Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just for fun - What's it like to own a Porsche 911?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 08:26 AM
DNorby
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once I saw a woman driving one, that was a certain kind of sexy. I get more attention from women when I drive a pickup truck. All the unwanted attention comes from the young and old male population. Every now and then, a woman may smile at me in my 911....I instantly reach to my rear pocket to see if my wallet is still where it should be

Women like the Cayenne, men like the 911, I have both and spend most of my time alone

I don't really care what people think when I am driving the 911. I kind of ignore everyone around me and sometimes drive the hell out of it.

I do like the 911 and find myself wanting a GT3 Touring Edition.

Buy the one you desire and don't worry about anyone else and their opinion. It is a great motor vehicle that will outrun 99% of the cars in my town.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:53 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Get ready middle and lower middle class dads to offer to trade you straight up for their trashed vans and continue to explain how serious they are...

These are the types that always wanna have a stop and chat... sometimes its okay and sometimes I just want to be on my way.

Old 11-13-2017, 09:24 AM
phow
Pro

Received 234 Likes on 114 Posts

Porsche, Mercedes, Audi, and BMW are all a dime a dozen where I live. But for whatever reason my 911 gets a decent amount of attention. I think it’s probably the color.

Either way, I’m just glad it’s mostly positive attention. Rarely do I get asked cringe worthy questions such as “how much money do you make?” or “can I sit in it?” when trying to fill up at the gas station, like I have with other sports/super cars. It’s usually the occasional thumbs up and “nice Porsche!” or “I love the color!” from young and old enthusiasts.

I find that if a car attracts the wrong kind of attention (e.g. lambo’s) it will ruin the ownership experience for myself. I’m very happy the 911 seems to strike the perfect balance in this department.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:39 AM
Jaskfri
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts

I had 7 Corvettes and thought they attracted attention. I have had the 911 for 2 years and am amazed at all the positive attention it gets. It attracts young and old , men and women, car lovers and people who don't even know what kind of car it is. No one believes my car is 12 years old. nobody knows the difference between an S, a GTS, and a TT and everybody really likes it.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:10 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,289 Likes on 775 Posts

Originally Posted by pw98
1/4 the time someone in a BMW tries to or wants to race me. One time it was a van.
Funny, I get this as well and a majority of the time it's bimmers...
Old 11-13-2017, 12:11 PM
phow
Pro

Received 234 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by tse
Funny, I get this as well and a majority of the time it's bimmers...
Same here... lol
Old 11-13-2017, 12:32 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,548 Likes on 968 Posts

I don't get a huge amount of attention in my 911, and I didn't with the two that I owned before my current car. There are plenty of Porsches in my area, and it's not considered an exotic or particularly unusual car. I get the occasional question or offer to trade cars when I'm at the gas pump. I occasionally encounter a Subaru WRX who wants to race, but that's about it. Most of the time, driving a 911 is no different than driving any other car in terms of attention.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:33 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 182 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by mathfuzzy
It’s great. I’m not seeking attention from my cars and generally don’t get it. When I do, it’s almost universally been positive. I still flash lights / wave at other Porsche drivers (well, those driving 2-door P cars) on the road. At this point, im not expecting a response, but it’s great when I get one.

The thing that I find particularly great is that I’m always looking forward to getting in and driving my Porsche, even if the drive itself is boring. I love, and have always loved, the simple act of driving my Porsche.
Well said! It ALWAYS puts a smile on my face when i get behind the wheel. The car wraps your body in performance without too much attention. The ONLY problem is that you will always want ANOTHER Porsche. Air cooled, cab, coupe, track car, manual, PDK.

Once you are in you are in forever.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:40 PM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will be grinning from ear to ear if you join the local Porsche club and participate in some of their varied events. Then take your 911 to a car control clinic and then to a DE event. Your instructor will teach you to be smooth and attentive and then you’ll be hooked to do more.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:50 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Originally Posted by NA430GTS
Well said! It ALWAYS puts a smile on my face when i get behind the wheel. The car wraps your body in performance without too much attention. The ONLY problem is that you will always want ANOTHER Porsche. Air cooled, cab, coupe, track car, manual, PDK.

Isn't that the truth! A month after I got my 2018 911, I was in my local Porsche Indy and he was restoring a 1980s something 911 in Gulf blue. Half taken apart but man was it just gorgeous. I thought to myself......I need to get an air cooled 911.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:59 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by seapar
You will be grinning from ear to ear if you join the local Porsche club and participate in some of their varied events. Then take your 911 to a car control clinic and then to a DE event. Your instructor will teach you to be smooth and attentive and then you’ll be hooked to do more.
This is very true, great advice. As far as getting attention, kids especially love the car. For whatever reason once I added the wing & wheels I've been getting quite a bit more comments, especially at the gas station / parking lots. At car shows kids are always asking me to rev it, but I have to show restraint and not do it in respect for the car meet rules. Because my 911 is not my daily commuter, every time I drive it the experience is always fun. It's such a special car, and an extreme pleasure to drive, fast or slow.

Last edited by Code; 11-13-2017 at 01:28 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:07 PM
Dbull65
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Where I am in South Texas, 911s are rare, you see cayennes every once in a while. So I get a little more attention. However, when I am in my Raptor, which are a dime a dozen down here, it is completely invisible. The attention does not bother me. I truly don't care what people think. I love to drive the 911 as often as possible. It just fits.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:42 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Received 400 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by NA430GTS

Right - totally! Even though I (literally) just got a GT4, i’m thinking about how great it would be to add a GT3 Touring to the mix. And how great would it be if I could talk my wife in to replacing her X1 with a Macan GTS... Oh, yeah, and while I’m at it, I sure would love to have an early 911S again, and an open 356. Good thing I’ve got both limited space and resources!
Old 11-13-2017, 01:53 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 857 Likes on 432 Posts

991.1 911 C4S the best driving car I've ever owned.

It's going to be hard going back to anything else in it's CPO'ed price range.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:16 PM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mathfuzzy
Right - totally! Even though I (literally) just got a GT4, iÂ’m thinking about how great it would be to add a GT3 Touring to the mix. And how great would it be if I could talk my wife in to replacing her X1 with a Macan GTS... Oh, yeah, and while IÂ’m at it, I sure would love to have an early 911S again, and an open 356. Good thing IÂ’ve got both limited space and resources!
Be nice to your wife. I have had a GT4 since May 2016. At that time I had a 2015 GT3. Good complement. Since then a CPO 15 TTS. Now waiting for 18 GTS which arrives February.
These are all different and all special IMO

Quick Reply: Just for fun - What's it like to own a Porsche 911?