Sponsored by:

Sport Cup 2s Wow

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 11:22 AM
usccharles
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Sport Cup 2s Wow

Just wanted to give my feedback on Michellin Pilot Sport Cup 2s.

My first out-of-factory tires were Pirelli P Zeros. After first day of track day, 6 x 20min sessions, my tires already looked and felt worn down. My next two following track days, with similar amount of sessions, already the rubber felt shot and i was sliding everywhere pulling seconds slower than my fastest lap on the first track day.

I got a puncture a few days later so thought it would be a good day to switch out tires to Sport Cup 2s, which I was lucky to secure. Just wanted to try out what all the fuss was about (they're always sold out in Korea)

Dang... what a different car. this is what all 911s should come out of factory stock. Compared to Cup 2s, P Zeros honestly suck. I did 7 x 20 sessions today, 31psi front 35psi rear hot, same as I was in the P Zeros, and my tires stayed consistently sticky til the end and they currently look pretty durable, like they can easily do couple more track days without any issue.

i'm clearly a novice of novices, I have no ability to objectively evaluate cars or tires, and I know in fact I'm more of an issue than my tires can ever be to my car. but considering that given the same human, just changing tires got me times consistently faster than my previous P Zero times. 8 seconds on average in fact. and my tires look and feel just fine after a full day at the track. it is very impressive in my books!

just my two cents on anyone looking into Cup 2s for their tires. I recommend over P Zeros for sure
Old 11-14-2017, 11:36 AM
Vise
Drifting

Received 323 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by usccharles
just my two cents on anyone looking into Cup 2s for their tires. I recommend over P Zeros for sure
Agreed, I made the same switch last summer (2016) and have done around 12 track days on the Cup 2's since then. The fronts are pretty much shot now but I'm impressed on how long they've lasted with many sessions over many track days the past 2 summers.

Had the same experience with the stock P-Zero's as well, after my first track day they looked a bit ragged and never had quite the same grip. I'm also impressed with how the Cup 2's work for daily use, no issues in rain or even cold weather in the fall prior to switching onto winter tires.

I suppose I could get better wear + slightly less ultimate grip (and some minimal $ savings) via the Michelin PS4S so I've considered the change... but since I've now gotten a feel for the grip of the Cup 2's on the track it will be hard to go with anything else.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:42 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

You mind taking some pics to see how they look on the wheels? Front and rear.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:45 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

I took my PZero-shod 15 GTS to a short tight track when they had 7000 miles and in one 5-session day was able to destroy them (that was actually my goal -- was planning to use them up so I could replace with MPSS with good conscience.)

The MPSS made a dramatic difference. Then when I got GT4 with Sport Cup 2s... whoa! Another big jump in grip (although with a different car that's hard to evaluate). Longevity is impressing me as well. I just hit 8200 miles on original tires. As I got the car with 4500 and no track days under its belt, and have now used it for two long hot track days and still have decent street-worthy tread, I'm very impressed.

It's my first set of MPSC2s, but I typically have to replace rear MPS2/MPSS on Carreras or Turbos I've owned within 8k miles, and even a Boxster S (264hp) I had in the mid-2000s would roast them by 10,000 with no track days. So getting at least 9000 out of these with a couple of track days is really impressing me.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:47 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would try for 33-34 hot rears. Above 35 they start to get greasy. Check pressures right after session with hand gauge. Try it. Had sport cup 2s on my GT3.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:47 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

...After first day of track day, 6 x 20min sessions, my tires already looked and felt worn down. My next two following track days, with similar amount of sessions, already the rubber felt shot and i was sliding everywhere pulling seconds slower than my fastest lap on the first track day.
Sounds to me like you need a "Low Power Detune" button.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:00 PM
usccharles
Pro

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Sounds to me like you need a "Low Power Detune" button.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Lol yeah... but not on track days!

I send pics of tires tomorrow. Nite nite time here but here is a snap of my run today. The highest g I ever reached on p zeros were 1.3 ish. Was doing 1.5 with the cup2s today. I’m sure those experienced can do and sustain better but again I was very impressed coming from me

Old 11-14-2017, 12:06 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,580 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Dang... what a different car. this is what all 911s should come out of factory stock.
Disagree.

They are primarily a track tire. Perfect for what you are using them for, but comproimsed elsewhere. The previous gen was downright scary in the rain by all reports.

The Pilot Super Sport (now Pilot Sport PS4S) are the better tire for standard (i.e. non-GT) 911's as the majority of them do not see track use. Agree that the PZeros aren't great. What would be nice was if the PS4S's were standard and the Cup tires an option.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:11 PM
usccharles
Pro

Originally Posted by seapar
Would try for 33-34 hot rears. Above 35 they start to get greasy. Check pressures right after session with hand gauge. Try it. Had sport cup 2s on my GT3.

Will try for sure next time. I also thought a psi or two lower in the rear would be good but ran out of track time today. Plus it was so cold today, 7 degrees C, it took too long for the tires to warm up that I feared starting the session any lower than what I had would take too long to warm up. Thanks.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:20 PM
Lava Fire
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a bit of an unfair comparison between the Pirelli PZero and the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2. The more apples to apples comparison I think would be:
  • Michelin Sport Cup 2 vs. Pirelli PZero Trofeo R, or
  • Pirelli PZero to Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
In any case, it's good to hear what people's experiences have been with different tires, so thanks for the posts.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:19 AM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Lava Fire
It's a bit of an unfair comparison between the Pirelli PZero and the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2. The more apples to apples comparison I think would be:
  • Michelin Sport Cup 2 vs. Pirelli PZero Trofeo R, or
  • Pirelli PZero to Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
In any case, it's good to hear what people's experiences have been with different tires, so thanks for the posts.
^^^^1
Old 11-15-2017, 01:30 AM
usccharles
Pro

Originally Posted by STG
Here you go pics of all four tires.

I'm really impressed at how well they all wore. And happy the wear looks relatively even on all four patches. I just recently got an alignment done with the new tires at Porsche service and the service center in Korea will not adjust the camper or toe to any spec but the factory spec. its only after the first track event on these tires but the wear looks promising
Attached Images     
Old 11-15-2017, 05:16 AM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Did you get N0 or N1?
Old 11-15-2017, 07:21 AM
usccharles
Pro

Originally Posted by randr
Did you get N0 or N1?
I believe N0s. have to check when i get home
Old 11-15-2017, 07:22 AM
usccharles
Pro

Originally Posted by STG
here are two corners of the front and rear sidewalls i also took this morning. let me know if you want to see something more

and i see that i took picture of N0!
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Sport Cup 2s Wow