SottoZero review after 750 miles

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 11:42 AM
allfour
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SottoZero review after 750 miles

J

I bit the bullet and ordered Porsche’s winter package. My dealer did the swap and is storing my summer set. (Leigh price was less than suncoast, without asking). I’ve driven 749 miles since Monday when they were installed. I’m very impressed with the grip, traction, and ride comfort. The traction control and abs behave well with the car set to winter tires, and the car is easier to finesse at the limit than summer tires in cold temps. Bring on winter!

2017 C4S
code: PH4HVJJ6
14,297 miles since April 26th
Old 12-07-2017, 04:39 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,277 Likes on 766 Posts

Originally Posted by allfour
I bit the bullet and ordered Porsche’s winter package. My dealer did the swap and is storing my summer set. (Leigh price was less than suncoast, without asking). I’ve driven 749 miles since Monday when they were installed. I’m very impressed with the grip, traction, and ride comfort. The traction control and abs behave well with the car set to winter tires, and the car is easier to finesse at the limit than summer tires in cold temps. Bring on winter!
Similar experience here with my Alpin PA4s which makes me wonder how good they'll be on snow & ice.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:44 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Modern performance winter tires are ridiculously capable.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:46 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Look at those sipes!
Old 12-07-2017, 04:58 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

LOL @ winter tires. I gets down to 50 sometimes haha
Old 12-07-2017, 06:06 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 322 Likes on 194 Posts

Those are works of art. Its a shame to drive on them!!
Old 12-07-2017, 06:29 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 402 Posts

Very chunky thread on the Pirellis. I ordered a 19-inch winter wheel set from my dealer in August and got Contis. They are extremely good. Very good grip and strangely, less noisy than my summer P zeros.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:32 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by allfour

J

2017 C4S
code: PH4HVJJ6
14,297 miles since April 26th
1g on winter tires! Wow.

I had no idea that modern winter tires were that capable on dry pavement. Its been over ten years since I ran my last set and I was very disappointed with dry (and wet) road traction and turn-in responsiveness at that time. Been running A/S tires ever since. Maybe time to rethink...
Old 12-07-2017, 06:40 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
LOL @ winter tires. I gets down to 50 sometimes haha
High 30's / low 40's and rainy here in South Tejas means the Neun-elfer has been in the garage. I am glad that I'm able to run summers all year here but couldn't do that on a daily. And good snows are a life saver. I remember my 2001 Pathfinder came with such crappy Bridgestones that I actually had to put winters on it.....Pilot Alpins. Man, that thing was a freaking TANK with snows on it and locked 4WD.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:00 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

I'd be interested to read a follow up post of how the Sottozero's do on snow, especially uphill. I've had mixed experience with them in the past.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:10 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueNorther
I'd be interested to read a follow up post of how the Sottozero's do on snow, especially uphill. I've had mixed experience with them in the past.
I can't wait til it snows so that I can take the car out and try them!!

I do find them quite a bit noisier than the P-zeros but I've probably only done a few hundred miles since I put them on.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:02 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
High 30's / low 40's and rainy here in South Tejas means the Neun-elfer has been in the garage. I am glad that I'm able to run summers all year here but couldn't do that on a daily. And good snows are a life saver. I remember my 2001 Pathfinder came with such crappy Bridgestones that I actually had to put winters on it.....Pilot Alpins. Man, that thing was a freaking TANK with snows on it and locked 4WD.
Cold has finally hit CT and the 911 is going to sit for bit. I'll have to put up with the Cayenne Diesel and my Tiguan. I also had a 2001 Pathfinder LE with Bridgestones. On the first snow drive I couldn't believe how bloody awful it was. Never really liked that truck. Rode like crap and swilled premium fuel. Sold it after two years and the buyer who I kept in touch with emailed me a year or so later his wife totaled it after driving on snow. She was fine.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:52 AM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,277 Likes on 766 Posts

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
Cold has finally hit CT and the 911 is going to sit for bit. I'll have to put up with the Cayenne Diesel and my Tiguan. I also had a 2001 Pathfinder LE with Bridgestones. On the first snow drive I couldn't believe how bloody awful it was. Never really liked that truck. Rode like crap and swilled premium fuel. Sold it after two years and the buyer who I kept in touch with emailed me a year or so later his wife totaled it after driving on snow. She was fine.
What Bridgestones were you using?

Last edited by .2PDK; 12-08-2017 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:32 AM
verstraete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueNorther
I have also been somewhat disappointed with Sottozero's on a 991 C2 while trying to climb a snow covered hill that leads to my house. I had no difficulty climbing it in the past with a variety of High-Performance RWD American V-8s and a 944S.

To use Tire Rack terminology, the Sottozero's are Winter Performance Tires, not Studdless Ice and Snow Tires, like those I used on the other vehicles. Studdless Ice and Snow Tires don't seem to be available in the US in 991 sizes. According the Tire Rack, Winter Performance Tires give up some snow and ice performance for enhanced cold dry road performance.

Porsche uses studded Nokians on the 991's at their Winter Driving Experiences for the highest level snow and ice performance.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:43 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 138 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by verstraete
I have also been somewhat disappointed with Sottozero's on a 991 C2 while trying to climb a snow covered hill that leads to my house. I had no difficulty climbing it in the past with a variety of High-Performance RWD American V-8s and a 944S.

To use Tire Rack terminology, the Sottozero's are Winter Performance Tires, not Studdless Ice and Snow Tires, like those I used on the other vehicles. Studdless Ice and Snow Tires don't seem to be available in the US in 991 sizes. According the Tire Rack, Winter Performance Tires give up some snow and ice performance for enhanced cold dry road performance.

Porsche uses studded Nokians on the 991's at their Winter Driving Experiences for the highest level snow and ice performance.
Not sure where you live but I'm in a snow belt and we have very few days where roads are entirely covered in snow. I've always used Performance winters. Safer/better/more fun when roads are clear and cold and pretty good on snow. . Having said that, on crazy snow days I take SQ5 on Scorpion (performance) winters. Beast.

Quick Reply: SottoZero review after 750 miles