Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cobb Accessport~ PDK flashing. Not worth it.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 05:09 PM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 206 Likes on 99 Posts

Hey guys,

Thanks for the feedback about what y'all did and did-not like with the PDK maps. We will absolutely work to have some OEM logic maps released with the Sequential-Style custom features in the near future as requested. Stay tuned!

-Charles

PORSCHE EXPERT GROUP - TIM | GRANT | HJ | ANDREW | JARED
COBBTUNING.COM | LIKE US ON FACEBOOK | SEARCH KNOWLEDGE BASE |CONTACT US

Old 12-08-2017, 06:34 PM
simplex
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by COBB Tuning
Hey guys,

Thanks for the feedback about what y'all did and did-not like with the PDK maps. We will absolutely work to have some OEM logic maps released with the Sequential-Style custom features in the near future as requested. Stay tuned!

-Charles
Thanks! Like I've said above, I am for one extremely happy with your existing Sequential map, so please don't screw it up

I also don't understand those who bought the Cobb kit and are now saying that they thought that the original factory PDK had perfectly "read their mind". If so, what compelled them to buy the Cobb product in the first place?

I know why I did - if the factory PDK algorithm could read my mind, it would have heard nothing but expletives.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:20 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,881 Likes on 1,532 Posts

Originally Posted by virage
I am extremely happy with the Cobb Sequential PDK and 91-octane engine maps. Transformed my 991.1 - it's like I have a new car now.
Best $2K I spent.

I was considering selling the car due to the frustrating factory PDK algorithm, which short-shifted even in Sport mode. I don't always drive in Manual mode, so that was crucial to me.

Not any more. The Cobb Sequential map has given me a car which is tremendously satisfying to drive. Plus in Manual mode I now have the correct stalk shifting pattern (push to downshift, pull to upshift).

Thank you Cobb! If you're reading this, please don't change the map just because of some unhappy customers.
I assume you did not have sport-plus mode (Sport Chrono) option on your car? That is what I'm really hoping the cobb tune might help with. I've completely excluded any 991 without sport chrono from consideration as I don't like any of the PDK maps below sport +.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:56 PM
simplex
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
I assume you did not have sport-plus mode (Sport Chrono) option on your car? That is what I'm really hoping the cobb tune might help with. I've completely excluded any 991 without sport chrono from consideration as I don't like any of the PDK maps below sport +.
Correct, I don't have Sport Chrono.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:43 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,303 Likes on 887 Posts

Thanks! Like I've said above, I am for one extremely happy with your existing Sequential map, so please don't screw it up

I also don't understand those who bought the Cobb kit and are now saying that they thought that the original factory PDK had perfectly "read their mind". If so, what compelled them to buy the Cobb product in the first place?

I know why I did - if the factory PDK algorithm could read my mind, it would have heard nothing but expletives.
Speaking only for myself, I wouldn't want to buy a kit to remap the entire PDK shift program, but I would be interested if it would let me make a few minor tweaks of my own choosing.

- Normal mode should get the same shift map as Sport mode, but retain the lazy throttle map for less fatigue in heavy traffic.

- Sport mode should work about like it does now, but should hold 2nd gear a bit longer. Specifically, gearshifts shouldn't be mapped to land in the ~2800 RPM range where the Variocam transition occurs. There's one particular place where I turn onto a 50 MPH highway from a stoplight. Even when driving fairly briskly, the PDK insists on shifting from 2nd to 3rd right into that range, where the combination of engine load and RPM makes the Variocam action unusually obtrusive. To keep it from short-shifting at that particular place, I have to be more aggressive with the gas pedal than I would otherwise be, or else remember to select manual mode (which I almost always do). One of those rare instances where the PDK completely fails at its mind-reading act.

- Sport mode should shift into 7th at 75 MPH, not 70.

- Sport Plus mode should hold gears significantly longer than Sport mode, but not to redline, unless the throttle is actually near the floorboard. The way it behaves now is just goofy, not sure what they were thinking.

- User-commanded downshifts in Auto mode should be held a lot longer. If I were writing the code, it would not revert a user-commanded downshift until the upshift paddle is toggled.

- Flip the +/- polarity on the gearshift, I guess, for those who care about that. I don't.

Other than the above, don't change a thing. Trouble is, everyone will have their own list, and none of them will agree 100% with mine. Hence my thinking that a user-accessible editor is the way to go.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:21 AM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I wouldn't change sports plus..........it works very well.
Old 12-09-2017, 03:03 AM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I bought it for faster, crisper shifts.

No Creep which doesn't work the way I thought it would.

Lastly, sequential shifting.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:57 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Who cares what the shift points are? Why don’t you guys put it in M and use the paddles?
Old 12-09-2017, 05:40 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by Nino
I bought it for faster, crisper shifts.

No Creep which doesn't work the way I thought it would.

Lastly, sequential shifting.
Curious to hear your thoughts on expectations of no creep vs reality.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:19 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,303 Likes on 887 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Who cares what the shift points are? Why don’t you guys put it in M and use the paddles?

Because it's frustrating when they (meaning Porsche) get it 99% right and call it good enough, when a relatively small amount of additional engineering effort would add another '9' or two.
Old 12-10-2017, 03:45 AM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf

Curious to hear your thoughts on expectations of no creep vs reality.

My first real experience with the 991 was a base 991.2 which I used to rent for weeks at a time from Hertz for fun. Although I did rent a base 3.4 a couple times before I put nowhere near as many miles on it as the 17 .2

The 991.2 had a feature where if it was in "D" you could hard press the brake pedal and the word "HOLD" would illuminate in the tach in green letters. This would allow you to take your foot off the brake and the car would not roll forward unless you have it some throttle.

My 991.1 C4S has the same "HOLD" light but nothing happens when you hard press the brake pedal. I thought that this might have been some sort of software feature that COBB unlocked. When I installed the Cobb the "HOLD" light illuminated during the install. When I put the feature to the test it did not operate the same way as the 991.2. It's more like the car is in neutral. It won't move forward or backwards unless there is throttle applied, but it will roll forward and back if you're on a minor slope or uneven road. The .2 wouldn't do this.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:40 PM
goeslikeschnell
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you all for this thread. I was looking into buying the PDK tune for my 997.2 (I realize that this is a 991 forum, but my search brought me here), and after reading some of the opinions here, I am having reservations.

If COBB were to release a version of their product that would allow for further customization of each mode (specifically NORMAL and SPORT) I'd be strongly considering this. What a letdown.
Old 04-01-2018, 03:41 PM
Contadino
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If anyone wants to get rid of their kick down function, pm me. This is for the 991.1 and any car with the same accelerator pedal.
Old 04-01-2018, 05:31 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,881 Likes on 1,532 Posts

Originally Posted by Contadino
If anyone wants to get rid of their kick down function, pm me. This is for the 991.1 and any car with the same accelerator pedal.
Can you elaborate on the forum instead of PM? Do you have a hack? A product or service? I'm sure there are lots of people interested, depending on what the solution is...

Last edited by pfbz; 04-01-2018 at 07:27 PM.
Old 04-01-2018, 05:58 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
Can you elaborate on the forum instead of PM? Do yo have a hack? A product or service? I'm sure there are lots of people interested, depending on what the solution is...
+1 I’d love to be able to rapidly go full throttle without worrying about car suddenly engaging full psychopath mode.

Quick Reply: Cobb Accessport~ PDK flashing. Not worth it.