Sponsored by:

Heat / AC Vent Control Q 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 09:19 AM
mrmojom3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Heat / AC Vent Control Q 991.1

One thing I loved about BMW's was a setting where you could control the airflow in the mid vents seperate from the floor / windshield.

Any of you w BMW's know what I'm talking about. In a 3 series its the red / blue dial in the center of the console

So in the winter for example: you could have hot / warm air blowing on the floor but you could flip to cool air in the mid vents. This way you are warming up the floor of the car without hot air blowing in your face.

Anyways, are there settings to control the temperature to different vents? Prob a long shot. My wife's MB doesnt have it. Thought maybe there's a setting I missed in the 911
Old 11-12-2017, 09:23 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

I guess you can play with the "duel" setting and un-sync the climate control? But I don't know how you can split some of the vents like you could in your old bimmer.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:55 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Although not done quite the way you ask, there are settings under the multi-function display (MFD) that change how the delivery of the air "feels" in the car that may help you achieve a similar effect. Just in case you aren't aware, under the MFD's Vehicle menu, go to Settings->Air conditioning.

From there, you will find settings for soft/normal/strong that changes how the automatic fan settings deliver air from the vents. Also, and this one I personally like a lot, you can turn on the "extended" ventilation vents on the top of the dashboard. Between these two settings you can adjust the amount of air you feel coming across your upper body and face to be more to your preference. I like the steady/smooth flow of air from the extended vents to my face quite a bit.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:59 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Best feature about any BMW. As was said above you can turn on and off the dash panel vent but that's about it.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:05 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

A little OT, but not quite, do you keep the ac button on or off during cold season? I am assuming, (but don't know) that with ac button on, it acts like climate control and will automatically adjust temperature to what is set (ie 65 or 85 degrees). With ac button off, climate control is off and you have to adjust temps and fans manually. Is this correct or am I totally off base?
Old 11-13-2017, 11:03 AM
griffiths
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

991 HVAC Controls
Old 11-13-2017, 05:25 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
A little OT, but not quite, do you keep the ac button on or off during cold season? I am assuming, (but don't know) that with ac button on, it acts like climate control and will automatically adjust temperature to what is set (ie 65 or 85 degrees). With ac button off, climate control is off and you have to adjust temps and fans manually. Is this correct or am I totally off base?
A/C off just locks out the A/C compressor from working. System will function like normal; or rather it will TRY to function like normal but will be ineffective if cooling is needed. But auto fan and distribution adjustment will still respond as if it were in Auto.

I just run mine on year round. At times, the compressor is needed for de-humidification in the winter or you can get condensation on the windows. And the system will shut off the compressor when not needed, so you're not saving any fuel to speak of.

Quick Reply: Heat / AC Vent Control Q 991.1