991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me decide - S / 4S / GTS / 4GTS

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017 | 12:32 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

My first NEW P-car was a great deal on a two year lease Base. SO glad I did this. What I thought I wanted and what I actually want have changed considerably over the past two years.
Old 11-28-2017 | 12:38 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jzips
the C2S is already vastly powerful and more car than anyone other than a professional driver can maximize.
I don't know why people keep making arguments like this. Putting the throttle down is the easiest possible thing you can do with a sports car. Pushing the car to the limit through a corner definitely requires skill, but straight acceleration? Not remotely. Particularly in a PDK car.

Of course you can't apply that acceleration forever, or as much as the car really wants, but if you're going 0-60 or 0-70 because you're turning on to a high speed road or expressway, that's definitely time to experience the full power of any of the cars in the 911 lineup. Including the Turbo S.

Now, if you want to argue "the C2S has more power than I personally enjoy," there's no arguing with that. But the blanket assertion that "only professional drivers" can enjoy the higher-powered cars is ridiculous.

As I said in my previous post, how much acceleration is "enough" to have fun is a very personal thing, and it changes with time. When I got my first car that could do 0-60 in under 5 seconds that was scary fast to me, because I was comparing it to much, much slower cars (and 5 seconds was quite fast for the 90's). With time I got used to it, and it became the new normal for me. Now my enjoyment threshold is a bit higher than that.
Old 11-28-2017 | 01:01 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

In the naturally aspirated past, I think the GTS was more of a genuine upgrade because the engine was better in that model than the S. Now they are identical save for the size of the blowers.
If you're going to trivialize the difference this way, they were identical in the naturally aspirated past as well, since the difference was primarily air intake. The engine wasn't "better." Yeah, there were more parts involved, including changes to the cylinder heads, but at root it was about a modification that fed the engine more air at high RPM. The NA version of "bigger blowers."

My own take is that for most drivers, the 991.1 GTS wasn't worth it, because difference didn't show up until above 6500 RPM. Great if you were tracking the car, and unquestionably better there, but for street driving it was unnoticeable. Even for a 0-70 sprint, you only spent a fraction of your time in that band. It worked best if you got above 6500 RPM and stayed there, which was impractical off the track.

In contrast, the 991.2 GTS while a conceptually simpler improvement, puts the power where most of us will actually use it. Anything above 2000 RPM shows a marked boost in torque.

In short, by focusing on your perceptions of how complicated the hardware is, you've inverted the actual value of the upgrades for most drivers. Most drivers are going to get far more out of the 991.2 upgrade than out of the 991.1 upgrade.
Old 11-28-2017 | 01:21 PM
Jzips
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad
I don't know why people keep making arguments like this.
I’m writing from the perspective of someone who tracks my car. You might understand it better once you experience pushing a car to its limits. Very different from driving on a freeway. Until you attempt to drive at the limit, you might not understand what these cars are capable of and therefore might think that you need to “upgrade” the car as opposed to improving your driving, It’s really a question of what driving means to you.
Old 11-28-2017 | 01:36 PM
R_Rated
Banned

IMO - even if the power was the same between the GTS and S - think of the GTS as an options package that gets you a whole lot more. For one you get a Wide Body RWD 911 which alone is special. I'm not current with the #2 car options but add everything the GTS gets you to an S outside of the power kit and you've already spent more money. Non Porschephiles won't know the difference but Porsche people appreciate the GTS as being special. Aside from prestige, the included options make it a bargain when shopping new.

AND - you get a little more power
Old 11-28-2017 | 01:41 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Maybe it will helpful to the OP if I explained my rationale as to why I picked the C4S intead of a C4 or GTS models.
a) wanted awd. C4 allocations were impossible to get so had to go for the 4s.
b) don’t care for the standard features of the GTS models such as front fascia, SE, sport PASM, centerlock black wheels, Alcantara, black logo etc. All these can be deleted except the SE but then, why bother with the GTS.
Old 11-28-2017 | 01:41 PM
R_Rated
Banned

I’m writing from the perspective of someone who tracks my car. You might understand it better once you experience pushing a car to its limits. Very different from driving on a freeway. Until you attempt to drive at the limit, you might not understand what these cars are capable of and therefore might think that you need to “upgrade” the car as opposed to improving your driving, It’s really a question of what driving means to you.
My track car is ~200bhp and has calico, non matching body panels. That car is still more advanced than me Humbling is the word that comes to mind. I envy those of you that have the *****, finances and ability to actually push these cars on the track. My 911 has seen 2 track days and the limits are so scary for me! haha. Scary 75% because I'm scared to damage it $$$.
Old 11-28-2017 | 01:58 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Since you're a wide body fan, If you don't need AWD, then get the GTS, othwrise 4 GTS. You cant go wrong with the extra power in the GTS,
Old 11-28-2017 | 02:01 PM
ducstar
Instructor

Originally Posted by AnandN
It is a fairly easy decision once you do some research and get on the Porsche configurator.
A. Do you need / want AWD?
B. Do you want the options lumped in the GTS models?
Believe me I’ve configured every model a million times 🙂
Old 11-28-2017 | 02:22 PM
ahughes3214
Advanced

If not already, make sure you drive both the 2 and 4 wheel to judge yourself. To me there is a definite difference at speed. The 4 felt more planted and stable to me. I went with the 4 for this reason even though the car does not see winters.
Old 11-28-2017 | 02:32 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

If I were ordering new I'd have a hard time justifying anything other than a base model. Even the new base model is faster than my 991.1 S. To me, that makes it a great value.

Of course, rear-axle steering would be ideal, so then the Carrera T is the best choice... but from the looks of it, you're looking for something more "refined" by wanting PDK/18-way. The "S" might be your best fit.
Old 11-28-2017 | 02:53 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Here's an awesome 2017 C4S that fits into your budget. It has less than 5K miles and it has a manual transmission (not sure if that's a deal breaker).

http://porsche.niello.com/details?in...643U&id=103263
Old 11-28-2017 | 03:03 PM
kahane18
Racer

I chose this last week....that big rump had me smitten
Old 11-28-2017 | 07:12 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Yep, I have been on this road (see my former posts lol, I got it figured out).

If you do not need AWD then go for a GTS, and if you want AWD then 4GTS

C4S and S are not bad cars at all. Trust me all of these 4 models are damn good.

It all depends on the price that you are paying.
Old 11-28-2017 | 08:38 PM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

I went C4S since I couldn't find GTS and learned that the AWD provided some performance advantages on its own.

I then added techart springs, vorsteiner carbon diffuser, chin spoiler, and rear baby duck, PSE, and then Brixton Forged wheels in 20.

I prefer it over the GTS now as I don't care for alcantara interior, and like the ventilated seats.

I think you need to ask yourself:
1. Do you like Alcantara interior?
2. Do you like the center lock wheels?
3. Do you need AWD or is it just for appearance? I live in the west and don't drive the car in bad weather, but like the performance advantages AWD gives me.
4. Do you think you'd notice the power bump from the GTS? I didn't really feel it.

My car has a more aggressive look than a GTS does now and I have 5 lug wheels, which for a street car I prefer.

I also agree with the price range statement above. It would also seem that with Cobb tuning now on the 991.2 that the power advantage of the GTS is less important.

Quick Reply: Help me decide - S / 4S / GTS / 4GTS