Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the best Porsche magazine?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 10:59 AM
Northern 911
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What is the best Porsche magazine?

I am looking to purchase a monthly Porsche magazine subscription. Can anyone tell me what the best Porsche magazine is? I have looked at a bunch online but I am not sure which to buy (Excellence, Total 911?). Thanks!
Old 11-29-2017, 11:04 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

I get Excellence every month. The PCA magazine Panorama is great too. These two and Christophorus all arrive within a few days of one another....oh baby!
The following users liked this post:
TurboS_GG (01-14-2020)
Old 11-29-2017, 11:14 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

The various publications all have something to offer.

But ..... the magazine of all magazines. The true exclusive Porsche option.

Quarterly mag. Stout is a Rennlister too and on this board.

Name:  photo488.jpg
Views: 4784
Size:  172.8 KB

https://www.000magazine.com/the-magazine/#page-1

https://petrolicious.com/articles/00...ctions-therein
The following 2 users liked this post by STG:
ducktails (01-13-2020), minh (01-12-2020)
Old 11-29-2017, 12:17 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

I like Total 911 as it focuses on the 911 Model only. I may add 000 thanks to STGs recommendation. Wasn’t award of that one but at $250 per year for 4 volumes it’s a bit hard to hit the ‘subscribe’ button.

STG any Rennlist discounts you can muster up for us
Old 11-29-2017, 12:34 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

I also like Panorama and Total 911. Will take a look at 000 as well.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:04 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
The various publications all have something to offer.
I haven't been too impressed with Christophorus. Usually it has some pretty nice photos, but the stories always seem to be absolute fluff, even when it's something that interests me specifically. Sometimes it isn't so great even as a photo magazine. If you're going to do a story about 919's at LeMans, I want to see the damn car, not someone's cartoon of the car with "vrooom! vroom!" captions. This month's "Porsche paintings" spread didn't do much for me either, though it was better than the cartoon issue.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:11 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

I like Excellence and Total 911 and subscribe to both.

I find $250 absolutely ridiculous for a subscription for 4 issues for the other. My personal opinion is no content can be good enough to justify that cost. Exclusivity in a magazine is just silly. Magazines to me are to read when I have a few minutes and throw away when I am done.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:24 PM
Northern 911
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for all the input. I am a PCA member and therefore I also receive Panorama and I enjoy it but I prefer to read about more recent model P-cars. Panorama tends to focus more on older P-models that have been restored and there are very few articles about newer cars (991 gen). I agree that Christophorus is quite disappointing. I had considered subscribing to Total 911 but I like to read about other models as well (even though the 911 is what I am most interested in). I currently own a 991.2 GTS. I would like to read more articles about 991's (GT and non-GT) and 718's etc. Does 000 have a good mix of new and old? Cheers.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:39 PM
dbk123
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I've really like Excellence - I've found it to be extremely well written and to contain very good photography (I am an avid photographer myself). In addition, the column aimed at diagnosing reader's technical problems is just fantastic.
scr1244 (01-12-2020)
Old 11-29-2017, 01:44 PM
Mark993TT
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I have been subscribed to Total911 for years. Having some problems right now to renew my subscription for next year.

In the past I also bought 911 & Porsche World.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:56 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad
I haven't been too impressed with Christophorus. Usually it has some pretty nice photos, but the stories always seem to be absolute fluff, even when it's something that interests me specifically. Sometimes it isn't so great even as a photo magazine. If you're going to do a story about 919's at LeMans, I want to see the damn car, not someone's cartoon of the car with "vrooom! vroom!" captions. This month's "Porsche paintings" spread didn't do much for me either, though it was better than the cartoon issue.
Christophorus sucks unless you need to know which watch to wear at the country club.
ducktails (01-13-2020)
Old 11-29-2017, 01:58 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by wareaglescott
I like Excellence and Total 911 and subscribe to both.

I find $250 absolutely ridiculous for a subscription for 4 issues for the other. My personal opinion is no content can be good enough to justify that cost. Exclusivity in a magazine is just silly. Magazines to me are to read when I have a few minutes and throw away when I am done.
Yes it is high, too high for me to justify. But I don’t read magazines and throw them away. I collect and keep them until I run out of space, re-reading them often. I do the same with books. So I view it as more of a book and that to me makes the cost more reasonable.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:58 PM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a recent Thread like this and ending up ordering Total 911 a few days ago. Also got Autoweek for a general car mag.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:39 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,276 Likes on 596 Posts

Thanks for the comments—for and against.

I understand the reservations with 000 at $250, and had them myself while doing the business plan. A few thoughts to answer the criticism/doubts, obviously coming from a point of bias, but hopefully nevertheless helpful for perspective:

-I did $25-50 Porsche magazines for 18 years at Excellence and Panorama, Understand that business model well (the advertisers are paying for the magazine, primarily and get 55-65% of the pages), and there is nothing wrong with it. However, I wanted to try something different.

-A lot of readers told me Excellence and Panorama were too nice to throw away. I agree, as I save my old issues. But I started to wonder what an even nicer magazine to save might be like, crafted at a different price point with no or very little advertising.

-One guy in a focus group was skeptical about the $250 price point (as was I, which is why we did a focus group), but then asked, "What do I pay for one front tire for my 911? And you're going to give me information I can't get anywhere else, in a format that could become collectible?"

-To the idea that no content is worth $250, I simply as: What does a concert or evening at a theatre cost? And if you add dinner? How many hours of enjoyment are gained, and is there anything tangible as a keepsake other than the ticket stub or program? Anything you'd leave out on a coffee table?

Our take with 000 is that 1) people's time—and shelf space–is limited and 2) Porsche as a subject is worthy of art-level coverage. 000 doesn't endeavor to replace Panorama or Excellence—or Rennlist. It merely endeavors to add something to the Porsche landscape and dig deeper into subjects that are often missed in books, or that simply can't be covered in the 3-15 page articles in typical car magazines.

YMMV, and I heartily encourage support of Excellence and Panorama. They're where I came from, and a lot of freelancers I've worked with and continue to work with are still supported by those magazines.

Best,

Pete Stout
Editor, 000 Magazine
Old 11-29-2017, 03:32 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 139 Posts

You didn't specify which era you were most interested in... For 991 contents:

Excellence (not as good as when Pete was running it but cheap and decent),
Pano (not as good as when Pete was running it but comes with PCA membership and decent),
911& porsche world ("Look! the car we just featured in this article is for sale, call us here" - no joke)
Total 911 - all of which available on Ipad for peanuts BTW

For older car contents only:
Classic Porsche (UK)
Esses (pub by early 911S reg)
356 registry magazine

Then there is 000, addressed above... That one seems to be more old car centric....so far (which is fine by me and am sure will change), but technically I hesitate to call it a magazine... It's the size of 3 Excellence stacked together and has 1% of the ads. It's chock full of articles and rare pictures, on the artsy side to be sure, but different !

View that $250 sub as getting 4 fantastic reference books @ $62.50 each. Add exclusivity, quality writing and photography, practically zero ads (the ones in it are in the tone of the magazine and classy). It's not really a magazine as you know it ;-)

It's more of a collectible book sub than a magazine sub in my book.... It'll be worth $$$$ by the time you get alzheimer's and your wife accidentally throws them out ;-(

Quick Reply: What is the best Porsche magazine?