120 hp I guess. People seem to always want more power on their newer car

Quick Reply: Nick Murray drops a new video on YouTube. Tuned .2 vs stock .2