Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any new backup camera retrofits for 991.1?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 04:41 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Any new backup camera retrofits for 991.1?

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9104...installed.html

I did a search here and came across this old thread (that I actually posted in at the time). Since then the newer models have backup cameras from the factory, so are there Porsche backup cameras that you can buy and have installed at the dealer? I was really hoping for one with gridlines that work when you turn the wheel. Today I doing a reenactment of this scene trying to get out of a tight parking space (without hitting anything) and wish I had a backup camera.

Old 12-16-2017, 06:22 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

I don't believe Porsche is going to offer a "retrofit" package for the 991.1 cars that didn't already come with the option. Never say never, but there would need to be a wiring harness/adapter change for the rear, and perhaps other stuff to do so which from my own opinion Porsche hasn't been too quick to offer for other options in the past. With that said, you CAN source all the parts to DIY using the OE equipment. Check part # 95B-980-551-L which is the rear camera, which can be had for something like $210 discounted. This is ONLY the camera -- you would need the wiring harness, holder, and so on. I think there is also a new controller that you might need. Not sure. On top of that, you will need Porsche to add the option to your car in PIWIS, which I am not sure they would do on a car without PDC or paying for PDC w/Rear Camera.... but worth asking. If you do all the work yourself, I can't imaging the cost to program the option at the stealer would be too bad.

Hmmm... now ya got me thinking about a little project for my '15 GTS! LOL
Old 12-16-2017, 08:43 PM
saa106
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

One of the options I do wish I had. If anyone has a good solution/answer, I'll jump on it like a duck on a june bug.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:50 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

I had an aftermarket backup camera installed in my 2014 C4S. It didn't have the grid lines that turned with the wheel, but it was still substantially better than no camera at all. If you feel you need one, and have a PCM that can take camera inputs, don't let the lack of an official camera stop you.

I will say that just the ultrasonic sensors alone are a big help if you're doing the tight maneuvers in a parking garage thing.
Old 12-17-2017, 12:53 AM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad
I had an aftermarket backup camera installed in my 2014 C4S. It didn't have the grid lines that turned with the wheel, but it was still substantially better than no camera at all. If you feel you need one, and have a PCM that can take camera inputs, don't let the lack of an official camera stop you.

I will say that just the ultrasonic sensors alone are a big help if you're doing the tight maneuvers in a parking garage thing.
The sensors were a big help today. The thing is it was red on both front and rear when I was trying to get out. It was that close. I actually got out of the car to check a few times.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:14 AM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Yeah, that's brutal. I've yet to be in a red in front and back situation. I had the Surround View cameras in my Panamera, which meant I had a front camera as well as a rear camera, plus cameras looking down, and I never really saw much point in the front camera. Maybe it would have come into play in a situation like you describe.
Old 03-08-2021, 02:40 PM
sirtom
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Curious if there are any camera upgrades for the 991.2 available anywhere aftermarket?

Would love to plug in a higher quality camera with better resolution and/or low light capability.

The camera does not match the high resolution of the screen of the 991.2.
Old 03-08-2021, 10:48 PM
Scottg1le
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by sirtom
Curious if there are any camera upgrades for the 991.2 available anywhere aftermarket?

Would love to plug in a higher quality camera with better resolution and/or low light capability.

The camera does not match the high resolution of the screen of the 991.2.
Nav-Tv should have what you are looking for. Your radio will likely need to be opened and modified.
Old 03-08-2021, 10:50 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts

NavTv
Old 03-09-2021, 09:32 AM
Schorsch
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 71 Posts

found this – might help:

The following users liked this post:
z168 (05-22-2022)
Old 03-09-2021, 11:01 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,957 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by Schorsch
found this – might help:

https://youtu.be/6L1yrxkhExw
I have followed that exact video (and a couple others) to add the Aliexpress sourced NavTV in my wife's Cayenne, over a year later still working fine, no issues, love the carplay features and OEM backup camera still works.

Link to the module I bought:

CarPlay module (link fixed)

be forewarned that you do have to open your PCM (after removing from car). It seems WAY more complicated than it is, if you have ever added any RAM to your computer over the years, its pretty much as difficult.

Last edited by desmotesta; 03-09-2021 at 11:21 AM.
Old 03-09-2021, 05:09 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 927 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by desmotesta
I have followed that exact video (and a couple others) to add the Aliexpress sourced NavTV in my wife's Cayenne, over a year later still working fine, no issues, love the carplay features and OEM backup camera still works.

Link to the module I bought:

CarPlay module (link fixed)

be forewarned that you do have to open your PCM (after removing from car). It seems WAY more complicated than it is, if you have ever added any RAM to your computer over the years, its pretty much as difficult.
IMO the hardest part is actually disassembling the car and making all the modules fit back in. The install of the ribbon cables are pretty easy otherwise.
The following users liked this post:
desmotesta (03-09-2021)
Old 03-10-2021, 05:02 PM
sirtom
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Actually I already have the 991.2 with PCM and camera system - just looking to upgrade the optics of the existing camera.

Does anyone know if the 992 or other model (Taycan / Panamera / Cayenne / Macan) cameras are compatible to plug into the existing wiring harness, and if so, if it would be an optical upgrade?

The video quality is poor compared to the resolution of the screen on the 991.2. And particularly poor low light capability at night.
Old 03-11-2021, 02:08 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,957 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by sirtom
Actually I already have the 991.2 with PCM and camera system - just looking to upgrade the optics of the existing camera.

Does anyone know if the 992 or other model (Taycan / Panamera / Cayenne / Macan) cameras are compatible to plug into the existing wiring harness, and if so, if it would be an optical upgrade?

The video quality is poor compared to the resolution of the screen on the 991.2. And particularly poor low light capability at night.
this is a really good question, but I am pessimistic about finding an answer. Adding an aftermarket higher quality camera that claims plug and play may be easier and simpler

Quick Reply: Any new backup camera retrofits for 991.1?