Sponsored by:

Tire Storage

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 01:02 PM
Jammin
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tire Storage

What is the best (correct) way to store tires between seasons. Stacked horizontal ok? Do I need something under them if stored on a concrete floor? Dealer has them now and will be changing to snows next week.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:05 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 857 Likes on 432 Posts

I made some DIY dollies to store mine in the garage which makes them easy to move around.

Got the idea off another Rennlister.

Last edited by CSK 911 C4S; 12-05-2017 at 01:29 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:38 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 84 Posts

I store mine individually wrapped in plastic, then covered with an electric blanket for those cold winter nights,
Old 12-05-2017, 02:40 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,368 Likes on 1,534 Posts

Sleeve them so UV rays don't regrade the rubber. If going in a basement, away from the furnace.
Old 12-05-2017, 02:47 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
I made some DIY dollies to store mine in the garage which makes them easy to move around.
Me too. And I have covers for them, too.

Old 12-05-2017, 03:13 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by BradB
Me too. And I have covers for them, too.
Some of you guys have the most amazing garages. That floor is clearly not straight concrete, it has some sort of coating that makes it moderately reflective. I have no idea how you manage to keep them so clean - my very proletarian garage gets stuff tracked in like leaves, and some water seepage from the pathway between house and garage where the garage is downhill from the path. Which I'd fret about if it were going into the house rather than the garage.

As for tire storage, I wanted to get one of those purpose-built tire racks, but I have limited wall space in the garage. It's all covered with pegboard holding up tools, bicycles, and the like. What I ended up doing was storing them on the bottom shelf of some steel shelving, vertical orientation.

For a while they were on the top shelf. That was unwise - getting them on and off the shelf was an ordeal, particularly once I shifted from storing tires to storing wheel + tire sets.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:32 PM
ENCT
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 195 Posts

My dealer has a program where they swap out the tires and store them for me, does your dealer have this option? They actually do my cay, my wife's S5, and my son's S3. Tires are stored in a heated warehouse.
Eric
Old 12-05-2017, 03:42 PM
Jammin
Rennlist Member

Dealer will do this but is 2 hours away (110) miles. They get busy and it is difficult to arrange the transport. I would like more control of the change over. However, now that I see pictures of how large they are off the car, I don't think that I can transport them myself to the local tire guy for the switch. My long term tire service center used to store the tires for all my cars, but they closed up shop and the new guys won't store tires.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:20 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

My experience with a cabriolet is that I can fit 3 tires in the car - one rear in the passenger seat, and 2 fronts in the rear. Getting a tire into the rear area is tougher with a coupe, but I suspect you can get one back there without too much difficulty. This means 2 trips, regardless.

My local tire shop is 1/2 mile away, so making 2 trips is no big deal. One time I did 3, because I absent-mindedly forgot to put the rear tire in the passenger seat, and only put 1 in the rear. Whether you can put up with this depends on the distance to your local tire shop.

Some guys insist on changing their wheels themselves. I haven't taken it up because I estimate I need about $400 of tools I don't have, I'm lazy, and my local tire shop only charges me $20 to change four wheels. I thought about it anyway just because I like tools.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:50 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

I thought about letting the dealer do it but I wanted to give them a thorough clean when I took them off - which I did - and they are like brand new again. Not sure how that would work with the dealer.

I also Rejex'd the winters before they went on and the summers will get the same treatment before they go back on - every inch including inside the rims and the lip on the back. Again, if someone else is doing the changeover you lose that opportunity.

I have them stacked in the basement with some packaging in-between just to avoid any scratching.

The extra benefit of doing my own change this year (and did the same on my wifes X5) was that my 16 year old did pretty much the entire job and now understands how to jack a car, what a wheel stud pin is, what a torque wrench is and how to use it etc.. That's priceless!
Old 12-05-2017, 06:44 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 402 Posts

If the tires can be stored in a heated garage, wrapped in plastic or cloth, that is best. Don't subject them to temperature extremes when the rubber can crack. If a heated basement is available, the tires can be brought inside.
I am having my summer tires tires stored at the dealer for 250 bucks a year including both summer and winter tires.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:38 PM
Jammin
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the ideas. I may bring them home and lug them down into the basement. I have a garage to basement stairway. Hard part will be getting them up the stairs though.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:09 PM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 178 Posts

Old 12-05-2017, 09:14 PM
Jammin
Rennlist Member

/\ Like!
Old 12-05-2017, 09:41 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Yeah, that's basically what I was talking about. You store them vertically, but with a bar in front of them to keep them from rolling. Though in my case the "bar" was a length of 2 by 4, not a steel bracket, when it was up top. (Lifting the damn things that high is not pleasant). Now that they're on the bottom shelf, the "bar" is part of the shelving.

My setup is not nearly as nice looking as what BlazinPond's got. I'm using the disposable white plastic covers I get from the tire place, not whatever those covers are, which are much classier looking.

Quick Reply: Tire Storage