Sponsored by:

991.2 - Front spacer handling impact question

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 12:42 PM
G99x.y
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Default 991.2 - Front spacer handling impact question

The 992 is now wider track in front than rear?

" To aid front-end grip and handling, the front track is widened by 1.8 inches and the rear goes 1.5-inches further out than before. " {https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/g25587336/2020-porsche-911-tech-backgrounder-details/}

What would be impact on handling if I put, say 7 or 10 mm spacers on just the front wheels of Carrera T?

thanks in advance.
Old 03-21-2020, 01:07 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 182 Posts

I believe that means that the front is now 0.3 inches closer to the rear track but not that the front is actually wider than rear. They are only citing the change in width. I think the rear is still wider. You would need to compare the total track width front vs rear to know.
Old 03-21-2020, 03:57 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 710 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by G99x.y
The 992 is now wider track in front than rear?

" To aid front-end grip and handling, the front track is widened by 1.8 inches and the rear goes 1.5-inches further out than before. " {https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/g25587336/2020-porsche-911-tech-backgrounder-details/}

What would be impact on handling if I put, say 7 or 10 mm spacers on just the front wheels of Carrera T?

thanks in advance.
I do not interpret this as the front is now wider than the rear. The front is widened by some amount and the rear is now wide body. Both are wider but you can not conclude anything above this.
Old 03-21-2020, 04:07 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,277 Likes on 597 Posts

Handling is the result of a system—and unless someone who can beat Weissach's engineers while tuning for a different set of compromises is setting it up, it's hard to beat Porsche's setups for the 991.2 imo. The list of someones is very, very short in my experience.

Yes, the 992 benefits from a wider front track. But as much as my 991.2 would look better with big spacers up front, changing the roll center and the effect on roll couple have prevented me from making the visuals better.

With all that said, the 991.2 Carrera/S/T is crying out for a go-to spring/adjustable perch/ARB setup to take advantage of TPC's very good DSC system. If a recommended wheel/tire set that altered the front track was part of that, I'd give that strong consideration too...
Old 03-21-2020, 10:23 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Handling is the result of a system—and unless someone who can beat Weissach's engineers while tuning for a different set of compromises is setting it up, it's hard to beat Porsche's setups for the 991.2 imo. The list of someones is very, very short in my experience.

Yes, the 992 benefits from a wider front track. But as much as my 991.2 would look better with big spacers up front, changing the roll center and the effect on roll couple have prevented me from making the visuals better.

With all that said, the 991.2 Carrera/S/T is crying out for a go-to spring/adjustable perch/ARB setup to take advantage of TPC's very good DSC system. If a recommended wheel/tire set that altered the front track was part of that, I'd give that strong consideration too...
Well said. Lateral grip is a function of lots of things. Optimizing for any one condition (speed, radius, friction, etc.) may compromise grip under other conditions--and then there is steady-state vs. dynamic or transitional cornering. And changes at one end, like increases in track, may enhance grip at that end but change the front-rear balance for the worse.
Old 03-22-2020, 02:11 AM
Cheshi143
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by stout

While the 991.2 and most other Porsche models handle pretty well right out of the box, they are most certainly not optimized to their true potential. There are many changes that can be made to suit an individual driver based upon the adjustability that Porsche offers.

Old 03-22-2020, 02:18 AM
Cheshi143
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheshi143
While the 991.2 and most other Porsche models handle pretty well right out of the box, they are most certainly not optimized to their true potential. There are many changes that can be made to suit an individual driver based upon the adjustability that Porsche offers.
When you are pushing a car to 10/10ths, something as simple as wheel spacers or even heavier wheels can cause parts to prematurely fail. One great example of this was the Audi R8 LMS. Audi made a few downforce changes to the car to get it homologated to Grand AM specs. One of the changes involved running a spec 3 piece wheel. The wheel bearings failed very early in the Rolex 24, on a car that was otherwise flawless in LMS configuration. The wheel bearings continued to fail and the Audi engineers soon figured out it was the wheels. In order to get around the rules, they had to create a new race team based out of the UK in order to run the monoblock wheels from the LMS car. From that point forward, no wheel bearing failures.
Old 03-22-2020, 04:19 AM
G99x.y
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Very useful. Thanks for all the help.

im not interested in looks just better handling.
Old 03-22-2020, 11:44 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,442 Posts

The easiest way to make a car handle better is buying better tires.
Old 03-22-2020, 01:57 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,957 Likes on 935 Posts

Very interesting and informative conversation (not to mention civil, a rarity these days)

I would like to add that regardless of how Senna-like our skills and subsequent speed is on the street, its not really outright pace or MPH through a certain curve we are chasing, very few of us have hardware for true telemetry anyways

what we are all chasing is the "feel" and "communication" from the front and rear... That, for sure can be improved on any car, even the 987/997s that seem to have far better "feel" that the 991.x series can be improved.

Agree on the tires.. my cayman had contis and car felt like absolute crap... moved to M-4s and its like I had a whole new car.. my 991 has pirellis and they are pure garbage as well

I am on a quest to lighten all four corners (Girodisc rotors, titanium wheel bolts and eventually lighter wheels) and am reading up on which suspension pieces (from GT3) would make the greatest difference in "feel".. I just want more feel... thats all

Quick Reply: 991.2 - Front spacer handling impact question