Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fellow NA 991 owners-what would it take for you to embrace 991.2/992?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 04:02 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts
Default Fellow NA 991 owners-what would it take for you to embrace 991.2/992?

Wait-hear me out. I currently have a 991.1 GTS 7 spd coupe which I love and am on 'the list' for a GT3T 6 spd. I may get a car in 2018, but I am really in no hurry. I was reading in another forum that Porsche may really dial up the performance of the 992 to make it more competitive and enticing. It got me thinking, at what point would the hp/torque numbers be too compelling to pass up? By all accounts they have significantly improved the turbo lag in the new cars which is a big factor for me. I like round numbers and am thinking maybe 500 hp/500 torque, with the option of x51 pckg bringing it to 550. Put this in a car/chassis that weighs the same as it does now. Oh, and it needs to sound a little better too, ala the turbocharged engines of Ferrari/Mercedes. If Porsche could check these boxes, like they seem to be doing with the turbo lag, I think it would be a hard package to pass up. Thoughts??
Jim
Old 11-19-2017, 04:17 PM
9914s
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 139 Posts

Im in the same boat my dealer says I might get an allocation for a GT3 mid next year. But if I don’t get it I will wait for the 992. Some time ago someone posted that the 992 S is was going to have around 460 hp. So maybe about 490 for the GTS.
Old 11-19-2017, 04:29 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Jim - if what you say happens, I would seriously consider it, but will add to, not replace the GTS
Old 11-19-2017, 04:38 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,159 Likes on 562 Posts

I don't need any more than the 430 hp my 991.1 GTS cab has to offer. It is a perfect daily driver and grand tourer. It's off-the-line speed can't match the 991.2 GTS but I don't care. It is plenty fast for my purposes. I just don't enjoy driving turbo charged sports cars - turbo lag (very small in the 991.2 but it is there), turbo whistle, and I prefer the NA engine's power delivery. I plan on holding on to my 991.1 GTS for a long, long time. As I have said elsewhere in RL, if I ever buy another 911, it will be a naturally aspirated GT model. Like you and 9914s, I am on the wait list for a GT3 (and GT3 RS) allocation. If I do not get one or the other, I will be quite content with my GTS going forward.
Old 11-19-2017, 05:02 PM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
I don't need any more than the 430 hp my 991.1 GTS cab has to offer. It is a perfect daily driver and grand tourer. It's off-the-line speed can't match the 991.2 GTS but I don't care. It is plenty fast for my purposes. I just don't enjoy driving turbo charged sports cars - turbo lag (very small in the 991.2 but it is there), turbo whistle, and I prefer the NA engine's power delivery. I plan on holding on to my 991.1 GTS for a long, long time. As I have said elsewhere in RL, if I ever buy another 911, it will be a naturally aspirated GT model. Like you and 9914s, I am on the wait list for a GT3 (and GT3 RS) allocation. If I do not get one or the other, I will be quite content with my GTS going forward.
Apart from the part about being on a GT3 waitlist, I echo everything this individual just said. I just dont feel I need any more power. If that changes I might do a 4.0 conversion on the GTS Cab I have. Am too far
down the modification rabbit-hole and love the car too much ever to sell unless circumstances drastically change.

Its currently in the stereo shop having some work done (one of the midrange speakers is playing up) and I miss it. I miss it like its a person.
Old 11-19-2017, 05:10 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Porsche needs to continue increasing performance specs to sell cars and also to retain its kind of the hill status however, at what point is it just too much car for the street? Arguably, this was maxed out with a base 996... or earlier... each owner needs to find the balance of experience, performance and electronics that speaks to them.

what would it take for me? A lighter NA car. But... probably not gonna happen.

I have a GT3 allocation to go with my 6 year old car but not replace it. I need my cab to show off my frosted tips
Old 11-19-2017, 05:16 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

The more performance Porsche puts in their cars the less interested I am getting. My Base 2016 with only 350 HP is too fast for the street. 2nd gear has me at 70+ MPH. I do that getting onto the freeway but then I can't just shift into 7th and cruise, I have to make a stop at 5th or 6th first which is a whole other story.

The one thing Porsche is doing that I like is pushing technology down. I'm sure the 992 will have 20 or so more HP than the 991.2 so that would put the Base at 390 HP +/-. So give me a Base 992 with SPASM, FAL, Big Red S brakes, SC, PDK, and PSE AND shorter final gearing and they would have my interest. I'd happily to give up 50+ MPH on the top end to get quicker / funner 0-100.

In the meantime, I'm going to turn in my 2016 at the end of the lease and just enjoy my 964.
Old 11-19-2017, 05:40 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
Wait-hear me out. I currently have a 991.1 GTS 7 spd coupe which I love and am on 'the list' for a GT3T 6 spd. I may get a car in 2018, but I am really in no hurry. I was reading in another forum that Porsche may really dial up the performance of the 992 to make it more competitive and enticing. It got me thinking, at what point would the hp/torque numbers be too compelling to pass up? By all accounts they have significantly improved the turbo lag in the new cars which is a big factor for me. I like round numbers and am thinking maybe 500 hp/500 torque, with the option of x51 pckg bringing it to 550. Put this in a car/chassis that weighs the same as it does now. Oh, and it needs to sound a little better too, ala the turbocharged engines of Ferrari/Mercedes. If Porsche could check these boxes, like they seem to be doing with the turbo lag, I think it would be a hard package to pass up. Thoughts??
Jim
There is absolutely ZERO chance that the next Carrera will have 500 HP. The current GTS at 450 HP is already too close to the Capital-T Turbo. Nor does it need it.

Originally Posted by rkwfxd
The more performance Porsche puts in their cars the less interested I am getting. My Base 2016 with only 350 HP is too fast for the street. 2nd gear has me at 70+ MPH. I do that getting onto the freeway but then I can't just shift into 7th and cruise, I have to make a stop at 5th or 6th first which is a whole other story.

The one thing Porsche is doing that I like is pushing technology down. I'm sure the 992 will have 20 or so more HP than the 991.2 so that would put the Base at 390 HP +/-. So give me a Base 992 with SPASM, FAL, Big Red S brakes, SC, PDK, and PSE AND shorter final gearing and they would have my interest. I'd happily to give up 50+ MPH on the top end to get quicker / funner 0-100.

In the meantime, I'm going to turn in my 2016 at the end of the lease and just enjoy my 964.
I agree.

What would get me to fall in love with a 992 Carrera, and not lust for a GT3? More sports car, less GT.

Let's face it, the increase in the wheelbase was a huge paradigm shift for the 911, the likes of which haven't been seen since the later air cooled years (forget which year upgraded the suspension). That, plus the switch to EPS, and the initially baulky 7 speed manual plus continuing improvements to the PDK meant that the 991 morphed into more of a GT car than ever. Cue the torquey GTS's 928 comparisons. What would I like to see in the 992?
  • Further tuning of the 991.2's suspension. The 991.2 suspension is definitely an improvement over the .1 in terms of performance. But it's not as lively as a 997. Let's get it there. Use the lessons learned from the GT3's and inject some of that mojo in the base Carreras.
  • Further refinement of the EPS system. Getting better. Needs to continue.
  • Shorter gearing. Weissach, listen: 7 gears means plenty of opportunities for overdrive. I should not be topping out at 80 in second. Let me wind this sucker out! Seems as if you are starting to see the light with the 911 T's shorter gearing. Keep moving in that direction.
  • Weight reduction - it's all the rage. You've done it with the Panamera and Cayenne. Time to apply it where it matters most. Entirely doable.
  • The 911 T is a step in the right direction. Quite honestly, that kind of ethos should be standard. Let buyers load up the 911 with luxo-goods if wanted. Keep the cost down and focus on performance in the base car.
  • Exhaust sound....call Mercedes. They are doing turbo sounds right. Even the GT2 isn't quite that melodic. I wouldn't let it stop me from buying the car, but it certainly can't hurt
I could probably think of more but it's Sunday afternoon and my brain is not at capacity. But THIS is what Porsche needs to do. They don't need to chase big HP numbers. Their cars already destroy cars with bigger numbers. Sharpen the scalpel, don't make the hammer bigger.
Old 11-19-2017, 05:57 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 314 Posts

All I can say is that I'll certainly test drive a 992 when they come out... and if it suits me, I'll trade mine in. If not, no biggie!
Old 11-19-2017, 06:12 PM
.2PDK
Drifting

Received 1,203 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by koala
All I can say is that I'll certainly test drive a 992 when they come out... and if it suits me, I'll trade mine in. If not, no biggie!
Same here, I'll test drive it till I'm sure the difference in price is worth the difference in driving enjoyment.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:20 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

One other thing. I recently got to drive a .2 coupe and cab on a very short, very slow AX course. Yep turbo lag is there, but only at the start. Even on this slow speed course I could not feel the lag once I got past the first turn. I believe PDK with SC and launch control would fix that for me. The coupe was planted the entire time. The cab, with the extra weight in the back was a bit tail happy. Even so, I was able to modulate the throttle and keep is drifting yet inside the cones. I'm not that great of a driver, the .2 is just super easy to control.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:44 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

By the way, I think this thread is more appropriately titled “what do you wish to see in the 992” as it’s not just about “converting” 991.1 owners, but keeping us all engaged as cars get more digital.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:57 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
There is absolutely ZERO chance that the next Carrera will have 500 HP. The current GTS at 450 HP is already too close to the Capital-T Turbo. Nor does it need it.

I agree.

What would get me to fall in love with a 992 Carrera, and not lust for a GT3? More sports car, less GT.

Let's face it, the increase in the wheelbase was a huge paradigm shift for the 911, the likes of which haven't been seen since the later air cooled years (forget which year upgraded the suspension). That, plus the switch to EPS, and the initially baulky 7 speed manual plus continuing improvements to the PDK meant that the 991 morphed into more of a GT car than ever. Cue the torquey GTS's 928 comparisons. What would I like to see in the 992?
  • Further tuning of the 991.2's suspension. The 991.2 suspension is definitely an improvement over the .1 in terms of performance. But it's not as lively as a 997. Let's get it there. Use the lessons learned from the GT3's and inject some of that mojo in the base Carreras.
  • Further refinement of the EPS system. Getting better. Needs to continue.
  • Shorter gearing. Weissach, listen: 7 gears means plenty of opportunities for overdrive. I should not be topping out at 80 in second. Let me wind this sucker out! Seems as if you are starting to see the light with the 911 T's shorter gearing. Keep moving in that direction.
  • Weight reduction - it's all the rage. You've done it with the Panamera and Cayenne. Time to apply it where it matters most. Entirely doable.
  • The 911 T is a step in the right direction. Quite honestly, that kind of ethos should be standard. Let buyers load up the 911 with luxo-goods if wanted. Keep the cost down and focus on performance in the base car.
  • Exhaust sound....call Mercedes. They are doing turbo sounds right. Even the GT2 isn't quite that melodic. I wouldn't let it stop me from buying the car, but it certainly can't hurt
I could probably think of more but it's Sunday afternoon and my brain is not at capacity. But THIS is what Porsche needs to do. They don't need to chase big HP numbers. Their cars already destroy cars with bigger numbers. Sharpen the scalpel, don't make the hammer bigger.
That's just it though. If they bring out the 992 with the old predictable 20hp increases over the previous model for $135K for a Carrera S with a few options boxes checked, everyone will yawn and the sales declines will continue. I think there will have to be a bigger change and wow factor at some point. The competition is too good.

Jim
Old 11-19-2017, 07:06 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,143 Likes on 982 Posts

I need shorter gear throws. I am a manual guy and I really don't like going 80+ mph in second gear in my 991.2 or 981. I like to row through the gears. I can live with the turbo sound. I love the low end torque - that is really cool. I don't need any more HP than my base 991.2.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:02 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf

Right. Lets not forget the conspiracy of neutering the cayman to not overlap the 911 until the GT4. Porsche will also protect the bar that is set by the Turbo line. Pun intended in bar. At least until all the 991 turbo CPO is gone.

Quick Reply: Fellow NA 991 owners-what would it take for you to embrace 991.2/992?