Sponsored by:

Carpet replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 11:42 PM
RYE
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Carpet replacement

Thinking about replacing my carpet. I have the agate pebble grey two tone interior and the pebble grey carpet is no longer looking good. Will switch to the darker agate grey color carpet - same way as the new 991s have the darker carpet with two tone interiors.

Anyway - has anyone replaced their carpet? How much? Do at dealer or 3rd party? Any shop recommendations for Connecticut area?

Thanks
Old 11-21-2017, 08:39 AM
See U n RearView
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Lightbulb

I found a >thread< about sound deadening and it seems that the carpet removal, and in your case replace could be a DIY

Good luck
Old 11-21-2017, 10:13 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

I'd say, try cleaning the bad spots, maybe even rent an extractor from Home Depot, and then buy new, darker, floor matts from Porsche or Lloyds.

Or, take to a trusted detailer, have the bad areas cleaned, then buy new floor matts.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:54 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
I'd say, try cleaning the bad spots, maybe even rent an extractor from Home Depot, and then buy new, darker, floor matts from Porsche or Lloyds.

Or, take to a trusted detailer, have the bad areas cleaned, then buy new floor matts.
I have the same carpet and the same problem. The issue is that the carpet areas only cover so many spaces. The mats themselves are already the darker agate gray color, the carpets are the lighter pebble gray color that matches the seats. Especially in the footwell, around the dead pedal and to the right of the gas pedal, your foot hits the carpet above the mats. It can be cleaned, but it's a PITA to have to do it all the time. My F10 BMW 5 series had the same color interior but had black carpets. Was much better.

I'd love to do this myself provided it's not hard and not prohibitively expensive.

Does anyone have a link to the actual carpet set themselves? I searched Sunset but never can find anything there.
Old 11-22-2017, 12:04 AM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Received 891 Likes on 462 Posts

I replaced my carpets in two previous Porsches. Both were for color changes. In both cases I purchased the carpet kits from GAHH. The kits came pre-cut for each set with extra carpet where there may be fit issues. The quality was excellent, the material was exactly what the factory was using for the respective year and the finished job was as good as the factory. The job was very labor intensive however, the seats have to come out and in my case the door panels had to come off. All in all I spent about 40 hours to complete the job.
So it can be done, the only tools needed where for disassembly and both spray and brush on contact cement.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:41 AM
Arcoril
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got the same interior combo that you have and my secret to keeping carpet clean is Folex. It's only about $6 at Home Depot, but you can also get it from Amazon:
Amazon Amazon

Carpet is still perfect after 21k miles:
Old 11-22-2017, 09:49 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

In my case, I would prefer the look of the darker carpet anyway. That’s a large part of my motivation.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:12 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 857 Likes on 432 Posts

WeatherTech mats have really kept my gray carpet looking good.

Well worth the investment.

If/When ordering another car....... black carpet only please.

Old 11-28-2017, 03:32 PM
RYE
Racer

Thanks everyone for replying.

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Does anyone have a link to the actual carpet set themselves? I searched Sunset but never can find anything there.
I sent Suncoast Porsche an email but haven't heard back yet.
If anyone knows how to source replacement carpets please let us know!

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
In my case, I would prefer the look of the darker carpet anyway. That €™s a large part of my motivation.
This is exactly my main motivation as well.

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
If/When ordering another car....... black carpet only please.
Yes!

Originally Posted by LexVan
i tried going down this route with professional cleaning equipment with little improvement and also had the dealer inspect it and assess options - which is basically replace at this point. Bottom line is I don't want to deal with a light color carpet in my car anymore.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:49 AM
Restore
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi, I just did this on my new-to-me '13 C4S. There's no DIY I've seen. I did not photo document the procedure but can describe what I've done and the tips/tricks at some point. First step is ordering the carpet. I used a local dealer (not the closest to me). If you can get a part number, you can get quotes. The last two digits are the color code I believe. I found that dealers varied in their prices (probably as allowed for in their mark-up schema with Porsche - no different than any other dealership network). The front carpet is tubbed on the 991 and does not extend all the way under the center console. It includes the footwell area behind the two seats but not the carpet under and behind the jump seats (probably that is good anyhow). If you're not changing the color then one part number will include both pieces for the front. It included the carpet hold-downs but not the dead-pedal (which I kept and swapped). This retails for close to $1000 but I purchased for $970 or something. I got quotes as high as $1100. The dealers were also nebulous since no-one seemed to have ordered this before. I think they were not sure what their shipping cost (to them, or to me would be). The carpet comes in a approx 5 foot x 3 foot by 1 1/2 foot box weighing maybe 30-40 lbs. I picked it up at the dealer directly. Ohh, it needs to be special manufactured in Germany so you'll be waiting close to 8 weeks. I found it is worth it. There's no cleaning Pebble (it's basically off-white). If you DIY you'll need a M10 XZM male socket to remove the seat belt bolts and don't forget to disconnect the battery before unplugging the seat electrical connectors. Seats can be easily unbolted. Removal is easy, reinstallation is tricky getting the inside carpet edges up and under the center console areas. I did not disassemble but the shop manual probably calls for that....I have more info if you want/proceed.
-Dan.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:47 AM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 80 Posts

I had that interior in my last car. I had the dark floor mats and used Griot’s interior cleaner once a week on any dirty areas.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:09 PM
RYE
Racer

Originally Posted by Restore
Hi, I just did this on my new-to-me '13 C4S. There's no DIY I've seen. I did not photo document the procedure but can describe what I've done and the tips/tricks at some point. First step is ordering the carpet. I used a local dealer (not the closest to me). If you can get a part number, you can get quotes. The last two digits are the color code I believe. I found that dealers varied in their prices (probably as allowed for in their mark-up schema with Porsche - no different than any other dealership network). The front carpet is tubbed on the 991 and does not extend all the way under the center console. It includes the footwell area behind the two seats but not the carpet under and behind the jump seats (probably that is good anyhow). If you're not changing the color then one part number will include both pieces for the front. It included the carpet hold-downs but not the dead-pedal (which I kept and swapped). This retails for close to $1000 but I purchased for $970 or something. I got quotes as high as $1100. The dealers were also nebulous since no-one seemed to have ordered this before. I think they were not sure what their shipping cost (to them, or to me would be). The carpet comes in a approx 5 foot x 3 foot by 1 1/2 foot box weighing maybe 30-40 lbs. I picked it up at the dealer directly. Ohh, it needs to be special manufactured in Germany so you'll be waiting close to 8 weeks. I found it is worth it. There's no cleaning Pebble (it's basically off-white). If you DIY you'll need a M10 XZM male socket to remove the seat belt bolts and don't forget to disconnect the battery before unplugging the seat electrical connectors. Seats can be easily unbolted. Removal is easy, reinstallation is tricky getting the inside carpet edges up and under the center console areas. I did not disassemble but the shop manual probably calls for that....I have more info if you want/proceed.
-Dan.
This is really helpful, thank you! I am in the process of sourcing the carpets, and am undecided whether to tackle the install myself or let the do it. Dealer quoted me just under $1200 for labor and I have a $250 voucher. So for under $1,000 I might just have the dealer do it.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:24 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Restore
-Dan.
Can you post the part numbers?

Also, sounds like you had the Agate / Pebble interior. Assuming you went with Agate gray carpets? Care to post some pics? Would love to see the end result!
Old 12-14-2017, 01:06 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Not sure about the labor, but honestly if you are able to remove the seats, seat belts, you should be able to replace the carpet as a DIY. I just glanced at the pricing for the carpet (part-only) and looks like you can find the 991-551-011 part series for LL cars from $850-$1000 USD not including shipping. The color code of course for the Agate Grey version is GHE. I also noted that there was a difference in the catalog between the <MY14 and >MY14 for some reason. Perhaps some minor change in fastener or something....
Old 12-15-2017, 07:35 AM
Restore
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The part number from my invoice is: 99155101100GME (Pebble grey floor carpet). I agree with Plenum for some reason there is a pre 2014 and post 2014 listing in the parts index and actually I think Pebble isn't listed for 2013 (I think it is an error in the index). At any rate what I received worked for me. Thankfully there isn't any difference in the floor pan. The seat mounts probably are not different however there is a difference in parts number depending on your seat. I have the 18 way sport seats. It is best to check with a dealer but you can use this part number as a starting manouver. I'd given them your VIN to cross reference as well. There are perforated cut outs in the bottom of the carpet but nothing is cut out when you receive it. As far as labor I'm not sure if I understand correctly from above. Is the labor $1200. in addition to the carpet? I'd say probably - making DIY a 50% savings. The removal is easy - it pulls out fairly easily as it is tucked under things only an inch or so. It does go far under the rear center hump but I was able to pull it out without removal of the rear seat bottom (just lifting up the ends). Reinstall is a little harder. I'll post this weekend if I can. I'll see if I can post step by step directions.
- Dan

Quick Reply: Carpet replacement